south florida athlete

Advertisement
Not going to get into a big thing with you over this - but what you are doing isn't analysis. You are making assumptions and broad characterizations based on your frustrations. Culture since you referenced it - this is built top down...not bottom up. Failed staffs, as you pointed out correctly...is just that, failure of the staff. All of this has nothing to do with whether a player is from Florida or not. Following your reasoning - that would mean there are no entitled kids in america in any other state except Florida. Cultures are created from leadership. So your argument should be we have a failed culture due to lack of leadership. Then we could have a more fruitful discussion on this.
That’s somewhat true. However if a kid isn’t tough and doesn’t have the work ethic the odds are low that you’re gonna be able to coach it into them. I think it’s a systemic issue with sofla youth and HS football honestly.

Before when you’d sign a kid from Miami you knew you were getting a dog that was gonna work and fight. Now, you get some but the percentages have dropped off.

Maybe we’re recruiting the wrong guys from down here but we hit so rarely on sofla kids it’s insane.

Florida, Texas and California produce. I'm biased with the number 1 drafts and Heisman Trophies from TX players. Love Miami but the swag has been gone for a while now.

You can’t deny their is a look at me attitude with sofla kids.

Think about this, Pope catches a Hail Mary at the end of the half and is smiling like we won the game with the rings on afterwards. DJ and Thomas, non-sofla kids, don’t want a thing to do with that **** after they make crucial scores in the middle of a comeback.

image.jpeg

What part of South Fla is Trevon Hill from???

Advertisement
Honestly, how did you ever become a fan of MIAMI with your visceral disdain for South Fla football players lol

its not a disdain I just think miami been overselling it for the last 15 years. These kids fathers and uncles were better than everyone else but its not like that anymore. listen to every podcast and post, this player is a beast, this player is a dog. Where is that sh*t on saturdays?Look at the top teams in america. How many are led by players from south florida?I dont think this team is as talented as what ppl make it out to be.

This topic draws ridicule every time I've posted it for the past 10+ years here or on Rivals but nobody will convince me it isn't valid. I have attended high school games in the Miami area since I was a kid in the late '60s. Those Nick Kotys teams at Gables were like mini Big Ten programs...tough and rugged in the trenches but sprinkled with dominant skill position players like Gerald Tinker. After the games we'd watch the players file off the field. They looked like 17 year old versions of Rocky Marciano.

Granted, there were like 90 players on the roster. The games were pageantry every week with huge crowds. I feel sorry for students and players especially in the south end these days. They think this is big time high school football. It is not close to big time high school football. It is similar to fans who pretend that Canes tailgating and game day atmosphere is somehow equivalent to major programs elsewhere, or what it should be here.

The Ohio high school programs still look like those Kotys teams. I have seen clips on YouTube. Consequently the Buckeye teams resemble the high school versions except with mega talented kids across the board. Meanwhile the Miami-area high school games I have attended since returning from Las Vegas in 2008 could not be more soft and pathetic. It is nothing but a desire to get into the end zone as soon as possible via some cutesy spread out prancing play. Dirty work is not necessary so why bother?

I am never surprised when the Canes spit out the same thing. These guys don't seem to have the slightest situational awareness. They celebrate a 4th quarter score to cut the deficit to 14 when you're a 14 point favorite. No need for high aspirations other than the next prance.

Yes, a few of those prancers will enter the NFL as mid to lower round draft picks. We can pretend that separates us from the likes of Virginia Tech or North Carolina.

This topic draws ridicule every time I've posted it for the past 10+ years here or on Rivals but nobody will convince me it isn't valid. I have attended high school games in the Miami area since I was a kid in the late '60s. Those Nick Kotys teams at Gables were like mini Big Ten programs...tough and rugged in the trenches but sprinkled with dominant skill position players like Gerald Tinker. After the games we'd watch the players file off the field. They looked like 17 year old versions of Rocky Marciano.

Granted, there were like 90 players on the roster. The games were pageantry every week with huge crowds. I feel sorry for students and players especially in the south end these days. They think this is big time high school football. It is not close to big time high school football. It is similar to fans who pretend that Canes tailgating and game day atmosphere is somehow equivalent to major programs elsewhere, or what it should be here.

The Ohio high school programs still look like those Kotys teams. I have seen clips on YouTube. Consequently the Buckeye teams resemble the high school versions except with mega talented kids across the board. Meanwhile the Miami-area high school games I have attended since returning from Las Vegas in 2008 could not be more soft and pathetic. It is nothing but a desire to get into the end zone as soon as possible via some cutesy spread out prancing play. Dirty work is not necessary so why bother?

I am never surprised when the Canes spit out the same thing. These guys don't seem to have the slightest situational awareness. They celebrate a 4th quarter score to cut the deficit to 14 when you're a 14 point favorite. No need for high aspirations other than the next prance.

Yes, a few of those prancers will enter the NFL as mid to lower round draft picks. We can pretend that separates us from the likes of Virginia Tech or North Carolina.

miami looks like deerfield beach on friday nights. Talented, lots of speed very unprepared.

Advertisement
just analyzing whats been going on. we continually have failed staffs. And everyone is blaming them.(and maybe rightfully so). But there is one common denominator and thats the players. Facts are facts you can decide to look deeper or just say the same redundant crap that everyone on here says. We clearly have a culture problem. 4 staffs have been unable to make better. To me that is alarming. We need kids from other states. Some of our most productive players on offense are not from florida fyi. Harley thomas and brevin. We had a room full of receivers with entitlement issues complaining last year and this year.
If it was the FL players as your silly analysis is trying to say then why haven’t any of the failed coaches been successful somewhere else outside of taking gigs as position coaches. Everyone knows football loves a recycling coaches. Chiz was trash at ISU and got a chance to win a title as head man at Aub, Champ was a failure at UF and got another SEC job that he’s still a failure at, the shark ***** was coaching circles around peepee Diaz after UF gave him the boot. This list goes on and on except for guys that fail here. Why isn’t no one else in world is astute enough to see Miami coaches got dealt a bad hand and had to deal with sfl players who don’t have “dog” in them and would thrive somewhere else. This analysis maybe worse than Flake thinking peepee Diaz would be a good HC here.

@Liberty City El i dont hate the south fla kids. I just think we need to recruit better across the US. No way you can tell me lowndes county in GA is 4 tds better than da west. They looked how we look every saturday completely overwhelmed at the LOS.

just analyzing whats been going on. we continually have failed staffs. And everyone is blaming them.(and maybe rightfully so). But there is one common denominator and thats the players. Facts are facts you can decide to look deeper or just say the same redundant crap that everyone on here says. We clearly have a culture problem. 4 staffs have been unable to make better. To me that is alarming. We need kids from other states. Some of our most productive players on offense are not from florida fyi. Harley thomas and brevin. We had a room full of receivers with entitlement issues complaining last year and this year.

Under Richt, we were running an archaic offense that everyone knew what we were going to do before we did it, but we had a good defense. Under Al Golden, he was recruiting guys whose edge was their speed and making them fat to turn this team into a Virginia. When Whipple was Shannon's coordinator, he had a stable of deadly running backs, but all he wanted to do was chuck it deep with a qb with little arm strength.

With the last 4 coaching staffs failing horribly. Perhaps there is something else to consider thats the problem. The new generation of south florida athletes may possibly be the issue. Our roster is close to 90% kids south of Orlando. Yes there is a wealth of talent, that is undeniable. But Georgia Bama Clemson Florida Ohio st and many other schools recruit down here for the skill positions. But their rosters only have a handful south florida kids. The rest are made up of kids from georgia, loiusiana, the midwest and other states. There is much more geographical diversity on those teams. I feel like this new generation of south florida kids are a "look at me" and are more concerned with themselves then the team as a whole. I only bring it up because every coach is failing miserably with what appears to be a talented rosters most years. We consistently put players in the pros and have nothing to show for it. Just trying to think outside the box here. I would like to see us go more into georgia louisiana, out west and the northeast.

PS
Yes I'm aware our AD and Bot stink and thats an issue too.

Bruh
U are dead on!!!! I have been thinking about this very same thing! We need to say **** it and go national for more players I agree with that! Especially Oline! I’d offer every Offensive Line player that Iowa and Wisky are recruiting. We also need more rugged Defensive Line kids! South Florida is all speed and twitch! We need some Big Ten type plugs in the trench!

Advertisement
After Saban and others pluck the true 4/5* kids, we share the rest with a handful of others. With some exceptions, we get 2nd tier which is still really good. We've been underdeveloping players since Coker TBH. Contrary to popular belief, these top kids have a strong desire to be coached up. We've failed to do that. The more we fail, the less top dogs will come here

Advertisement
Back