Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to understand your perspective here a little bit more:

We just hired a guy who was a Broyles award finalist in 2017 and semifinalist in 2019, and who fielded 4 top 10 defenses in the span of 5 years from 2016-2020....

But you think it's a trash hire because we potentially missed out on the co-defensive coordinator at Georgia who's never called plays before?

Classic Reaction GIF

A top flight d coordinator doesn't go to Maryland. Am i wrong in saying that?

Manny diaz had a top defense under richt. That doesnt mean ****.

Advertisement
Hires aren’t judged by who you missed out on. They’re judged on who you got.

Nobody else on the planet exists. Is Kevin Steele a good man to coach the defense here to a level that should be the standard? The answer is unequivocally “yes”. That’s all that matters.

Oh, and nobody really knows who we missed on either.
Yeah his logic is dumb to begin with.

It's like saying: Mario is a trash hire because he's not Saban.

Makes no ******* sense

Exactly all in the wording. When he says we he means the school and coaching staff. Now if a booster slipped a kid some money to attend Alabama nothing he can do about that

What makes it all the worse, is that his success at Alabama was completely contingent on benefits for players. Alabama built a system that was without peer.

Now that the landscape has changed and schools like TAMU are winning in the arms race, spoiled Nicky Saban is crying about it.

That guy, and his program, has been the enemy of everything that is enjoyable about college football. Even as I'm not a fan of NIL and the current environment, the fact that programs are able to out-Bama Alabama, does make me smile.

Advertisement
Could care less what happens today. Just give me more coaching hires to make up for Shemar dragging us along

Yeah his logic is dumb to begin with.

It's like saying: Mario is a trash hire because he's not Saban.

Makes no ******* sense

A top flight d coordinator doesn't go to Maryland. Am i wrong in saying that?

Manny diaz had a top defense under richt. That doesnt mean ****.
Yes you are wrong in saying that. The man took a job working with someone he had a close relationship with. He is 64yrs old and has made a ton of money already and didn't need a job. At this point, maybe he was just wanting to work some place/with someone he enjoyed. What makes you believe he hadn't been approached by other teams and he just flat out told them he had no interest?

If his last employer is the only metric you are using to judge this hire, I hope you don't make decisions for a living.

Yes you are wrong in saying that. The man took a job working with someone he had a close relationship with. He is 64yrs old and has made a ton of money already and didn't need a job. At this point, maybe he was just wanting to work some place/with someone he enjoyed. What makes you believe he hadn't been approached by other teams and he just flat out told them he had no interest?

If his last employer is the only metric you are using to judge this hire, I hope you don't make decisions for a living.
Lol so we hired a 64 year old that doesn't want to work at a top program.

Great hire!

Advertisement
Lol so we hired a 64 year old that doesn't want to work at a top program.

Great hire!

His last job was at Auburn. He worked there for 5 seasons. Overall, he had excellent defenses. 4 of the 5 years were exceptional, the last year wasn’t elite but wasn’t bad. That’s a program in the best division in the country, and he did an excellent job. What’s bad about hiring a man with that recent success at that program? I’m genuinely confused what you believe makes him a poor coach. His age? The fact that we “missed” on guys who you only heard about on CIS?

Have you dissected his scheme? Have you generated any statistical analysis comparing how his defenses performed against the averages of their opponents? Have you provided any film study showing where your concerns lie? Or it’s just he’s 63 and was about to work at Maryland that makes him unworthy?

His last job was at Auburn. He worked there for 5 seasons. Overall, he had excellent defenses. 4 of the 5 years were exceptional, the last year wasn’t elite but wasn’t bad. That’s a program in the best division in the country, and he did an excellent job. What’s bad about hiring a man with that recent success at that program? I’m genuinely confused what you believe makes him a poor coach. His age? The fact that we “missed” on guys who you only heard about on CIS?

Have you dissected his scheme? Have you generated any statistical analysis comparing how his defenses performed against the averages of their opponents? Have you provided any film study showing where your concerns lie? Or it’s just he’s 63 and was about to work at Maryland that makes him unworthy?

How was he at lsu? How about clemson?

Advertisement
What makes it all the worse, is that his success at Alabama was completely contingent on benefits for players. Alabama built a system that was without peer.

Now that the landscape has changed and schools like TAMU are winning in the arms race, spoiled Nicky Saban is crying about it.

That guy, and his program, has been the enemy of everything that is enjoyable about college football. Even as I'm not a fan of NIL and the current environment, the fact that programs are able to out-Bama Alabama, does make me smile.

Clemson's success was the only thing holding the current state of CFB together IMO, they were the little guy ironically. And they got lucky, with their program in a pivotal moment I don't think it's going to be easy to strike fire twice but we'll see.

Once it's Bamma, UGA, TAMU (Ohio State maybe) every year it's going to start getting ugly from a consumer perspective. Riley was smart to go to USC because it's path is much different, and now better positioned then OK competing with SEC favoritism and the money, especially for recruiting because distance will still win out with some recruits over slightly larger NIL.

Lane is right, that's not sustainable.

His last job was Maryland

Advertisement
How was he at lsu? How about clemson?

You’re going to judge him on what he did 15 years ago and not what he did 5 years ago?

Let’s take that approach then, I’m on board with you.

Were you a fan of Braxton Berrios at Miami? Got pretty pumped when he tore FSU a new stinkhole in 2017, I’ll bet. Me too.

Or wait. You missed those plays because you wrote him off when he couldn’t get on the field or catch the football in 2014.

See how little sense that makes? The dude JUST had good defenses. For years. But you’re wanting to focus on 2009? Things change. People change. Situations change. People adapt, they improve, they decline.

He’s 64. He isn’t s lifer. If he fails, It’s easy to get rid of him. If the Schumann stuff is true, then this is a good band aid gateway till maybe Schumann is ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back