South Florida '22- The RBs

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Running back is a perennially loaded position in South Florida, with 15 NFL players in the past 8 years. The odds say two guys per year are future pros, but it’s hard to find them in this year’s group. There is only one surefire P5 player in the class and very little FBS depth. Overall, the group has role players but lacks complete runners.

Jaziun Patterson, 5’11, 190 (Deerfield Beach)- Fearless, physical runner who thrives on contact. Reminds me of former Minnesota Gopher/Dallas Cowboy runner Marion Barber. Burst is good, not great. Solid footwork for a power back. Iowa Commit.

Anthony Hankerson, 5’8, 186 (St. Thomas)- Supremely productive back who makes up for lack of size with quickness and balance. Elite stop-and-start ability, will always make the first man miss. Over 3K yards in high school career. Quicker than fast. Has receiving and return ability. His recruiting has been unusually slow for a star player in a dominant program. Size is obviously an issue, but he has the balance to deal with contact.

Denim Edwards, 5’7, 190 (Columbus)- Stoutly built back with track background. Wants to get North/South and use his long speed. Tight in the hips, one-cut only. Navy commit.

Corey Reddick, 5’11, 175 (Atlantic)- Skinny but electric runner with some of the best speed in the class. 10.76 100M. Not a straight-line guy, has quickness and footwork. Also an excellent returner. STA transfer. His highest upside position might be CB.

Maurice Jones, 5’9, 185 (Killian)- Jitterbug with a lot of life in his feet. Springy on his jump cuts. Tough for his size and will take on bigger defenders. Has return ability. Like Hankerson, he is quicker than fast. Cousin of Gilbert Frierson. Marshall Commit.

Patrick Bowen, 5’9, 190 (Independence CC)-2020 Dillard grad who has emerged at JUCO level. Excellent change-of-direction ability. Similar to a lot of the backs in this class- instinctive, tough, quicker than fast, undersized. UMass commit.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11057064/60ac6c8e7bd35e0cd0e05a98

Ghana Oboh, 5’10, 190 (Central)- Classic Central back with lateral quicks and toughness. Strong body and will bounce off contact. Average speed. Really showcased his ability in two games vs. Northwestern. Offer from FAU.

Tyrone Maxwell , 5’9, 175 (Homestead)- Productive playmaker for a resurgent Homestead program. Hits the hole at full speed and has the ability to make downhill cuts. Strong lower body to break arm tackles. Plays fast but not a sprinter.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11592469/613810640c53750e9478ea91

Yann Ulrich Longa, 6’1, 209 (Miami International Academy)- Quebec import with excellent size. Played more LB as a senior. Upright as a runner and tackler but has good acceleration. Productive (1,003 yards, 13 TDs) against lower-level competition. Quiet recruitment but the raw tools make it interesting.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8103282/6188feb8dfd86f094446d3e8

Trey Rainey, 5’10, 181 (Boca Raton)- Leading rusher in Palm Beach. 1,245 yards at 9.6 ypc. Underrated with some similarities to a poor man’s Travis Homer. Lafayette College commit.

Advertisement
Maurice Jones was a RB on a youth team I was coaching. Good young man that worked hard and quietly went about his business.

On a team with players that went to college already at the FCS and FBS level, he was probably the most talented runner, albeit, not the best athlete. Had a few guys that ran legit 4.4 in HS...so he's not that. Thought he was at Gables. Didn't know he ended up at Kilian. Grove kid, too, so you know he's a type.

He'll be an asset to any team he goes to.

This crop of local backs is disappointing. You know it's bad when the top local kid is an Iowa commit. Thinking about our room as it stands today (Harris, Don, Knighton, Thad, and Brown). With Chaney and Harris coming off season ending injuries, and the possibility of one of these guys transferring (just from a #s standpoint), it would make sense to add a body. I'd love another Knighton type - electric, change of pace type back who can take a screen 60 yards. Not sure there are any locally.

Advertisement
Feel like Anthony Hankerson is a Fred Coppet type...quite a bit better as a player, but stopped growing in 8th grade. He's been like 5'8" and needing to be soaking wet to get to whatever listed weight he's at since people started talking about him down here.

Running back is a perennially loaded position in South Florida, with 15 NFL players in the past 8 years. The odds say two guys per year are future pros, but it’s hard to find them in this year’s group. There is only one surefire P5 player in the class and very little FBS depth. Overall, the group has role players but lacks complete runners.

Jaziun Patterson, 5’11, 190 (Deerfield Beach)- Fearless, physical runner who thrives on contact. Reminds me of former Minnesota Gopher/Dallas Cowboy runner Marion Barber. Burst is good, not great. Solid footwork for a power back. Iowa Commit.

Anthony Hankerson, 5’8, 186 (St. Thomas)- Supremely productive back who makes up for lack of size with quickness and balance. Elite stop-and-start ability, will always make the first man miss. Over 3K yards in high school career. Quicker than fast. Has receiving and return ability. His recruiting has been unusually slow for a star player in a dominant program. Size is obviously an issue, but he has the balance to deal with contact.

Denim Edwards, 5’7, 190 (Columbus)- Stoutly built back with track background. Wants to get North/South and use his long speed. Tight in the hips, one-cut only. Navy commit.

Corey Reddick, 5’11, 175 (Atlantic)- Skinny but electric runner with some of the best speed in the class. 10.76 100M. Not a straight-line guy, has quickness and footwork. Also an excellent returner. STA transfer. His highest upside position might be CB. Navy Commit.

Maurice Jones, 5’9, 185 (Killian)- Jitterbug with a lot of life in his feet. Springy on his jump cuts. Tough for his size and will take on bigger defenders. Has return ability. Like Hankerson, he is quicker than fast. Cousin of Gilbert Frierson. Marshall Commit.

Patrick Bowen, 5’9, 190 (Independence CC)-2020 Dillard grad who has emerged at JUCO level. Excellent change-of-direction ability. Similar to a lot of the backs in this class- instinctive, tough, quicker than fast, undersized. UMass commit.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11057064/60ac6c8e7bd35e0cd0e05a98

Ghana Oboh, 5’10, 190 (Central)- Classic Central back with lateral quicks and toughness. Strong body and will bounce off contact. Average speed. Really showcased his ability in two games vs. Northwestern. Offer from FAU.

Tyrone Maxwell , 5’9, 175 (Homestead)- Productive playmaker for a resurgent Homestead program. Hits the hole at full speed and has the ability to make downhill cuts. Strong lower body to break arm tackles. Plays fast but not a sprinter.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11592469/613810640c53750e9478ea91

Yann Ulrich Longa, 6’1, 209 (Miami International Academy)- Quebec import with excellent size. Played more LB as a senior. Upright as a runner and tackler but has good acceleration. Productive (1,003 yards, 13 TDs) against lower-level competition. Quiet recruitment but the raw tools make it interesting.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8103282/6188feb8dfd86f094446d3e8

Trey Rainey, 5’10, 181 (Boca Raton)- Leading rusher in Palm Beach. 1,245 yards at 9.6 ypc. Underrated with some similarities to a poor man’s Travis Homer. Lafayette College commit.

Corey Reddick de committed from Navy

Advertisement
Maurice Jones is a good runner & a great receiver, the only knock is he's small & has average speed.

I watched Ghana Oboh 2 weeks in a row against top competition & he really impressed me. Finds his holes exceptionally well, has good speed & has soft hands. Plus I like African kids because they usually produce.

It's crazy how much D1 talent is down here. I've coached against some of the kids on this list and didn't even realize that they had D1 offers. It tends to fly over our head sometimes unless the kid is well known with big-time offers, but D1 is still D1.

That kid at Boca was really good. I mean, we bottled him up all night because they couldn't block us, but the ONE TIME he got a hole we were all like "oh ****!"

🏃🏿‍♂️💨

My favorite kid on this list is Hankerson. I think he's a stud. **** his size. Last time we played St Thomas their offense couldn't **** a drop, and in the second half he put them on his shoulders.

Advertisement
It's crazy how much D1 talent is down here. I've coached against some of the kids on this list and didn't even realize that they had D1 offers. It tends to fly over our head sometimes unless the kid is well known with big-time offers, but D1 is still D1.

That kid at Boca was really good. I mean, we bottled him up all night because they couldn't block us, but the ONE TIME he got a hole we were all like "oh ****!"

🏃🏿‍♂️💨

My favorite kid on this list is Hankerson. I think he's a stud. **** his size. Last time we played St Thomas their offense couldn't **** a drop, and in the second half he put them on his shoulders.

You never lied. I remember coaching against Miramar n talking sh*t to a kid...and didnt even realize it was Balom (cane player) until after the game.

Advertisement
Back