South Dade Cane DB Washington breaks down his commitment to 'The U'

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 South Dade (FL) S Keshawn Washington landed his UM offer back in early May, but it didn’t take him too long to know Coral Gables was the place for him. After feeling the vibe of Paradise Camp, Washington, along with his teammates Jaiden Francois and Jonathan Denis, committed to the Hurricanes this weekend.

“It feels good, man,” Washington said on being a Hurricane. “I felt like it was time [to commit] right then and there. It’s a good environment.”

In a sequence of events that lasted a little more than two hours, UM landed all three of the South Dade Canes on Friday night. Washington’s announcement was sandwiched in the middle between his teammates, and it was the trio’s deep bond that made them want to attend the same school at the next level.

“We was talking about it, all in the group chat,” Washington said. “Jaiden committed, then I committed second, then Denis committed third. We all wanted to play with each other, keep everything together. We’re close.”

For Washington, committing to Miami was about more than being able to play with his teammates and brothers for another four years. It was also the close proximity of UM to home and his family that played a huge role in his pledge to Miami.

“It was closer to home, closer to my momma,” Washington said on Miami. “I want to make sure she’s good and everything.”

As of now, the 6'3" 170 pounder is unsure if he will take future visits to other programs. Really, Washington says, these next few months are going to be about focusing on having a huge junior season at South Dade and winning championships.

“I’m going to have a good season, more picks, more everything,” Washington said. “We’re going to win states, we definitely winning states this year.”

And his message to the Canes fans that have been following his recruitment?

“I’m glad for the support and everything. I love the Canes family.”

Advertisement
It’s nice to see early verbal commits from all of these kids. I’m looking forward to see how Washington develops during his senior year

Loved his ceiling since first reading bout him back in spring, also love he's playing some corner this season, great range physical tackler and legit 6'3...Stud

Hope he sticks at corner, Dj was helping him with his technique, he's really thin at 160 but maybe he grows into a safety, striker or linebacker with that 6'3 frame, fingers crossed he stays at corner, read his press was hard to get off.

Last edited:
All three of these kids have such great attitudes and seem so happy to be Canes. I really like the fact that this 2020 class seems to already have groups of kids who are friends and all have the same attitude and desire to succeed.

Advertisement
“It was closer to home, closer to my momma,” Washington said on Miami. “I want to make sure she’s good and everything.”

Much respect.

Bright kid with an even brighter future. Crazy how good these 2020 kids are and they haven’t even played a down of junior HS football. They have the tape, size, and attitude to be special.

Actually better that he is more slender than the 190 up to one post at 200 I have seen listed as he is less likely to outgrow the CB/safety position. That height and range (4.55--40) will allow him to grow into that 200-205 defensive back. The 4.55 not bad at all considering he has never been at any camps to run the 40 and has not run HS track so has improvement to be made in this area.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hope he sticks at corner, Dj was helping him with his technique, he's really thin at 160 but maybe he grows into a safety, striker or linebacker with that 6'3 frame, fingers crossed he stays at corner, read his press was hard to get off.

He actually looked really good in 7on7 when he was playing safety. I would not write him off there yet at all as some have assumed. You are correct on his press coverage when he was playing some corner, lot of WRs were struggling to get off the press with him. He’s long and rangy but not stiff, tall and wiry frame.

He actually looked really good in 7on7 when he was playing safety. I would not write him off there yet at all as some have assumed. You are correct on his press coverage when he was playing some corner, lot of WRs were struggling to get off the press with him. He’s long and rangy but not stiff, tall and wiry frame.
True im always hoping for a 6'3 corner, I have no doubt he'll be a dynamic safety.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back