South Florida '19- The WRs

View as article
I don’t think so. He doesn’t have the arm strength.

Really good and fun player to watch but I’m thinking lower-level FBS or FCS for him.

Hey Dorsey didn't have the arm either, not saying this Kid is anything like Dorsey but at this point we may need to take a shot at a kid that may not have ideal measurables.

Advertisement
re: this year's WR group.

Seems like one that...last year...everyone on the board is projecting a Ladson, Fuller, and pick one more...now we're getting none and have had seemingly no interest in anyone.

I see a lot of guys that will be players and in the two-deep pretty early at some G5 type schools and I would wager money one or more make the NFL in that group (basically, anyone but Ladson)...I just couldn't tell you who. Probably a guy not even listed here, and I am just playing the percentage. In hindsight, South Florida never ends up this weak at WR on its face. Someone is going to make some money scouting one of these guys when they blow up. Good luck figuring out who those guys are though. I know coaches for, have worked around the Doral, Columbus, and South Dade kids...outside of Ladson, I don't know if those kids have the upside or athleticism for the highest level, but I'd be shocked if they aren't all contributors for their college of choice. Their skill set is strong enough to contribute even if they aren't great athletes...but they all run workmanlike routes, good hands, got some finesse to their game, etc.

The guy that I'm really watching closely is Amari Johnson. He has the speed you can't coach and he is proving to be a good football player.

Amari Johnson is a steal at UCF. He is blazing fast. Similar to Terrence Horne from Miramar who took back 2 kickoff returns last week for USF. Horne was seldom even mentioned as a recruit when bringing up s.fla

WR with not elite athleticism make it all the time. Guys like Hurns are there every season. The thing is some seasons it worth taking a risk on a guy who doesn't have to play immediately and other times you need the elite guys. We could take a punt on a raw WR this cycle.

DMoney. Any information on the big local Palmetto WR for 2020 Kentron Poitier? On Hudl film is listed at 6-4/210 and looks it compared to the DBs. He just started in HS football. Was a very successful middle school track and field athlete in the 100m, long jump and discus throw.

Kentron Poitier on Hudl

Advertisement
DMoney. Any information on the big local Palmetto WR for 2020 Kentron Poitier? On Hudl film is listed at 6-4/210 and looks it compared to the DBs. He just started in HS football. Was a very successful middle school track and field athlete in the 100m, long jump and discus throw.

Kentron Poitier on Hudl

I know Tron personally. He played football for SMGG in youth and a very good one. His brother played, too.

Tron is a future scholarship basketball player, though. Nothing to see here.

Kentron Poitier on Hudl

I haven’t seen him yet but Palmetto is on my list. I’ve heard they might have the best young DBs in the county.

Career reviews

Frank Ladson - Signed with Clemson. In the rotation at WR in 2019 and 2020. Injured 2021. Transferred to Miami. In the rotation in 2022. In Mario's doghouse in 2023, recorded 0 stats. Recently transferred to UMass.

John Dunmore - Signed with Penn State. Redshirted 2019. Reserve in 2020. Transferred to Oregon State. Reserve 2021 and 2022. Transferred to FCS Towson. Reserve 2023.

Zay Flowers - Superstar.

Amari Johnson - Signed with UCF. Backup in 2019 and 2020. In the rotation in 2021. Suffered season ending knee injury in fall camp and missed all of 2022. Reserve 2023. Recently transferred to FAMU.

Brieon Fuller - Attended Fort Scott CC in Kansas. Current status unclear.

Kalani Norris - Signed with Georgia Tech. Reserve in 2019 and 2020. Part of the WR rotation in 2021. Abruptly entered portal in the middle of the 2022 season. Transferred to Middle Tennessee. Backup in 2023.

Najeh Baker - Signed with Toledo. Redshirted 2019. Current status unclear.

Jymetre Hester - Attended Mississippi Gulf Coast CC from 2019-2021. Transferred to FAU. Backup receiver in 2022 and 2023. Entered portal in December.

Donte Banton - Signed with Utah. In the rotation in 2019. Dismissed from team in 2020 after allegedly being involved in rape case with fellow Ute receiver and South Florida native Terrell Perriman. Current status unknown.

Jamal Cooney - Signed with Dartmouth. Redshirted 2019. Ivy League canceled football in 2020. In the rotation at WR in 2021 and 2022, while also performing as one of the best punt returners in the Ivy League. Transferred to Missouri State in 2023. Unsure if he played this year. Current status unclear.

Ronald Fanfan - Can't find anything on him after high school.

Richard Sam - Can't find anything on him after high school.

Kingsley Grissett - Played at Dodge City CC in Kansas. Current status unclear.

Grantis Poole - Signed with Alabama State. Redshirted 2019. In the rotation as a hybrid RB/WR and kick returner in spring 2021 season and fall 2021. Transferred to Tuskegee. In the rotation at WR in 2022 and 2023.

Rasaad Sawyer - Played at Co-Lin CC in Mississippi. Current status unclear.

Jaylin Young - Signed with Western Carolina. In the rotation as a true freshman in 2019. Current status unclear.

Marlin Mayo - I can't find anything on him after high school.

Dashaun Davis - Signed with App State. Redshirted 2019. In the rotation in 2020 and 2021. Team's starting slot WR in 2022 and 2023, average production. Recently entered portal.

Christian Wells - Signed with App State. Redshirted 2019. In the rotation in 2020 and 2021. Starter in 2022 but battled injury. Transferred to UMass. In the rotation in 2023.

Advertisement
Career reviews

Frank Ladson - Signed with Clemson. In the rotation at WR in 2019 and 2020. Injured 2021. Transferred to Miami. In the rotation in 2022. In Mario's doghouse in 2023, recorded 0 stats. Recently transferred to UMass.

John Dunmore - Signed with Penn State. Redshirted 2019. Reserve in 2020. Transferred to Oregon State. Reserve 2021 and 2022. Transferred to FCS Towson. Reserve 2023.

Zay Flowers - Superstar.

Amari Johnson - Signed with UCF. Backup in 2019 and 2020. In the rotation in 2021. Suffered season ending knee injury in fall camp and missed all of 2022. Reserve 2023. Recently transferred to FAMU.

Kalani Norris - Signed with Georgia Tech. Reserve in 2019 and 2020. Part of the WR rotation in 2021. Abruptly entered portal in the middle of the 2022 season. Transferred to Middle Tennessee. Backup in 2023.

Jymetre Hester - Attended Mississippi Gulf Coast CC from 2019-2021. Transferred to FAU. Backup receiver in 2022 and 2023. Entered portal in December.

Donte Banton - Signed with Utah. In the rotation in 2019. Dismissed from team in 2020 after allegedly being involved in rape case with fellow Ute receiver and South Florida native Terrell Perriman. Current status unknown.

Jamal Cooney - Signed with Dartmouth. Redshirted 2019. Ivy League canceled football in 2020. In the rotation at WR in 2021 and 2022, while also performing as one of the best punt returners in the Ivy League. Transferred to Missouri State in 2023. Unsure if he played this year. Current status unclear.

Grantis Poole - Signed with Alabama State. Redshirted 2019. In the rotation as a hybrid RB/WR and kick returner in spring 2021 season and fall 2021. Transferred to Tuskegee. In the rotation at WR in 2022 and 2023.

Jaylin Young - Signed with Western Carolina. In the rotation as a true freshman in 2019. Current status unclear.

Dashaun Davis - Signed with App State. Redshirted 2019. In the rotation in 2020 and 2021. Team's starting slot WR in 2022 and 2023, average production. Recently entered portal.

Christian Wells - Signed with App State. Redshirted 2019. In the rotation in 2020 and 2021. Starter in 2022 but battled injury. Transferred to UMass. In the rotation in 2023.
Nothing more overhyped than SFLA talent.

Advertisement
Career reviews

Zay Flowers - Superstar.

Yikes

Advertisement
Back