Something I'd like to see the offense do more this year

Advertisement
One play that intrigued me, was OSU's first TD in the NC game. Looked like a "Wham" play, with the QB reading the back-side DE.

That play in OP's thread looks like a power play to me.
I focused my post on the blocking scheme - not the action between the QB/RB.

Gotcha, and I'm focused on the blocking scheme also...looks like power to me without a lead blocker.

No, it's not a power play.

Power plays are usually hat-on-hat plays. Those uncovered OL didn't engage the initial contact, but helped w/ their eyes on the second level...waiting for the LB to commit one way or the other before making a move on them.

Advertisement
This is absolutely an inside zone (IZ) scheme, double first level (hands first level, eyes 2nd) and block up to second, and that's exactly what happened. I've coached ball now for 6 years and since Oline for 3 years and implemented solely inside and outside zone (OZ) techniques.

Going back to Lu comment, the great thing about zone in my opinion, and I've put my reputation on it, is the fact you essentially have 5 guard type of players and still get movement on IZ or OZ, especially if they're all moving at one unit. Point of Attack (POA) plays you have to essentially put certain type of players in certain spots (i.e., a more athletic center, and maulers at guards and behemoths at tackles).
The second benefit to a zone scheme, it put the onus on the RB to make the oline look better then it actually is or vice versa, since they don't have a specific hole to run to in the play call, they go where the sun shines and in a hurry.
Finally, the big benefit is, it doesn't matter what front the defensive coordinator throws at you, as long as the oline takes the proper first 2-3 steps and stays on their tracks, they block the man in the zone, they will come to you. Plus, it's easier to coach overall, POA has so many changes in coaching techniques with every different shade or techniques the opposing players lines up in.

Well the fact that Kaaya cant run 1/2 as well as Marshall does, makes this thread irrelevant.

As I mentioned in another thread, I anticipate that, offensively, we'll heavily rely on Kaaya progressing to his next level, which means lots of 3WR and 4WR looks. From the run game, even out of those sets, I'd really like to see more use of this:

proxy.php

In other words, the inside zone run game. I think Yearby is perfectly suited as a "short-area burst" type back to make the most of it. His cutback ability is obviously elite. His vision is excellent. And, he's put on the necessary weight to withstand some punishment.

*If anyone can edit that gif to just appear on the post, that'd be helpful. I can't seem to get it to work from my current comp.

Well the fact that Kaaya cant run 1/2 as well as Marshall does, makes this thread irrelevant.

As I mentioned in another thread, I anticipate that, offensively, we'll heavily rely on Kaaya progressing to his next level, which means lots of 3WR and 4WR looks. From the run game, even out of those sets, I'd really like to see more use of this:

proxy.php

In other words, the inside zone run game. I think Yearby is perfectly suited as a "short-area burst" type back to make the most of it. His cutback ability is obviously elite. His vision is excellent. And, he's put on the necessary weight to withstand some punishment.

*If anyone can edit that gif to just appear on the post, that'd be helpful. I can't seem to get it to work from my current comp.

You should consider reading through the thread. I'm not talking about QB/RB action. I'm talking about inside zone blocking. Either this board forgot how to comprehend, or just refuses to accept that inside zone run schemes DO NOT mean you have to run the option read. In fact, we ran a good amount of inside zone with Mike James.

Relevance back on.

Ahhhhh, now I see what ya'll are talking about. I was looking at all the down blocks, but the RB certainly took an IZ path. My bad fellas.

Advertisement
Yeah but Lu, you can't just focus on the blocking scheme. The RB/QB action is a huge part of the success of these runs. This is my POV, but the defense is set up in your gif to account for a run by the QB - look at the OLB going upfield for contain. That looks to me that one part of the defense has QB responsibility. If QB responsibility can be ignored by the defense, I'm guessing the results will be very differently than if they were focused on the QB run. JMO.

You should consider reading through the thread. I'm not talking about QB/RB action. I'm talking about inside zone blocking. Either this board forgot how to comprehend, or just refuses to accept that inside zone run schemes DO NOT mean you have to run the option read. In fact, we ran a good amount of inside zone with Mike James.

Relevance back on.

sometimes peoples dont want to listen or comprehend. they become thick and pigheaded, ya know.

But regardless if it's zone or power, both schemes seek double-teams. Watching us run power last year, either Kehoe can't teach it, or the OLmen don't understand their blocking rules...I think it's more of the latter.

In the bowl game, I saw both Guards pull into each other, resulting in a loss.

In the Louisville game, on goal to go...instead of the Center blocking back on the back-side 3-Tech., we try to cut em' with the back-side RT, resulting in a loss.

In the NU game, on Duke's fumble, Dobard was actually supposed to block that LB that stripped Duke.

We can run power, just think our guys have brain farts from time to time on their blocking rules.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Let me clarify: it's not about the play I linked, which involves the QB running as an option. It's about the blocking scheme in it. Watch the OL.

Gus' best play is actually outside zone. Despite the misconceptions about him being a 'big back,' he's really just a 'big athlete' who does his best work in a one cut scenario.

Yes, I actually think this year's OL is very well-suited for inside and outside zone plays. I'm more concerned about their strength and experience with the power run plays for which I usually encourage. I trust guys like McDermott (if he ends up inside at LG) and Linder to be able to work together with the combo blocks necessary in an inside zone scheme. I think Isidora is actually better suited as a "chip and get to the second level" guy than he is as a power run guy.

We'll see what Coley has in mind, but one thing I've been weary of during his tenure is his 'grab bag' type of playcalling, as well as curious playcalls pursuant to the skill sets of his units. I understand Duke was a fantastic zone runner, but I thought our OL was often best suited for power run plays last year and the year prior.

Didnt mean to downvote my man

Advertisement
Lu, you think this years Oline will be effective enough at the point of attack to run a play effectively?

This is my concern, as well. My fear is that we will be forced to go with Gus more than I'd like because of holes in the O line depth.

but Gus is horrible if he has to stop and start in the backfield, which presumably would happen alot with a ****** OL

Yeah, Edwards is a downhill runner all the way, he's not Fred Astaire. That's not his game

Regarding the questionable Oline, I think one way to mitigate that is to go more no-huddle, up-tempo and basically let Kaaya run the show, controlling things and with an emphasis on getting the ball out of his hands quickly

Ha Ha, Uptempo? Not with Coley calling his look to the sideline to verify the play game calling. He has not shown uptempo play calling since he has been here. His uptempo is to throw a bubble screen.

I'd be shocked if we ran this type of offense with any consistency. I expect a gameplan similar to the South Carolina last season most of the time this coming season.

I would like to see our offense score more and our defense not allow teams to score as much. i know this might not be part of the "scheme" but a guy can dream right?

Advertisement
Back