Someone explain the O to me like I’m 5

305_separatist

Threskiornithidae
Premium
It’s very very easy to say the coaching staff are morons. They even might be. But in really curious as to a real, steal man argument for what is going through their heads to only open up the O when we’re down two scores, only to then revert back to what wasn’t working once we’re slightly up. It’s really weird, and I honest to god want to understand the logic or understand if that’s not what’s actually happening and I’m just missing something. Does anyone get it?

Advertisement
It’s very very easy to say the coaching staff are morons. They even might be. But in really curious as to a real, steal man argument for what is going through their heads to only open up the O when we’re down two scores, only to then revert back to what wasn’t working once we’re slightly up. It’s really weird, and I honest to god want to understand the logic or understand if that’s not what’s actually happening and I’m just missing something. Does anyone get it?
giphy.gif

Our coaches want a balanced attack, but only scheme up runs in bunch formation which gives away our intent. Our other versions of the "run" are screens and jet sweeps. These are usually set up with trips to one side or tipped off early by the motion since we don't use a ton of pre-snap motion. Dawson doesn't seem to be capable of consistently scheming up an efficient and creative running attack.

When we get behind we have no choice but to air it out to make up yards in a hurry. We do pretty well against man coverage, but don't seem to use anything to beat zone or when they drop 8.

The only thing I can think of when they get slightly ahead is that they go back to their original game plan. Adjustments to the game plan and tendency breakers don't happen and we end up very predictable. Maybe it's a symptom of wanting to play "straight up, tuff and phizikill" football. Richt was guilty of this mindset too. There's an interview out there where he states "line up and beat your man" and "we'll run 3 verticals in a row to see if they can match up". The problem is, if you're that predictable people will have a scheme to place their players in an advantageous position to make a play. We lack that coaching advantage on offense.

Advertisement
Like a 5 year old? Ok:

Do you like milk, bud? You do? Great, buddy.

I'm going to buy you a cow. Learn to milk it. Don't use the ipad or ask anyone for help.

The work is worth more than the milk.

Once you understand, you can call yourself a man.

I like how you said a man conversation. But look.

Obviously Mario likes to run the ball, it seems to me we run a west coast power run type of scheme, so basically you run the ball a lot and use short screens to set up big plays. Here’s the problem in this type of offense the quarterback has to be a good decision maker when the defense comes up to stop the run, part of why our offense looked predictable is poor QB play, they don’t trust the quarterbacks making decisions. Go watch Van Dyke against A&M our offense looked great, he made the right decisions, look at the Boston College game the offense looked more creative and less predictable because the could trust the quarterback to make the right decisions, if you look at Van Dyke against GT the only difference is he made the wrong and bad decisions, throwing into double coverage, starring down one receiver, and the route gets jumped for a touchdown, not being patient and hitting your check downs. On top of that our head coach just doesn’t mange games well, to me, he doesn’t have a feel for play calling, knowing when to call certain plays, knowing when to go against your tendencies, so he also makes bad decisions and we don’t quite have enough talent to make up for it.

Advertisement
Dawson is still the guy Kentucky and USM fans hated and Houston fans are convinced got the play sheet taken when they started moving the ball. Absolutely no imagination or creativity on the ground.

Having a caveman down your neck begging for condensed set runs up the gut on 3rd or 4th and 3 yards and in really doesn’t help.

Last edited:
Donald Duck Running GIF by Boven Webdesign

Our coaches want a balanced attack, but only scheme up runs in bunch formation which gives away our intent. Our other versions of the "run" are screens and jet sweeps. These are usually set up with trips to one side or tipped off early by the motion since we don't use a ton of pre-snap motion. Dawson doesn't seem to be capable of consistently scheming up an efficient and creative running attack.

When we get behind we have no choice but to air it out to make up yards in a hurry. We do pretty well against man coverage, but don't seem to use anything to beat zone or when they drop 8.

The only thing I can think of when they get slightly ahead is that they go back to their original game plan. Adjustments to the game plan and tendency breakers don't happen and we end up very predictable. Maybe it's a symptom of wanting to play "straight up, tuff and phizikill" football. Richt was guilty of this mindset too. There's an interview out there where he states "line up and beat your man" and "we'll run 3 verticals in a row to see if they can match up". The problem is, if you're that predictable people will have a scheme to place their players in an advantageous position to make a play. We lack that coaching advantage on offense.

For the life of me i dont know why we dont run out of 10 personnel to keep teams from loading the box. Running from condensed sets within the hashes out of 11,12, and 13 personnel is such a disservice to the team and modern football it doesnt make any sense.

Purposely bringing heavy formations and more defenders in the box and trying to run the ball is just the most insane **** i see coaches do on every level of football. Give your **** players a competitive advantage by making the opponents think. Thinking causes relapses in judgment and technique. Its what separates the good coaches from the great. Ive typed what youve typed ad nauseam on here. Some still wont and dont see it.

Advertisement

Acute fear of failure...

I like how you said a man conversation. But look.

Obviously Mario likes to run the ball, it seems to me we run a west coast power run type of scheme, so basically you run the ball a lot and use short screens to set up big plays. Here’s the problem in this type of offense the quarterback has to be a good decision maker when the defense comes up to stop the run, part of why our offense looked predictable is poor QB play, they don’t trust the quarterbacks making decisions. Go watch Van Dyke against A&M our offense looked great, he made the right decisions, look at the Boston College game the offense looked more creative and less predictable because the could trust the quarterback to make the right decisions, if you look at Van Dyke against GT the only difference is he made the wrong and bad decisions, throwing into double coverage, starring down one receiver, and the route gets jumped for a touchdown, not being patient and hitting your check downs. On top of that our head coach just doesn’t mange games well, to me, he doesn’t have a feel for play calling, knowing when to call certain plays, knowing when to go against your tendencies, so he also makes bad decisions and we don’t quite have enough talent to make up for it.

Problem with this is that in most cases we are making a 2 year college QB make decisions to match wits against seasoned grown a$$ DC who has been in this game more than the QBs papa... very few college QBs are that smart

Advertisement
Confidence in the QB: balanced attack including combo of power running & airing it out. See A&M and BC when they had confidence in TVD.

Struggling QB: rely on Power run game, throw a little less or throw shorter passes & limit high risk throws. Coach QB to hit more check downs or throw it away. See NC State & UL games.

New QB (or one with limited game experience): very limited playbook to protect the QB’s confidence & avoid TOs. See Clemson, FSU & parts of the Rutgers game (such as after that tough INT early on).

People say the offense doesn’t have an identity but that’s because of all of the turnovers by TVD (plus some fumbles) which forced Dawson to call more conservative games for much of the season. He knows you can’t win with 4-5 TOs per game so he was forced to adapt. Like many coaches, these coaches also go into a shell when mad TOs are happening. Dawson unquestionably goes very conservative & uses a limited playbook when he fears a Turnover Fest is either ongoing or about to occur and when he’s trying to protect a young QB so his confidence doesn’t get shaken. That is why the A&M game and the NC State game looked so different on O.

One common theme throughout the season was trying to establish a power running game. Mario has clearly emphasized since Day 1 that’s important to him & Dawson has dutifully implemented that approach in pretty much every game. As the young talent on the OL matures & our talent at RB improves, this Power Run game should be devastating to opponents…but we’re not there yet (our massive young guys on OL need to mature & get stronger & then Mario’s philosophy of big people beating up little people will be highly effective). Nothing wrong with a healthy mix of Bro Ball as long as you can be effective at it. Would like to see more diversity in the run game though (similar to what we saw against A&M).

For the life of me i dont know why we dont run out of 10 personnel to keep teams from loading the box. Running from condensed sets within the hashes out of 11,12, and 13 personnel is such a disservice to the team and modern football it doesnt make any sense.

Purposely bringing heavy formations and more defenders in the box and trying to run the ball is just the most insane **** i see coaches do on every level of football. Give your **** players a competitive advantage by making the opponents think. Thinking causes relapses in judgment and technique. Its what separates the good coaches from the great. Ive typed what youve typed ad nauseam on here. Some still wont and dont see it.
Go watch any nfl game it’s the same ****
Teams get down to goaline running from three wide sets then get goaline area they swap out WRs for a fullback and two mediocre blocking TEs which allows D to go to heavy set and play everyone in box and what do you know
They stuff them!

I’ve been watching this bs stupid coaching mentality my entire life and it never ceases to amaze me how DUMB most of these **** coaches are, they are STUPID PEOPLE
Literally

Dawson is still the guy Kentucky and USM fans hated and Houston fans are convinced got the play sheet taken when they started moving the ball. Absolutely no imagination or creativity on the ground.

Having a casement down your neck begging for condensed set runs up the gut on 3rd or 4th and 3 yards and in really doesn’t help.

Yup. Again, this is Dawson's resume:

Dawson is still the guy Kentucky and USM fans hated

Houston fans are convinced got the play sheet taken when they started moving the ball.

Dawson has never been a good OC. Never. Zero actual track record of success.

Agree

Advertisement
Back