Someone explain the O to me like I’m 5

Go watch any nfl game it’s the same ****
Teams get down to goaline running from three wide sets then get goaline area they swap out WRs for a fullback and two mediocre blocking TEs which allows D to go to heavy set and play everyone in box and what do you know
They stuff them!

I’ve been watching this bs stupid coaching mentality my entire life and it never ceases to amaze me how DUMB most of these **** coaches are, they are STUPID PEOPLE
Literally

Lol. That's exactly why i said " On every level of football". I watched my close friend **** his lil league team over doing the same ignorant ****. He was spread the entire game and them kids did not want to tackle his back. Up 14-0 @ half.

Came out of halftime in a **** goal line set talking about he want to run the clock out since they cant stop the run. Other team had way more big guys. 1st **** play of the half run gets stuffed. Back fumbles they take it in and the 2 pt conversion to 14-8. This dummy stays in heavy. Mid 4th quarter they do the same thing and return it AGAIN to the house. 16-14 now. His QB throws a pic. Hated cross town rival wins the senior youth Ship. Absolutely dumb.

Im a Titans fan bro. Vrabel is Mario. Einhorn Finkel. I see this **** on every level of football.

Advertisement
It’s very very easy to say the coaching staff are morons. They even might be. But in really curious as to a real, steal man argument for what is going through their heads to only open up the O when we’re down two scores, only to then revert back to what wasn’t working once we’re slightly up. It’s really weird, and I honest to god want to understand the logic or understand if that’s not what’s actually happening and I’m just missing something. Does anyone get it?
It's very hard to discern the big picture from this offense.

What's most concerning is that this was true with a great OL this year. That usually affords the opportunity to to deploy a varied and confusing O that keeps a D highly off balance. We didn't do that often enough.

A&M and BC were by far our best offensive performances, but those were not representative of the scheme or tactics in other games, which is head-scratching.

It’s very very easy to say the coaching staff are morons. They even might be. But in really curious as to a real, steal man argument for what is going through their heads to only open up the O when we’re down two scores, only to then revert back to what wasn’t working once we’re slightly up. It’s really weird, and I honest to god want to understand the logic or understand if that’s not what’s actually happening and I’m just missing something. Does anyone get it?

sxLdOZ.gif

Teams get down to goaline running from three wide sets then get goaline area they swap out WRs for a fullback and two mediocre blocking TEs which allows D to go to heavy set and play everyone in box and what do you know
They stuff them!

I’ve been watching this bs stupid coaching mentality my entire life and it never ceases to amaze me how DUMB most of these **** coaches are, they are STUPID PEOPLE
Literally
It can go the other way too. Mike McDaniel gets way too cute by the goal line and has now reverted to caveman ball which has worked a lot better.

Advertisement
They stuff them!

Literally
You would’ve loved my offense. +5 going empty set stick-draw

Our coaches want a balanced attack, but only scheme up runs in bunch formation which gives away our intent. Our other versions of the "run" are screens and jet sweeps. These are usually set up with trips to one side or tipped off early by the motion since we don't use a ton of pre-snap motion. Dawson doesn't seem to be capable of consistently scheming up an efficient and creative running attack.

When we get behind we have no choice but to air it out to make up yards in a hurry. We do pretty well against man coverage, but don't seem to use anything to beat zone or when they drop 8.

The only thing I can think of when they get slightly ahead is that they go back to their original game plan. Adjustments to the game plan and tendency breakers don't happen and we end up very predictable. Maybe it's a symptom of wanting to play "straight up, tuff and phizikill" football. Richt was guilty of this mindset too. There's an interview out there where he states "line up and beat your man" and "we'll run 3 verticals in a row to see if they can match up". The problem is, if you're that predictable people will have a scheme to place their players in an advantageous position to make a play. We lack that coaching advantage on offense.
Great description

Explain like a 5 year old??? Ok... Here goes.... Ummm I forgot... My attention span at 5 was all over the place.... Sooooooooo.....I got this instead....
I was driving the other day up A1A and passed Diplomat Hotel in Hallandale and they had this up..... Yes the Noles are staying at Diplomat....
It hurt seeing this up in South Florida.... And they had Cops all over the hotel so no I wasn't gonna be the dumbass to try and cut down the banner... LOL!!!
20231227_111657.jpg

Advertisement
For the life of me i dont know why we dont run out of 10 personnel to keep teams from loading the box. Running from condensed sets within the hashes out of 11,12, and 13 personnel is such a disservice to the team and modern football it doesnt make any sense.

Purposely bringing heavy formations and more defenders in the box and trying to run the ball is just the most insane **** i see coaches do on every level of football. Give your **** players a competitive advantage by making the opponents think. Thinking causes relapses in judgment and technique. Its what separates the good coaches from the great. Ive typed what youve typed ad nauseam on here. Some still wont and dont see it.
That 4th and 2 in the 4Q had me sick. Rutgers takes a timeout, then dawson and mario come out in the same **** they've trotted out all year. Everybody in NY knew exactly what the miami hurricanes were running in that formation, and they predictably got stuffed.

It can go the other way too. Mike McDaniel gets way too cute by the goal line and has now reverted to caveman ball which has worked a lot better.
True but you have to have the horses so it’s an advantage…
In general there are three coaches in NfL that I respect and give benefit of most if not all situations
McDaniel
McVay
Shanahan
And Harbaugh is pretty **** good w going for it etc….
The rest are Jags

Funny thing is Dan Campbell, the ultimate caveman who would steal Cristobal’s girl and eat all his food - dude allows the ball to be thrown around yard even though he likes to run as well!!! He has adapted to this generation of football from what he was as a TE!!!

Advertisement
If you look at Dawson's scheme he only believes that QBs should throw the ball to the left or right of the hash marks to limit ints. Quartbacks are not permitted to throw to a tight end across the middle or a reciever running a shallow cross because of the risk of the int. It basically means a quarterback has only half the field to throw to. It is why Tyler said hey, your system is not for me. In the bowl game JB didn't even try to throw in the middle of the field. Even when he should have when the game time dictated it. He was told by Dawson not to do so.

It's like the old triple option. Sometimes you give it to the FB even when it's not there to set it up. Except we aren't setting anything up.

Advertisement
Dawson’s route trees suck. Watch our WRs there’s almost always at least a couple bunched together. The windows to throw into are small so a qb has to work miracles to consistently move the ball. The above issues cause turnovers which results in Dawson and Mario going super conservative. That results in the same run play over and over.

Mario wants to limit possessions so he slows the game down to a crawl. Plays for field position and keeping the score close. This philosophy puts a lot of stress on both players and coaches. Limited possessions lead to limited plays. A close score can change quickly in cfb so the losses pile up as common sense will tell you, you’re going to lose more games than you should if you keep games closer than they should be.

Last edited:
Many posters eluded to it already but

1) no marriage between run and pass formations so at no point is one play truly setting up another with any consistency

2) predictability out of down and distance/formation often has the play dead on arrival

3) varied run sets would be lost for games at a time running simple zone concepts into heavy boxes repeatedly. Not even where our OL excelled schematically. Maddening

4) woof those route trees. Is a plus OC vs man coverage and awful against any zones. No motion to help QB pre snap identify. But anyone with a brain knew Dawson was a poor play caller his entire career and couple that with the caveman and here we are

Advertisement
Back