South Florida Coaches?

A couple random thoughts by me:

1) ANYONE who thinks Randy did not get a fair shot and/or who thought Randy was ever going to turn things around is completely disconnected from the facts. Randy was not ready to be a head coach at that level. Far from it.

2) For those saying coach Golden and staff need to do more to connect with the local HS coaches, what should he/they be doing that that he/they are not doing now?? Specifics, please.

im just saying those coaches were randys boys, im pretty sure the staff is doing their best to keep the relationship good, it is hard to get someone on board with you if you take the job of one of their friends

Advertisement
Just from reading that **** lukes tweets you can tell race is a factor. He feels that shannon didnt get the love or benefit of the doubt from the school or from the fans the way golden does. And he as im sure the coaches that think like him feel the double standard had to do with shannon being black. I don't get it. Look at shannons record when he got fired dude was below average at best (from a win loss perspective for miami standards).

The reality is I think for coaches like harris, luke and others of their ilk there is the university of miami pre-shannon which everyone rooted for and UM post miami which is no longer the U family it was due to how they treated him.

Golden is gonna have to deal with this soft shouldered ***gotry for the length of his time here. It will get a bettwr when we start winning but it will always be there unfortunately.

The mistake of hiring shannon permeates so many facets that its stench will be around for quite a while longer.

I'll be the first person to admit, I loved the Shannon hire. He was a great Cane linebacker. A great DC.
But my admiration for Randy turned quickly to confusion the first game of his head coaching career when we always seemed to be coming out of the huddle with 10 seconds on the play clock. He signed ESPN's top recruiting class in 2008 but did nothing to develop talent.
Sam Shields really opened my eyes. The topper was that he always seemed to be clueless on the sidelines.
It didn't take any Cane fan long to realize that Randy was just not a good head coach, that he wasn't even a mediocre head coach.
In life, if you are driven enough, you will ultimately reach your maximum level of potential, and for Randy that level is Defensive Coordinator.

I can still remember our first game under Golden and we got to the line of scrimmage with over 20 seconds allowing for an audible if necessary. Sounds trivial but that little change told me things are going to be different.

Howard, Jimmy, Dennis, Butch, Coker...all 'woods.

Race isnt the issue, it's agendas.

How many of them replaced an AA coach? The community feels UM did Randy wrong, and many will root like **** for the next guy to fail no matter what

You know for a FACT the WHOLE COMMUNITY feels Randy should still be Head Coach and they dislike Golden?

Not the whole community. Sorry for typing that. There are some who are upset over what happened to randy despite him driving the program into the ground

Yep you're right. There are a FEW who feel Randy should Have gotten another year. Like others have stated, once Golden starts winning big, hat will go out the door. From a win/loss perspective Goden hasn't done much more than Randy up to this point. That's what a FEW coaches harp on down there. Golden also hasn't taken players some of the coaches down there feel are good enough to play at Miami. On the other hand, there are alot of coaches who like Golden and his staff alot more than Shannon. Randy DIDN'T want to get with the TIMES as far as recruiting and other aspects go. There is ALWAYS going to be unhappy coaches down there. Winning will supress alot of that unhappiness/EGO. Just how it is.

Real talk...SoFla Coaches think they are owed something by sending their kids to a school. Always got their hands out, looking for something. Always looking to use the kids as a way to catapult themselves. It isn't like it doesn't happen elsewhere...hey, Gus Malzahn rides the Mitch Mustain bus to a gig at the college level...it happens...but it seems like in SoFla the coaches actively think they are owed something.

Its the environment of youth football in Dade/Broward, unfortunately.

This shouldn't be a black and white issue. That's my point. Ask yourselves this. Why the so called confusion on the DK situation? That was a feeder school for us. Why did Ice go crazy? Maybe because Al had enough of his bull***t. Why didn't Ice come with DK to meet with Al? It's not just the kids playing games. Al allowed DK to wait to signing day, he just wanted him to give him a silent.

Advertisement

How many of them replaced an AA coach? The community feels UM did Randy wrong, and many will root like **** for the next guy to fail no matter what

That is kind of crap...yes, there are some of Randy's buddies that feel slighted with Randy given the boot...the nature of the beast in SoFla, but how many schools did Randy alienate and not even go to?

Luke trashes Golden...but Luke trashed Randy, too...Luke trashed Randy for never showing up at Central, and you heard a ton of stories of Randy being very off-putting with his relationships with other local schools. Luke is just going to trash anyone that doesn't take a class of 25 filled with 40 SoFla kids and doesn't shower the entire county with rainbows and money.

That is kind of crap...yes, there are some of Randy's buddies that feel slighted with Randy given the boot...the nature of the beast in SoFla, but how many schools did Randy alienate and not even go to?

Luke trashes Golden...but Luke trashed Randy, too...Luke trashed Randy for never showing up at Central, and you heard a ton of stories of Randy being very off-putting with his relationships with other local schools. Luke is just going to trash anyone that doesn't take a class of 25 filled with 40 SoFla kids and doesn't shower the entire county with rainbows and money.

Yup. Luke is just being Luke. Don't use him as an example of how most coaches feel. Maybe very few but not the majority.

Ok, when Randy was hired I counted myself among the many who were supportive. This was a true a Miami guy as you could find - grew up in the city, played and starred at Miami, worked his way through the coaching ranks, presumably would recruit his butt off and having the backing of the local community . . . but in the end, unless you're wearing rose colored glasses, it was obvious he had to go. Maybe if he'd had prior head coaching experience at a lower level program - a MAC Conference program or Florida Atlantic, FIU - it would have worked out differently. But I don't think so. He couldn't front a big-time program. He's withdrawn, lacking in people skills and without the public presence to sell or be the front guy for a major business, which is what Miami and other programs essentially are. The development of talent under he and his staff was horrible. Then, he's either disengenuous or disengaged while his assistant coaches and recruits/players are running around with Nevin Shapiro. Ask yourself this, where would the program be today with Randy still on the sidelines?

Advertisement
Back