South Florida '22- The DTs

Regarding Tarber...
Some of you might remember, I spoke about this prior to the season. The motor issues were not a completely unfair concern. It was valid. But if some of you remember that conversation, I also said that he was cranking it up this year. And he did.
He knew about the criticism, and he stepped up.

Laterally he's probably limited. He's not one of those long, thin-ankled, agile DT's.
He's a war daddy plugger.
And what he does arguably better than anybody in the state, definitely better than anybody in South Florida, is stay in a gap and be immovable. The kid doesn't even budge on double teams.

There truthfully wasn't a spot for Tarber in Manny's scheme, but if we're going to be a multiple front defense going forward, you definitely would like to have a guy like AT.
He's EXACTLY who you need at NT in an Odd Front, because he's going to be an absolute nightmare for the opponent's Center. I think that's what Venerables sees in him.
We definitely do not have a guy like him on the roster right now.
You think Jordan Miller could be that guy?

BTW, I absolutely remember you saying that and hoped like heck we'd get him but iiwii, glad he went to a good defensive coach hope he does great things in Norman.

Advertisement
There is a lot of talk about edge rushers, but this is quietly a stacked year locally at DT. There are five P5 kids at a position that is hard to find anywhere. All of these guys have a path for success, even if there is no Leonard Taylor in the group.

Ahmad Moten, 6’3, 290 (Cardinal Gibbons)- Flexible, coordinated big man who dominated as a senior. Big-boned with true DT frame. Not much bad weight. Knock-back power but can also slip blocks with swim move. Usually the first guy off the ball. Two-time state champion. Brother, Anthony, played at Miami. Oklahoma, Clemson and Miami are involved.

Alton Tarber, 6‘1.5, 305 (Deerfield Beach)- Stout run-stuffer who has been on the radar since his youth days. Good straight-line burst. On the shorter side, but has long arms he extends into blockers. Has leaned out over the course of his career. Hard to move against the run. Lacks some lateral quickness as a pass rusher. Motor can run hot and cold, which is not unusual for a high school DT. Oklahoma signee.

Jamaal Whyce, 6’3, 270 (Florida Christian)- Moved from Dayton, Ohio to Miami after sophomore year. Dominated overmatched private school competition. Very good straight-line speed for a DT (self-reported 4.8). Lean with little bad weight. Father played at Miami Central, Marshall and the Arena League. Will need to play lower and fill out but has real upside due to athleticism and frame. South Carolina signee.

Daniel Lyons, 6’4, 286 (Homestead)- Tall TFL machine. Excels at shooting gaps despite upright playing style. Similar physical tools to the late Bryan Pata. A little out of shape at camp circuit and will benefit greatly from college strength program. FSU signee.

Belizaire Bassette, 6’1.5, 270 (American Heritage)- Twitchy fire hydrant. Sudden and quick off snap. Consistently makes plays on other side of the line. Size limits him if you run straight at him. Reminds me a little of Calijah Kancey. Syracuse signee.

Solid list. Critically important position.

Regarding Tarber...
Some of you might remember, I spoke about this prior to the season. The motor issues were not a completely unfair concern. It was valid. But if some of you remember that conversation, I also said that he was cranking it up this year. And he did.

Laterally he's probably limited. He's not one of those long, thin-ankled, agile DT's.
And what he does arguably better than anybody in the state, definitely better than anybody in South Florida, is stay in a gap and be immovable. The kid doesn't even budge on double teams.

There truthfully wasn't a spot for Tarber in Manny's scheme, but if we're going to be a multiple front defense going forward, you definitely would like to have a guy like AT.
He's EXACTLY who you need at NT in an Odd Front, because he's going to be an absolute nightmare for the opponent's Center. I think that's what Venerables sees in him.

I wanted him then for exactly that reason. Manny was so frickin stubborn with that gap shooting scheme he did t see the value in a multiple front. Just blinded by his own brilliance. Target would have been great here.

You don’t think Haye can be that guy? I really don’t know why we signed him then.

I wanted him then for exactly that reason. Manny was so frickin stubborn with that gap shooting scheme he did t see the value in a multiple front. Just blinded by his own brilliance. Target would have been great here.

You don’t think Haye can be that guy? I really don’t know why we signed him then.
I'll be very curious to see how Haye has developed so far by the time our spring game rolls around

Regarding Tarber...

Just hilarious cause he's exactly what we need in certain games who just run the ball down our throat (GT, UNC, etc.). Probably wasn't a perfect fit for Manny's D but oh well.

Advertisement
Alton Tarber, 6‘1.5, 305 (Deerfield Beach)- Stout run-stuffer who has been on the radar since his youth days. Good straight-line burst. On the shorter side, but has long arms he extends into blockers. Has leaned out over the course of his career. Hard to move against the run. Lacks some lateral quickness as a pass rusher. Motor can run hot and cold, which is not unusual for a high school DT. Oklahoma signee.

So, I'll just presume we're going to grab Moten.

But, as I look through our roster and our likely transition to odd fronts, I'm searching high and low for potential 0s and 1Ts. Don't currently see a lot left in the portal, and even if we'd grab someone there, I think we may need 2.

I run into Alton Tarber's highlights and his 247 profile. I come to the board and find this thread. And, Macho's post. I concede I had given up on the recruiting board the past couple years, so had no idea Macho coached him.

This kid had a verified 27.5" vertical at 6' 1.5" 351 pounds in 2019? That's actually impressive. He also supposedly has long arms? He's now leaned out 40+ pounds? What am I missing? I can see why Manny might not have recruited him, but why isn't he now being asked to flip? Would love to see his new verified results, but I'd presume a stout kid with long arms and likely a 30+ vert now would be useful in what we'll try to do.

I cannot stress how badly we need a 0 or 1. We currently have...Jordan Miller and, maybe, Haye.

But, as I look through our roster and our likely transition to odd fronts, I'm searching high and low for potential 0s and 1Ts. Don't currently see a lot left in the portal, and even if we'd grab someone there, I think we may need 2.

I run into Alton Tarber's highlights and his 247 profile. I come to the board and find this thread. And, Macho's post. I concede I had given up on the recruiting board the past couple years, so had no idea Macho coached him.

This kid had a verified 27.5" vertical at 6' 1.5" 351 pounds in 2019? That's actually impressive. He also supposedly has long arms? He's now leaned out 40+ pounds? What am I missing? I can see why Manny might not have recruited him, but why isn't he now being asked to flip? Would love to see his new verified results, but I'd presume a stout kid with long arms and likely a 30+ vert now would be useful in what we'll try to do.

I cannot stress how badly we need a 0 or 1. We currently have...Jordan Miller and, maybe, Haye.

Agree with you 1000%, I think we need 2 0-1 types as well. Pretty sure Tarbor already signed so that ship has sailed. It’s unfortunate because he definitely would have fit right in. Now we are desperate and have to search far and wide and maybe through some back channels convince someone to leave their current situation at another school 👀.

It seems like other than Kelly and Stewart, Manny completely stopped recruiting D lineman despite the fact we basically have 0 depth there. It's truly inexplicable.

Advertisement
It seems like other than Kelly and Stewart, Manny completely stopped recruiting D lineman despite the fact we basically have 0 depth there. It's truly inexplicable.
Very odd but the only possible rational explanation (not saying it's a good explanation) is that Manny intended to hit the protal hard at D-line because he was needing turn around results for next year, like Mel tucker, to get the next contract, and was not interested in developing any players, especially because D-line typically take 2 years to really get meaningful PT.
I don't think Manny was ignoring recruiting so much as he was expecting to swing for the fences with the portal because he knew the patience had run out. I guarantee that he is in Happy Valley right now thinking, 'all I needed was one more year'.

Very odd but the only possible rational explanation (not saying it's a good explanation) is that Manny intended to hit the protal hard at D-line because he was needing turn around results for next year, like Mel tucker, to get the next contract, and was not interested in developing any players, especially because D-line typically take 2 years to really get meaningful PT.
I don't think Manny was ignoring recruiting so much as he was expecting to swing for the fences with the portal because he knew the patience had run out. I guarantee that he is in Happy Valley right now thinking, 'all I needed was one more year'.
Yea he was going to the portal there it was obvious.

He needed ready to go DT'S and DE'S because of flame out and lack of proper development at this point on some guys.

Advertisement
Exactly.

Advertisement
Back