Something for later - Ray Ray from the slot

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Restrepo had a heck of a football game yesterday. He catches the ball. He blocks. He's aware. He runs after the catch and is difficult to bring down. He does everything you'd seemingly want. This thread isn't about "replacing" him.

This thread is about looking for future competitive advantages against some of our key opponents.

That's potentially with an infusion of speed in the slot.

Here's an example:
Ray Ray was in the slot to the boundary (top of the screen). Restrepo was at the bottom of the screen out of his slot. Ray Ray seemingly only got a handful of snaps, but each time I saw him run a route, his acceleration stood out.

Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 10.52.50 PM.png

With another tick or some rhythm and anticipation that may grow as the season progresses, I think this is a chunk play if not a TD yesterday.

Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 10.52.32 PM.png

As you can see above, Ray Ray made an inside out move and headed toward the sideline. The DB lost a step and nearly fell. Unfortunately, TVD ran out of time on a 4-man rush, but we could have otherwise seen a healthy chunk play on 3rd and 6 here.

Sure, this play didn't net anything positive and probably gets lost in a game full of important plays. But, (a) I was hoping we'd see Ray Ray in a 4WR set again or out of the slot and (b) it made me excited for what Dawson may do in upcoming games with what he saw.

Advertisement
Great post, Dawson will have ALOT to revisit in the future

The big post to jacolby, the deep crosser or i think it was a double post where X was open but tvd was hurrried.

Also i wanna say on the first drive, there was a play where young motioned across right to the left side ran a dig or a curl im not 100% sure yet,the te cam ran up the side line, parrish swung out left..TVD had it but i think he came off of cam too early idk for sure because i dont remember seeing the safety but he hit parrish in the flat but cam could’ve got a big gain. This is just my memory watching live I didn’t rewatch yet lol

Advertisement
Restrepo had a heck of a football game yesterday. He catches the ball. He blocks. He's aware. He runs after the catch and is difficult to bring down. He does everything you'd seemingly want. This thread isn't about "replacing" him.

This thread is about looking for future competitive advantages against some of our key opponents.

Here's an example:
Ray Ray was in the slot to the boundary (top of the screen). Restrepo was at the bottom of the screen out of his slot. Ray Ray seemingly only got a handful of snaps, but each time I saw him run a route, his acceleration stood out.

View attachment 256046
With another tick or some rhythm and anticipation that may grow as the season progresses, I think this is a chunk play if not a TD yesterday.

View attachment 256047

As you can see above, Ray Ray made an inside out move and headed toward the sideline. The DB lost a step and nearly fell. Unfortunately, TVD ran out of time on a 4-man rush, but we could have otherwise seen a healthy chunk play on 3rd and 6 here.

Sure, this play didn't net anything positive and probably gets lost in a game full of important plays. But, (a) I was hoping we'd see Ray Ray in a 4WR set again or out of the slot and (b) it made me excited for what Dawson may do in upcoming games with what he saw.

Can’t wait to see how this offense continues to develop. I would still like to see Smith get in on some slot work but seems he is behind X and Ray Ray already.

Here's an example:

View attachment 256046

View attachment 256047

Good post and I agree about Ray Ray. Part of what was so exciting about Saturday nights offensive performance was what we did not see. We carved up an $EC defense loaded with talent and we did this with our top 3 receivers(mostly) Young, Restrepo and George. Keep in mind that prior to the season we were all going on about how much talent we have at TE in addition to the depth and talent at RB and how they are all potential weapons in the passing game.

We have been able to score 86 points in two games, 48 of which came against that Uber talented ATM team with all those 5 star players. Yet after the first two games we have not seen a thing from our TEs and RBs in the passing game and that is exciting. I really cannot wait to see how this offense continues to grow and evolve once Elijah Arroyo returns and Jaleel Skinner and Riley Williams begin to get playing time. Add to that Dawson hasn't even begun to incorporate his RBs into the passing game. Parrish and Allen are particularly dangerous coming out of the backfield with Chaney being very capable. People are going to go nuts when they see just how versatile Mark Fletcher is as a player and how natural he is as a receiver. Chris Johnson is another potential weapon as a receiver out of the backfield but he may redshirt.

Yet there are still more names to be mentioned before it or not. At WR we can bet that Dawson is going to have a few different ways to exploit the ridiculous speed of Tyler Harrell. Then we have Isaiah Horton who will continue to develop throughout the season. That 52 yard TD was a huge confidence boost for the young man. Robbie Washington and Shemar Kirk may not get many opportunities this year and Dawson won't need everyone of the young men I mentioned above but having quality depth is a great problem to have.

Advertisement
Good post and I agree about Ray Ray. Part of what was so exciting about Saturday nights offensive performance was what we did not see. We carved up an $EC defense loaded with talent and we did this with our top 3 receivers(mostly) Young, Restrepo and George. Keep in mind that prior to the season we were all going on about how much talent we have at TE in addition to the depth and talent at RB and how they are all potential weapons in the passing game.

We have been able to score 86 points in two games, 48 of which came against that Uber talented ATM team with all those 5 star players. Yet after the first two games we have not seen a thing from our TEs and RBs in the passing game and that is exciting. I really cannot wait to see how this offense continues to grow and evolve once Elijah Arroyo returns and Jaleel Skinner and Riley Williams begin to get playing time. Add to that Dawson hasn't even begun to incorporate his RBs into the passing game. Parrish and Allen are particularly dangerous coming out of the backfield with Chaney being very capable. People are going to go nuts when they see just how versatile Mark Fletcher is as a player and how natural he is as a receiver. Chris Johnson is another potential weapon as a receiver out of the backfield but he may redshirt.

Yet there are still more names to be mentioned before it or not. At WR we can bet that Dawson is going to have a few different ways to exploit the ridiculous speed of Tyler Harrell. Then we have Isaiah Horton who will continue to develop throughout the season. That 52 yard TD was a huge confidence boost for the young man. Robbie Washington and Shemar Kirk may not get many opportunities this year and Dawson won't need everyone of the young men I mentioned above but having quality depth is a great problem to have.
Williams got quite a few snap and Dawson split him out. Just a question of when he gets some looks.

Williams got quite a few snap and Dawson split him out. Just a question of when he gets some looks.
Thought we missed some opportunities with our TEs. Outside of the late look to McCormick, we didn’t really push the ball down the middle of the field to our TEs, and TAMU was vulnerable to it. Excited to see how the offense evolves.

Advertisement
Back