Some Questions

Consigliere

All-American
I’d like to know your thoughts about the questions below. Please answer them with a number and a name. After you answer all of them, you may explain.

1. How many total wins during the regular season (don’t include any ACCT or beyond)?

2. How many conference wins?

3. What position do we finish in the ACC?

4. Who will be the most improved player?

5. Which player is the key to the season?

————————-

Now you may explain.

Advertisement
I'm gonna skip numbers 1-3.

#4. Most Improved - Ebuka Izundu
#5. Key Player - Zach Johnson

#4. Big men who are recruited as "projects" often blossom as Seniors. Plus, saw enough improvement and impact from him last year to lead me to believe he may gain the consistency he has always lacked. As always, will need to control his fouls.

#5. This team needs more scoring and Zach should be just what the doctor ordered. If he doesn't give us 15 ppg or more, don't like our chances.

1. I don't know how many games we play, but the OOC schedule is an abomination, so we should win all of them, but we'll probably lose 1 somewhere along the way.
2. 10
3. 5th
4. Miller (low bar)
5. Zach

1. I don't know how many games we play, but the OOC schedule is an abomination, so we should win all of them, but we'll probably lose 1 somewhere along the way.
2. 10
3. 5th
4. Miller (low bar)
5. Zach

If you ONLY include the Wooden Classic as one game, then there are 10 non-conference games.

Advertisement
1) Counting the Wooden Classic as 1 game, I'm thinking we go 10-0 non-conference, plus 10 ACC regular season wins...20 total.
2) 10
3) 6th
4) Odd choice but I'm going w/Huellnandez
5) Zach Johnson

I think winning 20 is about right for this team. The non-con other than the Wooden Classic is pretty weak. At least in the Wooden Classic we have a chance to pick up wins over teams like Northwestern, and likely one of Seton Hall/Utah if we win through. If we can win the Wooden classic and get to 22 wins, that might be enough to get us in the tourney. 20 would be iffy because of the weak non-con, and we'd have to have some big wins over ACC teams to supplement that SoS/RPI.

10 ACC wins got 6th place last year, so I'm rolling with that being our spot.

Huellnandez will be most improved because I think he finally starts putting a full complement of offensive moves together. I've seen a bunch of footage with him working on his mid-range jumper and 3pt shooting, so if he can add some outside offense to his aresenal, he'll be even tougher to defend. Out of anyone on our roster, Dewan/Lykes/Johnson should be getting looks for all-ACC by the end of the season if all goes well. If Huellnandez wants a better draft spot, he'd better be "most improved".

I think Zach Johnson is going to be a force offensively even with the transition to the ACC, and he looks physical enough to be a defensive stopper as well. Just a really dynamic player, and I'm glad we'll have him this season.

20 wins

10 ACC

6th

Izundu

Mack

Losing Wilson was a big deal. Yes, ZJ will be a big player, but Mack needs to step up and fill the void in the back court. A 3 guard rotation of ZJ, CL and Wilson starting over DJ (still think DJ is best off the bench) would have been very good. Look for more games with Huell and Izundu on the court at the same time.

OOC is a laugher save SFA. We could actually lose that one.

20 wins

10 ACC

6th

Izundu

Mack

Losing Wilson was a big deal. Yes, ZJ will be a big player, but Mack needs to step up and fill the void in the back court. A 3 guard rotation of ZJ, CL and Wilson starting over DJ (still think DJ is best off the bench) would have been very good. Look for more games with Huell and Izundu on the court at the same time.

OOC is a laugher save SFA. We could actually lose that one.

In regards to Mack, do you think he will get more PT over DJ? I agree that DJ is best off the bench but I would be shocked if Mack got more PT over DJ. Ideally both are going to be coming off the bench, especially if the lineup is as follows:

PG: Lykes
SG: Johnson
SF: Amp
PF: The player formerly known as Huell
C: Izundu

As for SFA, I know that they made the tourney last year. They also made it 3 years straight with Underwood (he is long gone) before their current coach got there. They should win their conference again but given that the game is at home, we really should win that one.

If you look at just our OOC schedule and if you disregard the teams after our opening round game in the Wooden Classic (since we don't know who we will play), SFA probably has the best chance to make the NCAAT. They may be the best OOC opponent, which is awful.

Advertisement
In regards to Mack, do you think he will get more PT over DJ? I agree that DJ is best off the bench but I would be shocked if Mack got more PT over DJ. Ideally both are going to be coming off the bench, especially if the lineup is as follows:

PG: Lykes
SG: Johnson
SF: Amp
PF: The player formerly known as Huell
C: Izundu

As for SFA, I know that they made the tourney last year. They also made it 3 years straight with Underwood (he is long gone) before their current coach got there. They should win their conference again but given that the game is at home, we really should win that one.

If you look at just our OOC schedule and if you disregard the teams after our opening round game in the Wooden Classic (since we don't know who we will play), SFA probably has the best chance to make the NCAAT. They may be the best OOC opponent, which is awful.

Our guards are definitely smaller this year now with the loss of Wilson. Coach L loves his three (plus) guard lineups, so it will be interesting to see if and how he adjusts.

With Wilson gone, that's my preferred lineup as well unless Mack proves he can replace Wilson without any drop off. Wilson's size was really only matched by Mack. We'll have to see if Mack can score, especially in conference play.

DJ has been pretty much a one dimensional player (although he was actually driving to the basket a little last year) and every team needs a streaky 3 point scorer to provide a lift off the bench.

It would have been an interesting to see Mack and Wilson on the court together. But if Mack can replace Wilson effectively, our offensive options really open up.

SFA will come to play. Bogues, Harris and Holyfield are all back for them and our D better show up. Augustin vs Lykes should be fun to watch.

1. How many total wins during the regular season (don’t include any ACCT or beyond)? 19

2. How many conference wins? 9

3. What position do we finish in the ACC? 8th

4. Who will be the most improved player? Waardenburg

5. Which player is the key to the season? Lykes

I'm going to go with Waardenburg, but it might be DJ if his weight actually dropped from 203 to 184 like the roster says it did.

Last edited:
I think (and hope) Lykes is key, and 5th in ACC with 11 wins, 22 wins overall. Amp to be most improved.
edit... I was obvio drunk here

Last edited:
ACC Power Rankings are out per ESPN and we're #11.

11. Miami Hurricanes

After a 10-0 start to last season, the Hurricanes were inconsistent the rest of the way, going 12-10 after the hot start and bowing out in the first round of the NCAA tournament. Lonnie Walker and Bruce Brown both left early for the NBA, and Ja'Quan Newton also is gone. The development of Dewan Huellwill be key, as he has the ability to be an all-conference player. Chris Lykes is an exciting, aggressive point guard, and Jim Larranaga brought in Florida Gulf Coast grad transfer Zach Johnson for some veteran scoring punch.

-------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement
10-0 no less than 9-1
9 conference wins
8 place in ACC
Gonna go with Warrdenberg for most improved.
Lykes has got to be the man.

I think that Sam will be most improved but the potential for DJ to blow up this year is very real.

Advertisement
1. How many total wins during the regular season (don’t include any ACCT or beyond)? 19

2. How many conference wins? 9

3. What position do we finish in the ACC? 8th

4. Who will be the most improved player? Waardenburg

5. Which player is the key to the season? Lykes

I'm going to go with Waardenburg, but it might be DJ if his weight actually dropped from 203 to 184 like the roster says it did.

I’m just going to own worst preseason prediction saying Sam would be most improved. Yikes.

Sam is playing well today so far
It’s not so much today, as me watching his last drive to the basket and reflecting on his regression from the end of last season. I know part of it is that we’re asking him to do more, but he was more consistently able to make at least some positive contribution the last month or so of last year.

Advertisement
Back