Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Gattis gets a HC opportunity in a couple years we will hire another elite OC.

Ponce is the QB coach. The end.

I know most of us have PTSD due to the last 20 years of being Canes fans. We have had the stress of do we have someone on staff to take over if we lose who we thought at the time was a valuable position coach or coordinator. Mainly because we had no faith we could hire another capable one. Those concerns were all legit. We couldn’t and almost always didn’t.

THINGS ARE DIFFERENT NOW

Advertisement
You beat top teams and win Championships with talent. Ohio State, and Clemson has both either made the playoffs, or won titles in the last 5-10 years, running similar style uptempo “spread” type offenses that used the QB legs as a weapon. Those offenses were similar in nature to what Ponce was doing at App. State. We’ve seen UGA, LSU, and Ala, use pro style offenses with some spread passing concepts sprinkled in there. The one thing that all those teams had in common was talent. Regardless of scheme, talent was the key to those teams, and the Championships they won. If we can figure out how to keep our talent home, we’ll be in that conversation. Mario is getting that done, now.
That goes without saying,of course u need talent but once u get there it comes down to coaching. You’re not walking into a game vs Nick saban,Kirby, or venables running that offense because now u have to coach because they have talent to match. If u think ponce offense is similar to theirs then u aren’t watching. Just sayin “Pro style” and “Spread Concepts” doesn’t make offenses similar.

Talent is gonna get u there but if the coaching isn’t on par u will lose.

When Gattis gets a HC opportunity in a couple years we will hire another elite OC.

I know most of us have PTSD due to the last 20 years of being Canes fans. We have had the stress of do we have someone on staff to take over if we lose who we thought at the time was a valuable position coach or coordinator. Mainly because we had no faith we could hire another capable one. Those concerns were all legit. We couldn’t and almost always didn’t.

THINGS ARE DIFFERENT NOW
Ponce is reportedly taking the qb position as well as passing game coordinator. Make of that what you wish. His total offense at App St. still was top 20 in the nation. Make that what you wish as well. Ultimately Mario will decide so you either trust his staff evals or you don't.

It will look better of course but why does that mean he should be our OC? Mark ritch and Enos offense probably looks better with TVD at QB instead of rosier and jarren so does that make them good? Im not saying his scheme is trash but if we’re trying to compete at a high level why would ponce even be in consideration for our OC? Im not even talking about his experience or anything im just talking about his scheme that **** not working against a top team bruh lol
Could you please elaborate as to why his scheme would not work?

Advertisement
On defense, Gaby says that Steele is likely to handle LBs and we're probably gonna get a defensive ends/pass rusher coach and a striker/nickel coach.

Very interestingly, he said that we looked in someone to be DE/pass rusher coach, which would have been a home run hire, but he was made the full time DC in response to our offer in order to keep him.

On defense, Gaby says that Steele is likely to handle LBs and we're probably gonna get a defensive ends/pass rusher coach and a striker/nickel coach.

Very interestingly, he said that we looked in someone to be DE/pass rusher coach, which would have been a home run hire, but he was made the full time DC in response to our offer in order to keep him.
Brian Williams from Maryland would be my guess for the DE/Edge coach. He was just promoted to DC there.

Advertisement

THINGS ARE DIFFERENT NOW
I'm not sure why it's so far fetched to think that Ponce, who was an OC as recently as last season, could be promoted to OC if/when Gattis leaves.

And in his presser, Steele said it hasn't been decided if he would handle another position or not

Now we wait to see what Gattis says about WR

BCEDA197-4843-4CAF-A64E-F867D730763B.jpeg

Advertisement
Advertisement
I was wondering the same thing. I believe that’s what the big boy programs do. The players are getting coached up all year. Somehow. Some grey area not technically violating any rules ****.
Let’s not forget Mat Drills of the past. Our coaches were running stations like this new vid with Mario’s staff. It’s allowed fellas.

That goes without saying,of course u need talent but once u get there it comes down to coaching. You’re not walking into a game vs Nick saban,Kirby, or venables running that offense because now u have to coach because they have talent to match. If u think ponce offense is similar to theirs then u aren’t watching. Just sayin “Pro style” and “Spread Concepts” doesn’t make offenses similar.

Talent is gonna get u there but if the coaching isn’t on par u will lose.
Let’s just agree to disagree. I’ve seen enough football in my life to know what I’m looking at. Yes, all spreads are not the same, but If you got talent, you can win with that scheme. The difference is having a QB that can make plays with his arm. Just look at the National Champions for the past 8 years. Different systems, yet all had talent and a QB that could make plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back