SOTU/Cam Underwood on Linebacker Room

Advertisement
A brief synopsis?
- We've sucked
- We may still suck, but the floor may be higher (referenced KJ as being a peer mentor and floor raiser)
- Recruiting (evals) matters

I'm not sure this was meant to be an in-depth LB breakdown.

Giving my personal opinion (separate from the video breakdown): I think people will be relatively surprised by the leap in LB play this year. I've been really high on Francisco since jump. One of my top 5 understated guys. A natural move forward with Wesley and one more young guy, combined with better disguise and connection in the back 7, and I think we'll look considerably better. Maybe I'm selling plantains, though. Who knows.

- We've sucked
- We may still suck, but the floor may be higher (referenced KJ as being a peer mentor and floor raiser)

Giving my personal opinion (separate from the video breakdown): I think people will be relatively surprised by the leap in LB play this year. I've been really high on Francisco since jump. One of my top 5 understated guys. A natural move forward with Wesley and one more young guy, combined with better disguise and connection in the back 7, and I think we'll look considerably better. Maybe I'm selling plantains, though. Who knows.
I think we will be a lot better. The problem is that it's "a lot better" than absolutely atrocious.

Advertisement
- We've sucked

I like plantains.

- We've sucked

Did u see the recent Wesley interview, he seemed pretty high on the new defense

I think we will be a lot better. The problem is that it's "a lot better" than absolutely atrocious.
That's kinda been our motto the past few regimes...🤣🤣

Edit - Would it be safe to say we have to be better even if it's by accident??....I mean there's no freaking way it could be as bad as last year..... Right???.. 🤔🤔

Advertisement
True, lol.. But he seemed really high on it, thats all.. Buttttt he also did say last year defense wasnt that bad, talk about losing credibility instantly.. lmaoo.. I chopped it up to being a freshman

Kevin Steele doesn't run a bad defense (except, coincidentally, the last time he was an ACC DC). But our secondary missed too many assignments and every team seemingly capitalized on it

- We've sucked

i agree that I think we'll be better at LB. The starters this year will be better than last years starters. Plus the depth is more evident and we have more LBs that are the size we need than LBs that don't have that size.

Last year we had:
Flagg(starter) 5'11 - 230lbs
Steed(starter) 6'0 - 225lbs
Johnson 6'1 - 225lbs
K.Smith 5'11 - 205lbs
Wes 6'1 - 205lbs
Huff 6'3 - 205
Ragone 5'11 - 220lbs

This year we have(in addition to Flagg & K.Smith):
Mauigoa(starter) 6'2 - 230lbs
Wes(starter) 6'1 - 205lbs
Bobby Washington 6'3 - 220lbs
Papo 6'2 - 220lbs
Marcellius 6'3 - 215lbs
Malik Bryant 6'2 - 225lbs
KJ 6'2 - 229lbs

**I didn't include Chase Smith**

Advertisement
True, lol.. But he seemed really high on it, thats all.. Buttttt he also did say last year defense wasnt that bad, talk about losing credibility instantly.. lmaoo.. I chopped it up to being a freshman
The Trues are going to play. We don't have a choice.

i agree that I think we'll be better at LB. The starters this year will be better than last years starters. Plus the depth is more evident and we have more LBs that are the size we need than LBs that don't have that size.

Last year we had:
Flagg(starter) 5'11 - 230lbs
Steed(starter) 6'0 - 225lbs
Johnson 6'1 - 225lbs
K.Smith 5'11 - 205lbs
Wes 6'1 - 205lbs
Huff 6'3 - 205
Ragone 5'11 - 220lbs

This year we have(in addition to Flagg & K.Smith):
Mauigoa(starter) 6'2 - 230lbs
Wes(starter) 6'1 - 205lbs
Bobby Washington 6'3 - 220lbs
Papo 6'2 - 220lbs
Marcellius 6'3 - 215lbs
Malik Bryant 6'2 - 225lbs
KJ 6'2 - 229lbs

**I didn't include Chase Smith**
Did K Smith really play at 205 last year? He looked about 230. Put on way too much weight.

Advertisement
I think Cloyd starts on the outside next to Francisco game 1, with Wes and Flagg as second team to start, and either Chase (if healthy) or the true freshmen making moves over the course of the season. By end of season, Wes will be the starter again. But I want him to earn it, not be gifted it like he was last season when he clearly wasn't ready yet.

Advertisement
Back