South Florida Cornerbacks

CoachDannyMiaz

Fyre Fest Influencer
I was watching the starting lineups for Sunday Night Football, Raiders vs Chiefs and when they showed the Raiders secondary, all three of their Cornerbacks were from the Fort Lauderdale area. None went to school in state though.

Trayvon Mullen: Coconut Creek to Clemson to Raiders 2nd rd pick
Damon Arnette: St. Thomas Aquinas to Ohio State to Raiders 1st rd pick
Nevin Lawson: Piper to Utah State to Lions 4th rd pick to Raiders free agent signing

Cornerbacks literally grow on trees down here.

It constantly blows my mind that we struggle recruiting this position of all positions in the sport.

Advertisement
I dig the physicality of Arnette’s game. We gotta sign them type of dogs
They're down here. Even if we miss on the elites, there are enough down here every year to get SOMEBODY.

I'd assume Nevin Lawson wasn't a 5 star out of Piper at 5'9, but he was enough of a dog to fight his way into a starting spot in the NFL. They're down here.

As I'm typing this one of the three just picked off Pat Mahomes.

Advertisement
I was watching the starting lineups for Sunday Night Football, Raiders vs Chiefs and when they showed the Raiders secondary, all three of their Cornerbacks were from the Fort Lauderdale area. None went to school in state though.

Nevin Lawson: Piper to Utah State to Lions 4th rd pick to Raiders free agent signing

It constantly blows my mind that we struggle recruiting this position of all positions in the sport.
they cost alot, the 01 team made those positions glorified, Sean was a phenom. The SEC saw that took the formula and made sure we would never have iconic guys like that again.

I'm pretty sure we didn't even enter into the conversation for any of those three.

It's depressing how badly we're viewed in terms of CB development. When's the last great DB to come out of Miami? Burns? DVD? No production in the NFL at all. Corn elder is our only guy right now getting any playing time, and he's marginal. It's not a good story.

100% on the coaches because we are getting good DL now, we are getting good WRs now. We've always gotten good RBs. Heck, even safety looks good right now. But CBs? Mediocre at best.

Advertisement
If Manny Diaz is your coach the position will continue to be trash. He doesn't value CBs. Check his recruiting classes since he's been here its only two positions he care about. SS and DL. Manny keeps Rumph around because Manny is just like Rumph. A coach who can't recruit, but he can teach you the basics.

JAC.... Just Another Coach

If Manny Diaz is your coach the position will continue to be trash. He doesn't value CBs. Check his recruiting classes since he's been here its only two positions he care about. SS and DL. Manny keeps Rumph around because Manny is just like Rumph. A coach who can't recruit, but he can teach you the basics.

JAC.... Just Another Coach

We’re 7-1

Advertisement
they cost alot, the 01 team made those positions glorified, Sean was a phenom. The SEC saw that took the formula and made sure we would never have iconic guys like that again.
I don't think Mullen, Arnette or Lawson were "iconic" players coming out of HS. Did UM recruit any of them?

I dig the physicality of Arnette’s game. We gotta sign them type of dogs
Arnette wasn't that great for years at OSU. His final year he took a major step forward and he was a major question mark going into that final season. Surprised he went in the first but the Raiders love his physicality and it's showing.

However, if you were a highly rated South Florida DB and you had a Clemson, OSU and Miami offer where are you going?? Take off the homer glasses...you are going to OSU and Clemson. You would be dumb to come here based on what we have seen and our lack of development and evaluations. As for the other guys that slip through the cracks...well, again, comes down to evaluations and how well you can develop guys. Most of those guys are getting developed for 3-4 years, have a great 1-2 seasons on tape then get drafted.

Anyone know how some of the under the radar SoFla DBs have looked this year?

- Derrick Edwards (Miami Palmetto) - Louisville commit
- Gabe Nealy (Gulliver Prep) - USF Commit
- Tavoris Miller (South Miami)
- Ricardo Hallman (TRU Prep) - Wisconsin Commit

Or any others we somewhat recruited or should be recruiting

Advertisement
IMO Rumph/Manny should've took 2 out of (Tim Burns, Kevin Knowles, Jaden Mcburrows)

And then targeted Marshall, Brown, Hallman, Brantley, etc. in that order for 1-2 bigger corners

Anyone know how some of the under the radar SoFla DBs have looked this year?

- Derrick Edwards (Miami Palmetto) - Louisville commit
- Gabe Nealy (Gulliver Prep) - USF Commit
- Tavoris Miller (South Miami)
- Ricardo Hallman (TRU Prep) - Wisconsin Commit

Or any others we somewhat recruited or should be recruiting

Edwards transferred to Space Coast High

I want hallman. Last time we let wisconsin come down here and take a DB it was a wildgoose and he’s turned into a dam good player. He’s also like best friends with Gilbert. Definitely could’ve had him if we pushed. But we didn’t. He’d be one of our best defensive backs if we did

Advertisement
Back