Some interesting "official offers" went out today to non-UM commits...

Advertisement
Nah brah, it's not a binary situation, recruiting is fluid... it means that we are still interested and we are still recruiting them. It may mean we probably don't have room and we are recruiting them as a back up plan, or it may reveal the staff's thoughts on a kid over another kid. But it means that the staff hasn't moved on and isn't telling the kid to move on.

Put it this way, the amount of kids that got these are a LOT less than the amount of kids who have verbal Miami offers. Period.

It's just another thinning of the herd. Anyone who tells you differently is a foolish recruiting neophyte that is to be ignored.

Again, fair points.

I'm just trying to reconcile the "we're giving out official offers to guys we don't expect to say yes" with "we made some major money moves by NOT giving offers to 2 kids on our varbal list".

Let me see if I can put another spin on this. If MIAMI knows it is no longer taking Collins/Curtis, are we saying that today was a big surprise to those 2 guys? Because it seems like people have hinted that (at least with Collins) both sides are aware of the situation. And, if we have "allowed them to remain on the verbal list", it seems like that is to help them find a soft landing spot. So if we NOW are making it clear that some guys are no longer in the plans, it seems like that can undercut the "you're still on UM's list" attribute.

Think about job search. You're a more desirable candidate if you are currently employed. If a prospective employer knows you are not employed, it often changes the dynamic. That may sound harsh, I'm just trying to provide a real-world example.

Anyhow. IF IF IF Curtis is not in the future plans, that is new news and it seems to go counter to what a few people have said in the past. Unless all parties absolutely knew this was coming.

Exactly. We’ve been through this many times before. People making huge deals out of this are just attention seeking twits.

Right. And I'm not blaming people, per se, I'm just trying to put all the different viewpoints into some kind of perspective.

And separate from our fan-base, I'm just wondering why the NCAA, or even the individual schools, attach any significance to this day. It just seems like a think that has no true meaning, as kids have been committing for months/years already without an "official offer".

Strange, that's all. I could see how some get the wrong impression, I'm just trying to ask if there is some hidden nuance that I am overlooking, and that today really really is some sort of momentous day.

Advertisement
Again, fair points.

I'm just trying to reconcile the "we're giving out official offers to guys we don't expect to say yes" with "we made some major money moves by NOT giving offers to 2 kids on our varbal list".

Let me see if I can put another spin on this. If MIAMI knows it is no longer taking Collins/Curtis, are we saying that today was a big surprise to those 2 guys? Because it seems like people have hinted that (at least with Collins) both sides are aware of the situation. And, if we have "allowed them to remain on the verbal list", it seems like that is to help them find a soft landing spot. So if we NOW are making it clear that some guys are no longer in the plans, it seems like that can undercut the "you're still on UM's list" attribute.

Think about job search. You're a more desirable candidate if you are currently employed. If a prospective employer knows you are not employed, it often changes the dynamic. That may sound harsh, I'm just trying to provide a real-world example.

Anyhow. IF IF IF Curtis is not in the future plans, that is new news and it seems to go counter to what a few people have said in the past. Unless all parties absolutely knew this was coming.

Remember, the U will NEVER comment about a recruit publicly. They may drop social media hints, but that will ALWAYS be for positive situations.

If we are moving on from a kid, or trying to nudge him out with a position switch, drop him because he's looking around, you will not hear a peep from the U, per NCAA rules and our own compliance. The only place it will come from will be from the kid's side, or regrettably the rumor mill. We're happy to have a kid we push out "de-commit" from us optically, so we're not badmouthing a kid or burning bridges in the community.

How would Collins be surprised? The kid literally said that he hadn't heard from Miami in a long time. Tells you a lot. But not everything! Cause remember, that's just one side of the story. As for Curtis, I've no idea if he got one of these today. if he didn't, you can be assured that he knew about it well ahead of today. We don't sandbag HS kids who are standing tall.

Also, keep in mind when anyone tells you these are worthless, that today is the first day we even can send these by rule. As mentioned, it just another culling of the herd, and importantly, in a world where recruiters blow a lot of smoke up kids asses, does to some extend let kids know where they stand. They might not have a spot, but they are in the game, and being recruited if they get one of these.

Exactly. That’s what I thought. In fact…there is no such thing as a “commitable offer”, if I’m not mistaken. Only the LOI in December matters, right?

Nope. And that's absolutely silly. If a staff accepts your commitment, you are considered verbally committed. The staff will tweet coded messages (see literally 900 posts here TODAY about what Manny et al put up), the kid will get an edit, the kid will describe his conversation with the staff when he committed in interviews, etc. Kids who have "offers" try to commit all the time and are told they have to wait. You think the #6 CB on our board with an "offer" can jump on while we are waiting to see what our top targets are going to do? No. @Cribby or @Liberty City El described a few of these scenarios in the past. I forgot which. Every once in a while a kid "announces" without consulting the staff and it goes badly. Crickets, and he is told by a staff that they can't accept his offer. Makes for cringe-worthy theatre.

Now can crap go sideways between the public acceptance of an offer and LOI day? Sure. But if we ask a kid to commit and he does, or a kid calls up to commit and we accept his offer, it means both sides are in agreement that he is coming. A kid could de-commit or ghost us of course, but we have to be careful about doing damage in the community if WE want to drop him. If we drop a kid badly the HS coaches can hold it against us. ****, a UF commit flipped to TENN this year and UF did massive damage to their recruiting class just for COMMENTING about it on twitter with a little shade. It's a house of cards.

Which again, is why there is absolutely a difference between a loose verbal offer, and a real committable "we 100% want you, climb on board offer."

Last edited:
One thing yall have to keep in mind is that not every recruit is going to post their Officials today, most will, but some won't. Some kids will wait a few days, so before you jump out the window & read too much into who posted what, just remember just because a recruit didn't post his official offer on Twitter yet doesn't mean he doesn't have one.

You have to understand, we gotta do our due diligence & continue to recruit kids that may not be committed or that are committed to other schools just to be on the safe side. Yes, Manny wants the class wrapped up by the end of August right before the start of the season & it most likely will, but never forget crootin' is fluid & anything can happen, therefore you have to always have a backup plan just in case.

So of course we're gonna send out some Officials that would be head scratching at first look, but just keep in context it's more for insurance than anything.

Like Darrell Jackson for instance, as I posted in his thread last week, he recently reached out to Coach Stroud & was highly interested in joining the wave, we told him to wait a bit & that we'll see how things shake out, but he absolutely wanted to to flip, it's just that he doesn't have the greelight right now. But, depending on what happens with Collins he maybe could end up in this class down the stretch if there's still room.

That's what I mean by insurance.
**** I will take him over Collins. Can’t trust what Collins is going to do down the stretch. The interesting thing with Collins is that he is a super quiet kid so all of this wavering commitment stuff could be a bunch of nonsense.

Advertisement
I recently read he was under 200 lbs last year and then went on a growth spurt and is about 6-6 260 now.Tenn is quietly hoping nobody pays attention to him and they can steal him.This kid is going to be a monster DT in a couple years.
Yeah Darrell had a huge growth spurt, he was like 6'3 & right at 200lbs after his Sophomore year & then in one summer he just had a huge growth spurt & was at 6'5/6'6 240 his Junior year, but right now he's about 6'6 260+ & he has a huge muscular frame, not an ounce of fat on that kid.

He can play Strong Side DE or DT, Stroud likes him at DT.

Yeah Darrell had a huge growth spurt, he was like 6'3 & right at 200lbs after his Sophomore year & then in one summer he just had a huge growth spurt & was at 6'5/6'6 240 his Junior year, but right now he's about 6'6 260+ & he has a huge muscular frame, not an ounce of fat on that kid.

He can play Strong Side DE or DT, Stroud likes him at DT.

**** yea sign this ninja up immediatly! Miami gonna have a lot of talent at the dt position if they get guys like this. I like those young bloods blister and the other two. Stack that chit up.

20200801_204232.jpg

Advertisement
**** yea sign this ninja up immediatly! Miami gonna have a lot of talent at the dt position if they get guys like this. I like those young bloods blister and the other two. Stack that chit up.
I know this is obvious but if Miami really builds depth in the trenches, they can play with anybody and can truly be back. The skill positions have never been an issue.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back