South Florida '24 - The WRs

itsdolphhh

Sophomore
Premium
Last year, I said South Florida pumps out receivers like Colombia and Venezuela produce big booty women. This is simply stating a fact. There is an overabundance of receiver talent being produced out of the region yearly. 2020, 2021 and 2022 were disappointing classes, but 2023 and this year's crop show that we are getting back to the norm of producing talented pass catchers. 2024 is nowhere as deep as 2023 (14 signed Power 5, 33 in total went D1) but the top of the class might be more talented. Let's take a peek.

Jeremiah Smith, Chaminade Madonna (6'3" 215) - Started out at Pace. Number one player in America. Has been a baller since elementary school. One of the most physically gifted receivers out of South Florida in at least a decade. His size-speed-hands combination draws comparison to Andre Johnson. Elite route runner. Highlight reel grabs all over his film. Elite at contested catches. State champion in the hurdles. Elite YAC ability. Ridiculous production. 3x state champion. Also played some DB. Barring catastrophe, should be a superstar. Cousin of Geno Smith. Ohio State signee.

Joshisa Trader, Chaminade Madonna (6'1" 175) - The homie Goulds Cane (RIP) was the first person to bring him up on the board. Went from Pace, to Miami Central, before finishing at Chaminade Madonna. In any other year would probably be the top ranked receiver in the region. Not the biggest, but this kid is just a straight up baller, making plays every which way. Can burn your DB deep or route him up. Specializes in circus catches. Elite burst that he uses to rack up YAC. Shutdown DB on the 7v7 circuit and could have a future there as well. Track background. As a receiver, reminds me of a more athletic Jacolby George. Miami signee.

Chance Robinson, St. Thomas Aquinas (6'1" 190) - Waited his turn in a loaded STA receiver room, then finally broke out as a junior. Smooth mover that is just a straight up playmaker. Elite route runner. Great hands. Makes contested catches look easy. No track times but has P4-caliber athleticism on tape. Muscular frame. Reminds me of 2023 prospect Andy Jean, who signed with UF. Miami signee.

Lawayne McCoy, Miami Central (6'1" 180) - Went from Western, to Avant Garde, then finished last two years of HS on 95th Street. Two-way superstar that made his biggest plays against the best competition in America. A major deep threat on offense, but I think it is a crime for him to not be playing corner at the next level. Cover corner with elite ball skills & ideal length on the other side of the ball. State champion in 2022. FSU signee.

James Madison II, St. Thomas Aquinas (6'3" 190) - TRU Prep transfer. Originally from Kansas City. Lanky with surprising YAC ability. 6'8" wingspan. Good route runner. Fluid athlete but not explosive. May fit best as a TE at the next level. Also played basketball. Missouri signee.

Jacory Barney, Miami Palmetto (6'0" 170) - Played QB, RB, WR, CB, S, KR and PR for the Panthers. This kid is a football player in every sense of the word. Made some of the most ridiculous circus catches I've ever seen on the high school level. Elite agility in the open field. Alpha dog on the camp circuit. Route tree needs work. Won a gold medal at the Junior Olympics in the 8th grade, anchoring the South Dade Express 4x400 relay team. Reminds me of a more slender Brandon Inniss. Nebraska signee.

Hardley Gilmore IV, Pahokee (6'1" 165) - Productive route runner from an NFL factory. Played at Glades Day as an 8th grader, then the Benjamin School, then briefly IMG Academy, before transferring to Pahokee. Great hands and body control. Speed is good not great. I think his upside is just as high at safety. Track background. Reclassified from 2025 to 2024. Kentucky signee.

Jose Leon, Columbus (5'10" 170) - This kid just finds a way to get open. Can get vertical but has a comprehensive knowledge of the entire route tree. Great hands. Speed is good, not great. Very productive. Killed the competition on the camp circuit. App State signee.

Ivory Aikens, Norland (5'5" 145) - This kid is the fastest player I've seen on the field in my lifetime. Arguably the fastest football player in the country. Burned teams at receiver and KR/PR. 28 yards per catch. FBS teams backed away due to miniature size. The obvious comparison would be Jakeem Grant, but dare I say, I think Aikens may be faster. FCS Wofford signee.

Demarion Jenkins, Pahokee (5'8" 155) - Orlando Christian transfer. Tore ACL & missed senior year. Absolute burner. 10.8 100 as a tenth grader. Claims 4.39 40. Starred at RB, WR and KR. Can burn you with a 9 route or take a shovel pass 99 yards. FCS Utah Tech signee.

Eric Nelson, Miramar (6'1" 165) - Norland transfer. Broke out as a senior with 1,123 receiving yards and 12 TDs. Deep threat with great hands & the ability to track the ball. Great agility. No track times but plays very fast. FIU signee,

Jayquan Reid, Miami Southridge (6'0" 165) - Played QB, WR and KR/PR. All around stud with elite burst. Will score on you in a myriad of ways. Great hands. Will provide immediate value in the return game. Western Michigan signee.

Isaiah Scott, Norland (5'10" 180) - Average size with enormous production. 2k receiving yards and 17 TDs the last two seasons. Went on a rampage during Norland's playoff run against elite competition. Dangerous return man & will contribute there as well. Plays much faster than track times (11.37 100 as a sophomore.) Along with teammate Ivory Aikens, FCS Wofford is getting a dangerous receiver duo.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Trader looks and sounds like he’s going to be awesome as a wr.

I’m sure it probably won’t happen, but if Robinson and Carr show out really well and early, is a guy who could potentially also be elite as a cb worth moving there given some complaints about cb recruiting.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Trader is the only one out of this group I think has an impactful career.

I could be wrong, but I think most of this group will have a high bust rate.
You caught the Ermon Lane vibes too? Knew I wasn’t the only one.

jk. I, too, like every other mere mortal, think JS will be a baller.

Advertisement
Trader is the only one out of this group I think has an impactful career.

I could be wrong, but I think most of this group will have a high bust rate.
We gonna dis agree again.

*HOT TAKE

My man JJ Smith right now as a kid that should be in high school...likely has a better body and more athleticism than Marvin Harrion Jr.
That Bahamian Blood is different brudda.....dude right now if they stood side by side you would think he was the one going first rd of the draft..and he has only been at OSU a month.

He can run a drag route and catch jump balls so he is good to go in their offense.

*HOT TAKE

My man JJ Smith right now as a kid that should be in high school...likely has a better body and more athleticism than Marvin Harrion Jr.
That Bahamian Blood is different brudda.....dude right now if they stood side by side you would think he was the one going first rd of the draft..and he has only been at OSU a month.

He can run a drag route and catch jump balls so he is good to go in their offense.
Stings to read, hope
@Memnon is right tho

Advertisement

*HOT TAKE

I'll believe when it I see it.

*HOT TAKE

Marvin Harrison isn’t exactly the most athletic WR in this draft though. In fact he may legit be the least athletic of all the 1st round WRs this year (not that that’s a major negative - or that I’m even close to saying Harrison jr Isn’t very athletic - this is a very athletic group of WRs). Nabers, Odunze, Adonai Mitchell, Brian Thomas, Worthy all are almost certainly more athletic than him. and non-1st rounders Xavier Leggette and probably Tez Walker are as/more athletic too. Keon Coleman and Johnny Wilson are close as well given their disproportionate length advantage…

But since this is about JSmith/Trader…let’s just all hope @Memnon is correct since it’d be in our best interest.

Marvin Harrison isn’t exactly the most athletic WR in this draft though. In fact he may legit be the least athletic of all the 1st round WRs this year (not that that’s a major negative - or that I’m even close to saying Harrison jr Isn’t very athletic - this is a very athletic group of WRs). Nabers, Odunze, Adonai Mitchell, Brian Thomas, Worthy all are almost certainly more athletic than him. and non-1st rounders Xavier Leggette and probably Tez Walker are as/more athletic too. Keon Coleman and Johnny Wilson are close as well given their disproportionate length advantage…

But since this is about JSmith/Trader…let’s just all hope @Memnon is correct since it’d be in our best interest.
Marvin will be the first wr taken in the draft. This is in reference to JJ being slated to play the same wr spot at OSU.

I promise you JJ could have been at the nfl combine right now and would look better or just as same as guys u just named..which is crazy in itself. lol

There is a reason Um was offering everything but Rad's wife to get him...Andre Johnson type all over again.

*Not really a hot take... cause its been stated b4.

JO JO Trader has nfl ability if he played corner.

As a wr i comped JO JO to Stephon Diggs so i like him as a wr prospect.

Advertisement
Back