Sophomore CB Young looking to take after Elder

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
FullSizeRender.jpg

Malek Young came on strong during his freshman year for Miami's defense at the end of the 2016 season. With injuries to Adrian Colbert and Sheldrick Redwine, Young stepped into a larger role than anticipated and seemed to improve each week. With a starting position seemingly his to lose and his first spring practice a few weeks in, Young is primed for a breakout sophomore season.

"I just feel a lot more confident knowing the plays and the knowledge and being able to make rough hits and get off blocks," Young said. "Just knowing more knowledge about the game and watching film. It's more about knowledge than being an athlete."

Miami coaches hope that Young can fill in and have a similar impact to what Corn Elder proved for the Hurricanes secondary. The sophomore from Coconut Creek can see the similarities in their games, but continued to praise Elder's approach to the game off the field.

"We're actually the same size and they try to use me the way they used him, so I would say yes," Young said.

"I talked to him yesterday. He studied a lot of film so he knew where the slants and windows were."

Cornerback coach Mike Rumph is pleased with what he's seen out of Young, but wants

"He's working on being consistent more than anything," Rumph said. "We know what he can do and we saw the standard the holds himself to last season, and I'm just fighting for him to continue that every day out here when it's not a crowd out or not a game and just come with that mentality every single day, kinda more like what Corn did. He came out every day as if it was a game and we're pushing Malek to do some of the same things."

Rumph also described the comparisons that he sees between the soon-to-be-drafted Elder and Young.

"Just how fast they learn. The capacity to learn and ability to cover good receivers up with their speed and length."

What has Rumph's main teaching point to Young this spring?

"Eyes. Keep your eyes on the man, not the quarterback, because the quarterback will lose you," Young said.

[TWEET]849298066809204736[/TWEET]

Young and Rumph also discussed Sheldrick Redwine's move to safety.

"He's great. He knows where to fill in and play because he was at corner. Him being at safety, his stock is gonna go way up just knowing where to be at and how to find the ball. He's going to be great back there," Young said.

"That was one of the best moves we could have made, just having one of our eleven best on the field. For him to go to safety, he's been doing a good job back there," Rumph added.

Advertisement
View attachment 44025

Malek Young came on strong during his freshman year for Miami's defense at the end of the 2016 season. With injuries to Adrian Colbert and Sheldrick Redwine, Young stepped into a larger role than anticipated and seemed to improve each week. With a starting position seemingly his to lose and his first spring practice a few weeks in, Young is primed for a breakout sophomore season.

"I just feel a lot more confident knowing the plays and the knowledge and being able to make rough hits and get off blocks," Young said. "Just knowing more knowledge about the game and watching film. It's more about knowledge than being an athlete."

Miami coaches hope that Young can fill in and have a similar impact to what Corn Elder proved for the Hurricanes secondary. The sophomore from Coconut Creek can see the similarities in their games, but continued to praise Elder's approach to the game off the field.

"We're actually the same size and they try to use me the way they used him, so I would say yes," Young said.

"I talked to him yesterday. He studied a lot of film so he knew where the slants and windows were."

Cornerback coach Mike Rumph is pleased with what he's seen out of Young, but wants

"He's working on being consistent more than anything," Rumph said. "We know what he can do and we saw the standard the holds himself to last season, and I'm just fighting for him to continue that every day out here when it's not a crowd out or not a game and just come with that mentality every single day, kinda more like what Corn did. He came out every day as if it was a game and we're pushing Malek to do some of the same things."

Rumph also described the comparisons that he sees between the soon-to-be-drafted Elder and Young.

"Just how fast they learn. The capacity to learn and ability to cover good receivers up with their speed and length."

"Eyes. Keep your eyes on the man, not the quarterback, because the quarterback will lose you," Young said.

"He's great. He knows where to fill in and play because he was at corner. Him being at safety, his stock is gonna go way up just knowing where to be at and how to find the ball. He's going to be great back there," Young said.

"That was one of the best moves we could have made, just having one of our eleven best on the field. For him to go to safety, he's been doing a good job back there," Rumph added.

He looks like Shaolin Fantastic from "Dope"

Advertisement
Good call by Pete and D$ on the Redwine move to safety. Nailed it.

Pete, can you clarify how this matches up with your comments in another thread:

I think he could be serviceable this season for sure. Players on the team have always noted that he's one of the most physical DBs on the roster, I just think he was still developing the technical side of the position. Like DMoney said, id still expect Delaney and Young as the top two boundary corners, Bandy in the slot, and then it will be a good battle between Jhavonte Dean and Jackson.

I presumed Young would fill in for Corn and Delaney/Jackson would fill in for Colbert. Your comments seem to indicate otherwise.

View attachment 44025

You meant the "The Get Down"

View attachment 44025

You meant the "The Get Down"

I meant what I wrote.

Advertisement

I think he could be serviceable this season for sure. Players on the team have always noted that he's one of the most physical DBs on the roster, I just think he was still developing the technical side of the position. Like DMoney said, id still expect Delaney and Young as the top two boundary corners, Bandy in the slot, and then it will be a good battle between Jhavonte Dean and Jackson.

I presumed Young would fill in for Corn and Delaney/Jackson would fill in for Colbert. Your comments seem to indicate otherwise.

Aren't you talking about Jackson here, not Young? If so, then there's no contradiction, as Young replaces Elder (as both you and Pete say) and Delaney/Jackson replace Colbert/Redwine. ... Jackson has always been noted as a great athlete, super fast and physical, just makes bad decisions some times. If he's getting enough reps where he doesn't have to think but makes the right reads and takes the right angles naturally, he could be an absolute beast for us.

Aren't you talking about Jackson here, not Young? If so, then there's no contradiction, as Young replaces Elder (as both you and Pete say) and Delaney/Jackson replace Colbert/Redwine. ... Jackson has always been noted as a great athlete, super fast and physical, just makes bad decisions some times. If he's getting enough reps where he doesn't have to think but makes the right reads and takes the right angles naturally, he could be an absolute beast for us.
No, in another thread Pete said Delaney and Young would be the top two boundary corners. He meant they'd be the two guys playing outside. I understood his message as they'd be fighting for the "Boundary" corner spot. Literally, "boundary" corner is a position - opposite of the "Field" corner. There's a clear distinction between the two positions. Just a mixup based on the words used. Pete clarified it in the other thread that he just meant both would likely be the outside guys.

Advertisement
Back