Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Yeah, he’s been pretty good although he has had some misses. @Liberty City El detailed all of Mario’s coordinator hires and while he did well in a few choices, there were some head scratchers.

In theory I agree with you but hiring a new OC every 1-2 years is not sustainable imo. Besides, making good coordinator hires every 1-2 years is a high expectation.
Tell that to Saban
I know it's easy to point out what Alabama has been doing to be successful, but guess what? They are successful...they have set the bar at this point, and Mario doesn't have a Ship...
If he wants one, and he's a first year HC at Miami, it's not time to re-write the script.

@Lance Roffers , @Liberty City El , what OCs know how to use a RB correctly? I’ve been disappointed ever since Richt in how the RPO forces the RB to stay slow until the QB decide whether to keep or release the ball.

There has to be a better way. Guys like Thad should be running downhill hard when they hit the LOS. RPO takes all the force and momentum away.

Not saying chuck RPO, I want multiple. Thought Lashlee would be that guy but he wasn’t. He was very good, but not elite, IMO, because he didn’t always play to his players strengths.

It’s the zone blocking that does that.

Man blocking plays get downhill much faster. This is what Briles does with his man blocked RPOs from the veer.

That’s why D’eriq made so many bad reads. His previous training in veer made it difficult to be patient enough to run similar plays with zone schemes.

Go and watch Houston games from 2018. Briles had D’Eriq running veer option and rpo like lightning and the backs were flying on the handoff. The difference between that and what we do is stark.

I love zone blocking, but we have struggled opening holes with the double team and effectively climbing to the second level.

Advertisement
NFL OCs will become available in a few weeks, may want to hold on to see if any is worth the shot. If we're paying like the top dogs, plus TVD, I could see the appeal to somebody taking the job;
I think Mullen is a no brainer, but no idea if he would be interested. I will pass on Harrell

Advertisement
Joe Brady (free agent)
Kendal Briles (Arkansas)
Dan Mullen (free agent)
Graham Harrell (free agent)
Kevin Wilson (Ohio State)
Jeff Grimes (Baylor)
Warren Ruggiero (Wake Forest)

These dudes should get a call. Imo Mullens is the best candidate.

If we get Mullen I don’t want him running Van Dyke too much.

He is a big kid but not really the bruiser.

We should limit his runs to scrambles and the occasional option keep. No sense getting him beat up for nothing.

I predict this thread to reach 200 pages at least before vacancies are filled. Seriously doubt most are filled until after most bowl games are played and certain NFL teams are eliminated from play offs

I predict this thread to reach 200 pages at least before vacancies are filled. Seriously doubt most are filled until after most bowl games are played and certain NFL teams are eliminated from play offs
I hope not. Some of our fans will lose their minds if a hire isn't made within another week.

Last edited:
Yea I said that earlier. ESD is gonna go by before we know more. Only guys that are def going to be here so far are T-Rob, Mirabal, and McClendon especially with what Jacurri mentioned in the rivals article.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is generous, no? Bolden and Hall regressed under TRob. He moved on to Williams, Williams, and Kinchens, who played well for freshmen, but didn't necessarily outperform their expectations. Not saying he's a bad coach, but safeties were underwhelming if anything.
Bolden had been playing hurt and hall just didn’t live up to expectations. Young guys are talented yes but I think they might’ve been taking new coaching better than older guys that are set in their ways. I believe if the young studs weren’t coached up or you would’ve seen a lot more blown assignments IMO.

Let’s talk to who ever is Sean Payton’s newest under study.

ml9prcp9hteigefakptr

You can make that argument for any young coach. That’s how you make a resume. If he’s scared to make this type of jump and prove himself then he should stay and be satisfied just being a position coach.
Agreed on the same for all young coaches. I guess what I'm probably saying is that I'm not sure if this is the right place/time for a first time D Coordinator. He could be brilliant.. But he could also fail spectacularly. Not that my opinion matters, I'd prefer a proven DC, who has done more with less. Somebody that has experience, is confident in their process and systems, and won't need Mario to "help". I want Mario to focus on what he's good at and not have to feel like he has to get into the small details that the DC should have a full grasp on.. I'm not sure if he can do that with a first time DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back