Some thoughts on the Clemson game...

I’ve seen a bunch of posts about Ashton Hampton locking up Toney. I just don’t see it. Toney got open at a solid clip against him, plus he usually had bracket help.

The two breakups seem flukey with a late throw and a bad play call. Motion your player right into Hampton and run a sit down route. Bad design.

Seemed like a quality battle to me, but not lockdown at all.
Hampton won some reps, Malachi won some reps. That's what happens when two high end players face each other. That said, Malachi was still able to make important catches, a true lockdown corner would have taken him completely away. Hampton is a very good corner.
 
I am not usually one to complain about the announcers… but Fowler/Herbstreit and the entire broadcast last night was awful.

Mistakenly showing a graphic with Clemson’s QB when they were intending to introduce Mensah.

Herbstreit multiple times indicating that Mendoza was on UM last season.

Fowler being off on multiple ball spots, including the stuffed 4th and short play by UM’s defense that was obviously short (Fowler claiming that it looked “close”).

Herbstreit thinking that was a Mensah fumble, when clearly his arm was moving forward with the ball still in his control.

And both Fowler/Herbstreit clearly rooting for Clemson to make it a close game.
Bof em are who they are and your last point may very well be true but I have sensed a more noticeable drop off in their quality of preparedness the past two years; was correlating that to ESPN starting to fly them same day from gameday morning to the destination of their call.

Can’t reference how long that has been occurring but current frequency is seemingly every week.

That is an additional grind and fatigue; but certainly picked up on the points you cited.
 
Ever thought that sometimes, your honest thoughts are irrational(We've all been there)? Shannon Dawson isn't a perfect playcaller, NO PLAYCALLER IS. Every playcaller in the history of the game has lulls, has calls that don't work out. That said, when you have an OC that CONSISTENTLY gets high end production, and elevates the QBs he works with, you have something.

The entire "Dawson is a problem" thing is a "The Canes are playing relatively well, I need someone to complain about and Shannon Dawson exists" thing. Of course dude does well with elite talent, few playcallers can consistently scheme around crappy talent. If you want to compete for titles, you need to have guys that can PLAY. What's funny is that people forget that between Jedd Fisch(Who this fanbase hated) and Shannon Dawson, there was a lot of dreck at the OC spot(With the exception of Lashlee, and this fanbase hated him too).

uhhhh, OK, not sure why that was a Dawson rant directed at me, I've generally been complimentary of him. But hey, go on with your bad self...
 
Hampton won some reps, Malachi won some reps. That's what happens when two high end players face each other. That said, Malachi was still able to make important catches, a true lockdown corner would have taken him completely away. Hampton is a very good corner.

Word. You had a guy who will be in the League next year guarding a guy who will be there in two. Both did their respective jobs. We should enjoy watching those high end match-ups.
 
I think Dawson is a solid OC, but it's telling he's never really been seriously considered for HC jobs.

He tends to completely lose the pulse of the game every week at some point in the middle of the game.

He's seriously, seriously benefitted from the talent Cristobal has acquired - it makes him look much more competent than he actually is.
he absolutely has been considered for HC jobs... maybe just not the ones he felt compelled to take yet
 
its interesting the reaction. I don't expect people to agree with anything I say. That's the way this thing works. But too many, well... some, think I have to say things that they agree with. Say whatever you want about me (and a lot is said, lol), I'm going to give you my honest thoughts at that time.
your x handle provides a lot for people to agree or disagree with daily. definitely not shy...
 
your x handle provides a lot for people to agree or disagree with daily. definitely not shy...
I've known K9, as much as you can know anyone through a message board and what he shares with us, for more than 30 years on social media and on twitter/x during for as long as I remember (the K9 tag is somewhat easy to remmber). We've never met in real life, but I have paid attention and know he's the same guy on twitter as here. He is more than capable of statingj his case, he isn't shy, he states his mind, I didn't see the Clemson game like he did but he likely saw a couple of red flag games like Louisville last year that I missed and it's all good. FWIW, I was more worried about Wake then I ever said publicly, and he was the rational mind on that one. Trust the man with the pedigree, he really has seen it all and, like any of us who've been around for 30-40 years he sees reasons to be cautious that many may miss because that's who we've been for a long time. But don't think for a second he isn't one of us who lives and dies with every rumor, snap of the ball, etc. Good dude, really good fan.
 
Toney was covered. JMO but we had a better receiving corp last year. We definitely have a better QB. Heatherman knows how to adjust. We swarm and wear you down.
Jesus h chrome, wtf lol
 
Back
Top