Somewhat OT

Always Correct

Recruit
Premium
Indianapolis just announced no fans will be allowed to attend the Indy 500 this year. The race probably generates around 500 million or more in local revenue, ie hotels, restaurants, shopping, etc.

With that announcement I have a way less than optimistic feeling about college football taking place this fall. When you look at that revenue loss from a single event in this city. You can totally forget about fans for sure this year either way.

Advertisement
Just trying to put in perspective what one event canceling has economically in a big city. That one event generates more revenue than (3) college football seasons do for Miami. Given that it’s also a large metropolitan area that is also experiencing large numbers of new Covid cases it seems like it’s comparable. Also given that Roger Penske just purchased the Speedway a few months ago would have increased pressure to make sure fans could attend. It seems like there are a lot of comparable things. The only thing that’s different is the sport.

Advertisement
Not sure that the Inday 500 being run without fans means anything in relation to football. However, given the way people panic when an athlete is diagnosed with the bug, I get the feeling that college football will likely get shut down with relative quickness. There's no way to stop players from catching it, so if people continue to go into hysteria when players catch it, then it's not going to work out.

Of course, they won't get hysterical when those some players catch it away from the field hanging out with each other because it won't be a news item. So it'll be OK when they catch it away from football; just don't catch it while playing.

Not sure that the Inday 500 being run without fans means anything in relation to football. However, given the way people panic when an athlete is diagnosed with the bug, I get the feeling that college football will likely get shut down with relative quickness. There's no way to stop players from catching it, so if people continue to go into hysteria when players catch it, then it's not going to work out.

Of course, they won't get hysterical when those some players catch it away from the field hanging out with each other because it won't be a news item. So it'll be OK when they catch it away from football; just don't catch it while playing.
The reality is that at least some college students will die from COVID regardless, unfortunately, but if one of those happens to be a football player, it's over.

Sadly, I believe you may be correct. Covid is nothing to be taken lightly, nor engaged in wild conspiracy theories. But when even on this board you have people cheering for no season, or coming up with crazy estimates that hundreds, or thousands of football players could die, then I don’t expect a thoughtful measured response from the general public at large.

Nothing changes the fact that football players are more at risk from the general morbidity and mortality of playing the sport itself, or are in an age group that (historically) is more at risk from other respiratory pathogens, than from this virus. It’s one of the age groups where this can be stated with relative confidence, based on the data.

In the end, the best hope is that what we are seeing today is a “filling of the gaps“ by the virus, aided by the end of lockdowns and increases in social mobility, and that in a month or so what are hotspots now have significantly subsided, and the remaining “gaps to be filled” are the more remote population centers (kind of the way it to migrated from southern to Northern California at the present time).

If that hoped for abatement occurs, I think the national consciousness might be somewhat different, which could help create an environment in which a sports shutdown might be less likely.

But I’m just guessing, projecting, and hoping here.

We can't even keep golfers from getting it lol. If MLB is the standard, we have 0% chance of completing a season.

I'm all for players receiving extra eligibility & signing a Top 5 class with momentum for '21. Good luck GR15! 🙌

Advertisement
The reality is that at least some college students will die from COVID regardless, unfortunately, but if one of those happens to be a football player, it's over.
Yep. If a player catches it and dies while taking part in team related activities then he likely would have caught it and died away from the team too.

Some people are going to die or have terrible effects from it. That’s just reality. If we accept reality we can deal with it better.

I didn't realize the fans drove the cars in the Indy 500, and by them not doing so there will be no college football.

Wait, you mean fans DON'T drive the cars and the race is still on? Whew. Now, if we can only get the fans of college football to not play the games, maybe they can be played by someone else. Let's hope this is the case.

I didn't realize the fans drove the cars in the Indy 500, and by them not doing so there will be no college football.

Wait, you mean fans DON'T drive the cars and the race is still on? Whew. Now, if we can only get the fans of college football to not play the games, maybe they can be played by someone else. Let's hope this is the case.

Well if you look at all the cancellations going on in a non contact sport like baseball, then all of the reports of collegiate players testing positive including our own team, it starts to give one serious doubt. I hope there’s College Football this fall. Have my doubts though.

Advertisement
Back