Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vick was a qb out of era.

Back then HC's and OC's were stubbron and arrogant af in running their systems.

Nowaydays, it's almost a MUST you be able to adapt to your signal caller.

Imagine Vick with a guy like Klingsbury for example.
Right - Vick was ahead of the offensive systems at the time.

Advertisement
Advertisement
You’d think we’d fill our staff by then
You would think you would want your on field staffers here at least 2-4 weeks before Spring Practice commences so they can 1). Evaluate the current players at their position of responsibility 2). Contribute in practice planning / preparation 3). Provide some possible recruiting input to both PORTAL (for immediate needs) and 23 class candidate targets that they have personal relationships with. Plus ... I am bored stiff and need the stimulation.

Vick is like a burning star tho. That skill set isn't built for longevity. Gave the falcons what, 6 electric years. Passed over 20 tds only twice in his career. Granted, a true playmaker.

But Rivers gave 15 years of good football. Nearly double the good years Vick gave.

That should be a factor when picking one player to build around imo.
That burning star has a better chance at a SB IMO, but don’t disagree with your premise. Rivers is a safer choice.

Like I mentioned, during Rivers’ prime, the Chargers had probably the most talented team in the NFL which included two surefire HOFers on offense. They routinely choked early in the playoffs.

This is all hindsight 20/20, though

I honestly thought my Iggy take was a little hotter, but I’ve always been a huge fan of his as well as Griffey. Being a cardinals fan, I remember when rumors would swirl about Miggy coming to St. Louis due to his friendship with Pujols. Got my hopes crushed on that one.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Vick, in the right system, on a good team, and without the prison years, would have won at least one super bowl.

Prove me wrong.
Can't exactly prove or disprove this scenario, but I'll play.

The list of Super Bowl winning QBs since Vick was drafted in 2001:
  • Brad Johnson
  • Tom Brady
  • Ben Roethlisberger
  • Peyton Manning
  • Eli Manning
  • Drew Brees
  • Aaron Rodgers
  • Joe Flacco
  • Russell Wilson
  • Nick Foles
  • Patrick Mahomes
  • Matthew Stafford
And consider Matt Ryan and Jimmy Garoppolo could easily be on that list. What do they have in common? All pocket passers. Only Mahomes and Wilson are even remotely athletic, but are passers first. Lamar has yet to win a title, so can't really use him as an example. Same with Murray. Vick's downfall was always his lack of consistent passing ability. Regardless of system, if you can't dissect a defense (particularly in today's modern offenses), you still aren't going to win.

Advertisement
Can't exactly prove or disprove this scenario, but I'll play.

The list of Super Bowl winning QBs since Vick was drafted in 2001:
  • Brad Johnson
  • Tom Brady
  • Ben Roethlisberger
  • Peyton Manning
  • Eli Manning
  • Drew Brees
  • Aaron Rodgers
  • Joe Flacco
  • Russell Wilson
  • Nick Foles
  • Patrick Mahomes
  • Matthew Stafford
And consider Matt Ryan and Jimmy Garoppolo could easily be on that list. What do they have in common? All pocket passers. Only Mahomes and Wilson are even remotely athletic, but are passers first. Lamar has yet to win a title, so can't really use him as an example. Same with Murray. Vick's downfall was always his lack of consistent passing ability. Regardless of system, if you can't dissect an offense (particularly in today's modern offenses), you still aren't going to win.

agreed entirely. lamar jackson can't make championship throws consistently.

That burning star has a better chance at a SB IMO, but don’t disagree with your premise. Rivers is a safer choice.

Like I mentioned, during Rivers’ prime, the Chargers had probably the most talented team in the NFL which included two surefire HOFers on offense. They routinely choked early in the playoffs.

This is all hindsight 20/20, though

I honestly thought my Iggy take was a little hotter, but I’ve always been a huge fan of his as well as Griffey. Being a cardinals fan, I remember when rumors would swirl about Miggy coming to St. Louis due to his friendship with Pujols. Got my hopes crushed on that one.
Personally I pick Vick also. I was just surprised at the 100% votes against Rivers.

I pick Griffey also. But man, Miggy is a horse. And the younger version of him had a cannon arm. One of the best bats around.

But I get it, the board picked all of the flashier players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back