Agreed - awful article - if I were to predict who the 2017 team will look like it would be 1999
- Biggest differences - much tougher schedule in 1999 - played #9 at Neutral field, #3 at home and #1 on the road in first 5 weeks
- But in 1999 I saw a Cane team on the rise - based on the eye ball test
- We destroyed OSU on a game were 75% of the stadium was from Ohio
- We beat Penn State but a last second blown coverage by a very green but rising super star (Ed Reed) cost us the game
- We lose to FSU who wins the title but we are tied at half time and down 3 going into the 4th
Biggest similarity - Kenny Kelly was the starter early on however by the end of the year it was clear Dorsey was the future and kenny went to play baseball
- I think we see that this year
This is stupid. I really don't think it's that reasonable to expect a coach to take over for Al Golden and win or even come particularly close to a national title in year 2. Richt didn't even take over a well recruited but poorly coached team like Bob Stoops did at OU and Urban Meyer did at UF. Even Nick Saban and Pete Carroll took until year 3 to get their programs fully in motion. Jim Tressel (or Terry Porter depending on how you look at it) is the only coach I can think of who won a title in year 2 without inheriting a talented team.
With that being said Richt better win the f*ing Coastal Division this year.