Some thoughts on the second half

terdferguson

Junior
You have to be really careful with cause and effect. Seems like most people attribute the second half offensive production to going conservative. It's a natural correlation to make....the offense isn't working therefore, people wonder why aren't we doing what worked in the first half? You combine that with Al Golden's history and the conclusion is: we must have gone conservative. That's not what happened, in my opinion.

Here's what I saw at the game. I watched the alignment of the FSU defense all game. In the first half, they played almost exclusively with 1 safety deep. They made a real commitment to stop the run by bringing up an extra defender. That left some one on one matchups in the secondary that we took advantage of. Second half FSU almost exclusively had 2 safeties deep, and did not bring up an extra man. They played a lot of zone, had more guys in the secondary and relied on their base d to slow our run game. We ran the ball more in the second half but that's what we should do in response to their change in defensive alignment. Take advantage of what the defense gives you. For the most part we had success running the ball against this alignment and if we should have had more success I would point the finger at our oline. They have to dominate their front 7 if they don't stack the box.

Despite them giving us the run, we still took some shots and tried some of the things that worked in the first half. We threw a couple long balls, we went to the TE down the middle several times, etc. But for varying reasons it didn't work out.

Here are the main reasons why our offense didn't get it done in the second half:

1. Kaaya was a little off. To me he seemed a little scared to make a mistake. Exhibit A is the Coley miss down the sidelines. He put the ball where only Coley could get it or it would be out of bounds. But the safety was late getting over, he could have been more aggressive and thrown it more into the field. I recall another play where Walford broke open down the seam but he threw it so late that the FSU defender had time to recover and break it up. It's the same play that goes for big yardage in the first half because Kayaa makes a better throw.

2. Tipped passes by FSU. I counted 3 plays that would have been big if not for a tipped pass. First was the little dump off to Yearby that was batted down. Yearby had a lot of real estate out there in front of him. There was only one defender over there, Yearby beats that guy and it's a huge play. Second was the tipped ball on the downfield pass to Dorsett. I'm not sure if Kaaya made an inaccurate throw or was late, but Dorsett was open, Walford was open, there was another guy open too. That play should have been an easy pitch and catch for 25+ yards and would have put us deep into FSU territory. Third was the hot read to Dorsett. Guy was wide open coming off the line. Had potential to be a huge play. All three were plays where the FSU defender made a play. In the first half no one batted those balls and those throws went for big plays. Sometimes that's just the way it goes.

3. Duke's cramps. FSU was taking away the pass and giving us the run, meanwhile Duke isn't 100%. Bad, bad timing.

The real concern about the offense isn't going conservative, it's why does our offense sputter in the second half after the other team makes adjustments? This isn't just an FSU game thing, it's a pattern with Coley. We're really not going to win games like this until Coley gets that figured out. Should be priority #1 for him in the offseason. I like the philosophy for the second half: FSU is giving us the run, so let's run but still mix in the some of the passing plays that worked in the first half. However Coley falls short in execution. Here are two tweaks that I would have made:

One play that would have been nice to see is a safe play action pass. Like the play you see Bama and so many NFL teams run where you play action a stretch play and then hit the TE on a shallow cross going the other way. Usually good for 7-10 yards. We did have success running the ball in the second half, but we can't just hand it off every play. This type of play would have been very useful to mix in, keep the chains moving and keep some of these drives going. It can't be just deep seam pass to Walford, bomb to Dorsett or handoff to Duke. Especially after FSU keyed on taking away the long ball.

Second, I think Coley loses creativity as the game wears on. How vanilla was the 4th down call to end the game? What happened to the Duke wildcat after it worked? In the first half we have some different creative formations with Tucker and Walford out wide that confused FSU. We saw Duke and Yearby on the field at the same time with Yearby going in motion out wide. My impression is that as the game went on, this creativity lessened. Coley needs to either save some stuff for the 4th quarter or be comfortable with running some of these plays multiple times.

As for the defense, we went a little conservative but not full on old school Dorito prevent defense. We rushed either 4 or 5 on just about every play of the second half (something I keyed on). If we went full Dorito we would have seen the dbs playing in the club seats and 3 dts in the frog stance. There was none of that. I remember a play late in the game where FSU was 4 wide and we had 1 safety with 4 dbs pressed right up on the line. Loved seeing that!

The real problem on defense is the lack of pass rush and the lack of creative blitzes. FSU's oline gobbled up our blitzes. I would have liked to see us come with something a little more "exotic" as Al likes to say. I've watched FSU play a lot of games this season and just about everyone else put Winston on his *** all game long. UVA crushed the guy last week. There's no reason why with 2 weeks to prepare we shouldn't have been able to come up with better pressure packages.

To help with the pass rush we need to hire a new dline coach. It makes a difference. Remember in the mid 2000s when our dline sucked? We hired Palermo and immediately we had a great line. Shannon ran him off, hired Hurtt and our line sucked again. No one can tell me that all these dlinemen are busts. We have some talent, get a good dl coach in here pronto.

Advertisement
This post is dead on. Add the Dobard fumble, missed xp, missed chipshot fg, and the Williams freak play and we lose...Although I don't think we have much DL talent other than McCord, AQM (Who isn't playing), and maybe Chad (Hasn't done much yet, but is a baby). Lack of a pass rush is why we struggled to stop them. We did well considering we couldn't touch rapist.

Very good post. I pretty much agree with all of it.

Not a whole lot of well-thought-out analysis on here, for the most part, but I appreciate it when I see it.

I agree with a lot of what you said. Kaaya was off al 2nd half. His mechanics and timing just were not there. The running game was doing well enough, but Kaaya just had a bad half. The defense also did not change that much, it just was less effective because of the guys being tired and slower. The defensive line needs depth and better players. It was the main difference in the end. FSU was able to get pressure with 3 or 4. Miami need 6 to get pressure in the 4th quarter. We just don't have that great of a D-Line and that is onl Golden's recuiting and the D-Line coach.

If we could get good D-Line play, the game goes differntly.

Advertisement
Resigned to Golden coming back

If so, fire Franklin and Williams. hire T-Rob and a legit DL coach

Excellent points, and spot on.

I don't think the overly simplistic "we went into a shell" critique is accurate either. I was watching plays carefully and watched the game again last stopping to look at alignments and plays. We ran because FSU was playing the pass much more than they did in the 1st half. Also, running ate up clock, which kept Winston off the field most of the game.

Kaaya did look timid and made more mistakes in the 2nd half. Part of that was FSU adjusting. He's a true Frosh and I think some of the new alignments confused him. He was also over thinking things and trying too much to be perfect. I swear it felt like Dorsey's Frosh year all over again. You can see the talent and brilliance, its just his youth and inexperience that occasionally creeps in and slows him down.

On Defense, we blitzed like crazy all game, we definitely played very aggressive up front, we just have no pass rush, and I agree, our blitz packages were way too predictable and totally neutralized in the second half.

Overall I feel like the offense sputtered because FSU adjusted, and Kaaya is a true Frosh. I think he had trouble adjusting to the changes, and losing Duke off and on a lot int he second half really hurt in pass protection. Without Duke back there, Yearby was missing a lot of blocks.

The one thing that was just painful to watch was the total lack of a 2 minute drill this team has. I mean I can accept that it would be sloppy with a true Frosh, but **** that was just a disaster of clock management at the end.

Advertisement
Yeah we don't have all world talent on the dl, but we have enough to have a semblance of a pass rush.

We need a slide protection changer. I think we have a few in McCord, Thomas and AQM forming a nice trio next year. Bottom line is D needs to stop ******* around and turn the speed loose off the edges, On the interior we are decent with good quickness.

I agree that we remained aggressive on offense for most of the 3rd quarter. But for the 4th we simply became predictable and you could see that at that point we were playing to run out the clock at least thats how I saw it.

Good stuff.

The real problem on defense is the lack of pass rush and the lack of creative blitzes. FSU's oline gobbled up our blitzes. I would have liked to see us come with something a little more "exotic" as Al likes to say. I've watched FSU play a lot of games this season and just about everyone else put Winston on his *** all game long. UVA crushed the guy last week. There's no reason why with 2 weeks to prepare we shouldn't have been able to come up with better pressure packages.

To help with the pass rush we need to hire a new dline coach. It makes a difference. Remember in the mid 2000s when our dline sucked? We hired Palermo and immediately we had a great line. Shannon ran him off, hired Hurtt and our line sucked again. No one can tell me that all these dlinemen are busts. We have some talent, get a good dl coach in here pronto.

Great post, this **** right here is the difference between us and the elite teams. I watched a bunch of the Bama game on Saturday and their DL is so **** disruptive, we either just don't have the difference makers or they're not being coached properly. We will never be elite again until we can start making big plays on defense and that all starts up front

Excellent points, and spot on.

I don't think the overly simplistic "we went into a shell" critique is accurate either. I was watching plays carefully and watched the game again last stopping to look at alignments and plays. We ran because FSU was playing the pass much more than they did in the 1st half. Also, running ate up clock, which kept Winston off the field most of the game.

Kaaya did look timid and made more mistakes in the 2nd half. Part of that was FSU adjusting. He's a true Frosh and I think some of the new alignments confused him. He was also over thinking things and trying too much to be perfect. I swear it felt like Dorsey's Frosh year all over again. You can see the talent and brilliance, its just his youth and inexperience that occasionally creeps in and slows him down.

On Defense, we blitzed like crazy all game, we definitely played very aggressive up front, we just have no pass rush, and I agree, our blitz packages were way too predictable and totally neutralized in the second half.

Overall I feel like the offense sputtered because FSU adjusted, and Kaaya is a true Frosh. I think he had trouble adjusting to the changes, and losing Duke off and on a lot int he second half really hurt in pass protection. Without Duke back there, Yearby was missing a lot of blocks.

The one thing that was just painful to watch was the total lack of a 2 minute drill this team has. I mean I can accept that it would be sloppy with a true Frosh, but **** that was just a disaster of clock management at the end.

Great points. Eating up the clock was something I meant to include on my original post. In my opinion, we did it the entire game, not just in the second half or 4th quarter. We were running the play clock down in the first quarter. Keeping our d rested and Winston off the field is a solid strategy. We ended up winning the top 35-25! It's one reason why I was perplexed at how tired the d looked on fsu's last drive. I don't know if it's swasey or depth or a combination but we shouldn't be that tired after winning top that big. It's not like our offense was going 3 and out all second half. We had a number of nice drives that just ended up stalling.

The 2 minute drill was an abomination. We started with 3 minutes, an eternity. Yet we quickly ****ed it away and managed to make the clock an issue. Had we gotten the first down on that last play the clock was going to be a factor.

Advertisement
I think Lu described what happened in the second half perfectly.

They adjusted their defense and we didn't adjust our offense to attack those coverages. Instead, we took what the defense gave us. In the first half, we dictated to the defense. Any way you want to slice it, that's a difference in approach. That's a fact I'd like to see disputed. I've now re-watched enough of the game and stared at specific plays over and over that we can discuss more than just statistics without context or our feelings about what we saw.

Advertisement
Back