Sooo any chance at a at large bid

Advertisement
Say we win out and make the ACC CG, could this team snag an at-large bid?

Yes I think it is a possibility under that scenario, obviously depending on what happens with the teams around us. As always, the "if we win out" approach would put us in the at large discussion. The problem has been the winning part.

Yes I think it is a possibility under that scenario, obviously depending on what happens with the teams around us. As always, the "if we win out" approach would put us in the at large discussion. The problem has been the winning part.

I agree but there is no way that is happening. I expect us to go into the ACC tournament at .500.

Say we win out and make the ACC CG, could this team snag an at-large bid?
Sitting now at 22-25, a 5 game winning streak, and 7 regular season games left.

If the team wins out and get to the ACC Championship Game, they would be 32-26 while having won 15/16 games. That would probably get us an at-large bid.

It's a big ask, but it's possible.

Probably. We might even sneak into the tournament in that scenario by making it to the ACC semi-finals. That would leave us at 31-26 with a signature series win against Clemson. Last year's team should have made the tournament at 30-27 without a signature win were it not for a large round of bid stealing. Although I am concerned we won't be able to get our RPI as high as last year's team in that scenario.

That said, I just don't see it happening. On paper we're better than our opponent in 6 of our last 7 regular season games, but it's unlikely we'd sweep an ACC road series. Which would leave us at 5-2. With this team I expect us to find a way to lose another game, and finish the regular season at 4-3 with an overall record of 26-28. I actually have a sneaky suspicion that we lose this weekend's series. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Advertisement
All I know is regardless of if we get hot and somehow get an at-large bid, this team isn't a postseason team. Last year's was more qualified in terms of how they played, I think...but that's not saying much.

Let me make one thing clear before I say this next part: I am NOT rooting against this team, and will be happy if we make the postseason.

However - for the culture of the program and to hopefully spur some positive change, I actually kind of hope we don't make it. Sure, the extra reps for the underclassmen and postseason experience (even if it isn't a winning one) can be helpful. I can see a scenario where it could be more helpful for us to miss 2 years in a row, because that will hopefully force DiMare's hand to make some meaningful changes to how things are being done currently in several facets - hire a different hitting coach with a more aggressive approach, upgrade the facilities w/tomato money, rethink how we recruit and what types of players we need.

My fear is that the stagnation and ****tiness we've all observed continues if we somehow back into the postseason because some within the program will view it as "improvement" over last season, and a reason to stay the course without any consideration for any changes that could help the program.

All I know is regardless of if we get hot and somehow get an at-large bid, this team isn't a postseason team. Last year's was more qualified in terms of how they played, I think...but that's not saying much.

Let me make one thing clear before I say this next part: I am NOT rooting against this team, and will be happy if we make the postseason.

However - for the culture of the program and to hopefully spur some positive change, I actually kind of hope we don't make it. Sure, the extra reps for the underclassmen and postseason experience (even if it isn't a winning one) can be helpful. I can see a scenario where it could be more helpful for us to miss 2 years in a row, because that will hopefully force DiMare's hand to make some meaningful changes to how things are being done currently in several facets - hire a different hitting coach with a more aggressive approach, upgrade the facilities w/tomato money, rethink how we recruit and what types of players we need.

My fear is that the stagnation and ****tiness we've all observed continues if we somehow back into the postseason because some within the program will view it as "improvement" over last season, and a reason to stay the course without any consideration for any changes that could help the program.

Two things though, it won't be "backing in" they'd have won 15/16 as stated and nothing is going to change next year as it pertains to "staying the course".
Hey who knows maybe this team is starting to peak and can put a little run together.

Being completely out of the picture and then sweeping teams 123, 162, and 199 to finally get over .500 while hoping that a dozen other teams fall apart is pretty much the definition of backing in. The opposite of backing in would be Florida, winning 40 games and leading the RPI during the months of April and May.

Advertisement
Being completely out of the picture and then sweeping teams 123, 162, and 199 to finally get over .500 while hoping that a dozen other teams fall apart is pretty much the definition of backing in. The opposite of backing in would be Florida, winning 40 games and leading the RPI during the months of April and May.

IMO, backing in implies they'd be undeserving, which if the scenario played out like mentioned that would not be the case.

Backing in is the 8-5 NFL team that loses three straight games to finish the season but still makes the playoffs.

Advertisement
How nice would it be to have two more midweek wins at this point? 27-23 instead of 25-25. Pick any two of the games we've squandered away (FAU at home and at FGCU come to mind).

Backing in is the 8-5 NFL team that loses three straight games to finish the season but still makes the playoffs.
While this is true, it's still not a good thing (using our program's history as the measuring stick) that we're having to rely on sweeping bad teams here at the end of the season to nab a 3-seed at a high national seed's regional. I won't argue the "backing in" vernacular one way or another, but as of a few weeks ago - we weren't in, and didn't deserve to be in the postseason. Sweeping those RPI 123/162/199 teams and winning 15/16 (if we do it) doesn't really mean we "deserve" it either...especially given our performance against better teams not named Clemson.

I'm still not jazzed overall about our teams performance, but the blowout Saturday and the gutsy performances in extras on Friday/Sunday were good to see...even if Friday's game should have been closed out by Bartow and not extended past our 4-2 lead going into B9. I think some of the younger kids are figuring it out in terms of swinging the bat more and seeing good things happen.

Advertisement
If we win out all the way to the ACC CG, I think we're in. Lose anything other than that and I doubt it though

Who'd a thunk that a late season game vs Stetson would be so important.

40-11, and the only team with a longer current win streak(10) than...Miami. IIRC

Advertisement
Back