Some defensive stats

Advertisement
There is a weakness in this defensive argument. Last year we had a top 10 SOS. Up to this point this year, we would be lucky if we are in the top 50, and that is with a weak offensive Florida team. Show me these defensive numbers again after our season is over and we have played FSU (possibly twice), VT, and whoever in our bowl.

you are aware that they have adjusted stats out there that you can use to determine the success of the team this year, instead of just saying we played more ranked teams last year so these stats are misleading. Pretty sure Miami is significantly better this year defensively using the adjusted stats.

Yep... For example onon Football Outsiders:
2013 DFEI is -.462, ranking #19 in country.
Last year our DFEI for the season was .320, #94 Ranked in country.

Much improved, and that takes strength of schedule into account.

"The Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI) considers each of the nearly 20,000 possessions every season in major college football. All drives are filtered to eliminate first-half clock-kills and end-of-game garbage drives and scores. A scoring rate analysis of the remaining possessions then determines the baseline possession efficiency expectations against which each team is measured. A team is rewarded for playing well against good teams, win or lose, and is punished more severely for playing poorly against bad teams than it is rewarded for playing well against bad teams."

There is a weakness in this defensive argument. Last year we had a top 10 SOS. Up to this point this year, we would be lucky if we are in the top 50, and that is with a weak offensive Florida team. Show me these defensive numbers again after our season is over and we have played FSU (possibly twice), VT, and whoever in our bowl.

you are aware that they have adjusted stats out there that you can use to determine the success of the team this year, instead of just saying we played more ranked teams last year so these stats are misleading. Pretty sure Miami is significantly better this year defensively using the adjusted stats.

I didnt say the defense didn't improve. I just don't think the improvement is as drastic as everyone is acting. We are still borderline between being average to above average I believe. We will find out a lot more this weekend, but I think people are so hyped up about our defense being top 20 ranked in many categories as the OP used it above, but people are ignoring the fact that we really haven't played anyone who should be able to put up big numbers on us at this point. You can skew numbers how you want, but that doesn't always make it true. Otherwise I can say North Carolina put up more yards, points, first downs, etc on us this year than they did last year. Everyone said before the game they were a significantly worse offensive team without Gio Bernard. TOP was roughly the same.

Actually UNC constantly went up and down the field last year, but screwed up in the red zone. I think they had close to 600 yards of offense.

We gave up 200+ yards rushing to Bethune Cookman and let Chase Rettig throw for 4 bills.

The defense is significantly better. It's not great, but it's clearly taken a step forward.

We have 5 games left and only one of those teams is an explosive offense. I don't expect some precipitous drop-off.

I didnt say the defense didn't improve. I just don't think the improvement is as drastic as everyone is acting. We are still borderline between being average to above average I believe. We will find out a lot more this weekend, but I think people are so hyped up about our defense being top 20 ranked in many categories as the OP used it above, but people are ignoring the fact that we really haven't played anyone who should be able to put up big numbers on us at this point. You can skew numbers how you want, but that doesn't always make it true. Otherwise I can say North Carolina put up more yards, points, first downs, etc on us this year than they did last year. Everyone said before the game they were a significantly worse offensive team without Gio Bernard. TOP was roughly the same.

Actually UNC constantly went up and down the field last year, but screwed up in the red zone. I think they had close to 600 yards of offense.

We gave up 200+ yards rushing to Bethune Cookman and let Chase Rettig throw for 4 bills.

The defense is significantly better. It's not great, but it's clearly taken a step forward.

We have 5 games left and only one of those teams is an explosive offense. I don't expect some precipitous drop-off.

Thank you, you made my point for me. UNC went up and down the field last year. Their offense is supposed to be better last year and our defense better this year, yet they had 486 total yards last year vs 500 this year. If their O went down and our D went up as much as people are claiming, then it should not be the case.

Now I know its a game by game basis, but I'm just saying, the numbers can be spun in a lot of ways to make your case. I agree when you say the defense is better, even to the point of saying a lot better. I think we are highly capable of stopping the run this year which was our biggest issue last year. The problem is I still think our pass defense is weak and we have not played a good offense yet. The only 2 teams we've played that can pass (UNC and WF) pretty much did what they want in the passing game and they aren't that great.

Advertisement

"The Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI) considers each of the nearly 20,000 possessions every season in major college football. All drives are filtered to eliminate first-half clock-kills and end-of-game garbage drives and scores. A scoring rate analysis of the remaining possessions then determines the baseline possession efficiency expectations against which each team is measured. A team is rewarded for playing well against good teams, win or lose, and is punished more severely for playing poorly against bad teams than it is rewarded for playing well against bad teams."

I will respectfully say I don't buy it. If you remember, check these numbers again at the end of the season and see if we are still even in the top 25, maybe even 30. The problem is 1. we have not played anyone with a good offense. Most of us know this is the weakest schedule we've had in awhile. I don't see how our efficiency is that good either with as many yards we've given up. I think the fact that we've been able to create turnovers and get red zone stops are the biggest factor.

2. I will say our run defense has significantly improved and we have played mostly running teams this year, but the reason I say our defense as a whole is not significantly improved is because of our pass defense. The only teams we have played that had even a pulse on passing both moved the ball how they wanted and got big leads on us, but luckily we recovered in both and made good adjustments in the 2nd half. If we played more teams that could pass good, but weren't great teams, that efficiency rating would take a big hit. I'm not saying we haven't improved in pass defense, I just think its a bigger potential hole than most realize.

I will respectfully say I don't buy it. If you remember, check these numbers again at the end of the season and see if we are still even in the top 25, maybe even 30. The problem is 1. we have not played anyone with a good offense. Most of us know this is the weakest schedule we've had in awhile. I don't see how our efficiency is that good either with as many yards we've given up. I think the fact that we've been able to create turnovers and get red zone stops are the biggest factor.

2. I will say our run defense has significantly improved and we have played mostly running teams this year, but the reason I say our defense as a whole is not significantly improved is because of our pass defense. The only teams we have played that had even a pulse on passing both moved the ball how they wanted and got big leads on us, but luckily we recovered in both and made good adjustments in the 2nd half. If we played more teams that could pass good, but weren't great teams, that efficiency rating would take a big hit. I'm not saying we haven't improved in pass defense, I just think its a bigger potential hole than most realize.

smh

Thank you, you made my point for me. UNC went up and down the field last year. Their offense is supposed to be better last year and our defense better this year, yet they had 486 total yards last year vs 500 this year. If their O went down and our D went up as much as people are claiming, then it should not be the case.

Now I know its a game by game basis, but I'm just saying, the numbers can be spun in a lot of ways to make your case. I agree when you say the defense is better, even to the point of saying a lot better. I think we are highly capable of stopping the run this year which was our biggest issue last year. The problem is I still think our pass defense is weak and we have not played a good offense yet. The only 2 teams we've played that can pass (UNC and WF) pretty much did what they want in the passing game and they aren't that great.

How are the numbers being spun?

The numbers are markedly better across the board.

Borderline average to above average? You realize that the same could be said for FSU, right? Defensive stats between the two are near mirror images. Throw out the Clemson and UF games for comparisons sake and who the **** Have they really played? Somehow everyone is buying into this meme that they are the real deal and we are untested.

A win is a win and we've been getting the stops needed to do it. On the other side, while they are airing it out and we are grinding it out = they win the beauty pageant that is CFB. I get it.

But for even our own fans to be buying into this BS? That's soft.

Advertisement

Borderline average to above average? You realize that the same could be said for FSU, right? Defensive stats between the two are near mirror images. Throw out the Clemson and UF games for comparisons sake and who the **** Have they really played? Somehow everyone is buying into this meme that they are the real deal and we are untested.

A win is a win and we've been getting the stops needed to do it. On the other side, while they are airing it out and we are grinding it out = they win the beauty pageant that is CFB. I get it.

But for even our own fans to be buying into this BS? That's soft.

Well considering I wasn't talking about FSU at all not sure why you brought this up. We played a bunch of scrubs this season who don't move the ball well and with exception of Wake and UNC, none have any kind of passing game. UNC and Wake carved us up in the passing game. UNC put up almost 400 passing yards. Wake Forest got 302 passing yards. Even the gators passed for 291. These aren't even good teams. Our run defense is solid this year, but our pass defense is average to above average at best. Guess what, FSU is not going to run all game against us, and they are capable of passing. Luckily for us, other than FSU and maybe Duke we don't play any good passing teams.

Like i said, the defense is not bad. We'll probably finish somewhere in the high 30's to 40's in defense efficiency rating that was posted (I would call that above average), but doubt we finish in the top 20. Also, I still agree that a win is a win, and I'll gladly take wins over great defensive numbers.

If you can't see the difference between last year and this year:ohlord:

No one is saying our defense is amazing this year, but our defense was one of the worst in the history of college football last year (I'm not exaggerating). This year they're ranked in the Top 20 in most categories, and even if they slide down after playing better competition, will still be a top 40 defense, which is amazing improvement from 115 or wherever we were last season.

Last edited:
If you can't see the difference between last year and this year:ohlord:

No one is saying our defense is amazing this year, but our defense was one of the worst in the history of college football last year (I'm not exaggerating). This year they're ranked in the Top 20 in most categories, and even if they slide down after playing better competition, will still be a top 40 defense, which is amazing improvement from 115 or wherever we were last season.

Top 40 is above average which I said (if you consider there are about 120 teams in D-1 FBS, 60 would be average). I've said there is big improvement. The issue is that there are many on this board who seem to think the defense is lights out and playing great (I did not say all). Many would call this a very good defense. I dont think it is very good. I think our run defense has gotten solid and would consider it a top 25 run defense. I just dont think our pass defense is there yet.

Advertisement
Back