Some COVID-19 College Football News Worth Reading - 5/22/20

PBJFanatic

Sophomore
Sports programs are starting to fall like dominoes as college athletics departments face unprecedented financial challenges during the coronavirus pandemic.
Link: https://www.mycentraljersey.com/sto...ndemic-excuse-cut-sports-programs/5225835002/

The NCAA Division I Council on Wednesday voted to allow athletes in football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball to resume voluntary on-campus workouts, beginning June 1.
Link: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...basketball-team-activities-resume/5231877002/

From postponements to cancellations, the coronavirus pandemic has thrown the sports landscape out of whack, and it isn't just sports that were in session. The current NCAA restrictions have left college coaches, both new and old, and recruits in limbo, but they're finding new ways to manage during the world crisis.
Link: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ll-recruiting-challenges-coronavirus-pandemic

College Football Leaders Preparing for Six-Week Preseason Plan, What This Means for LSU Football
Link: https://www.si.com/college/lsu/football/six-week-preseason-plan-college-football

Advertisement
I like shorten coaching exposure to players. Other schools have good coaches who developed players and enhance their performance and value. Our staffs seem to have the opposite effect. If all the players only got touched by coaches the day before first game and only one day a week afterward,
it would help level the playing field for us. Call me cynical, but I see our coaching as not just bad but making players worse with each day.

Advertisement
Really Bro?

Yes, that’s what the first article goes into detail about and I agree 100%. While I know that athletic departments are definitely going to take a hit for this, I believe that it’s also a convenient reason for departments to cut sports that don’t make money

So get rid of everything except football and some a few basketball programs?

That’s not what I meant, I was saying that it’s a convenient reason for athletic departments to get rid of whatever sports they so choose that are losing money to operate

This entire issue will finally force schools to re-evaluate athletic spending, and that is a long overdue. The facilities for athletes only, the salaries of the coaches, the size of the staffs, are all grossly inflated. Maybe this pandemic will remind schools and the entire country about what really matters. I love sports, but the amount of money many schools spend on their athletic programs is obscene and out of touch with how the rest of the campus exists.
I know the counter argument is that sports raise revenue and profile, and that is valid. But when budget shortfalls occur at Clemson and Alabama, I hope someone has enough sanity to question the athletic expenses.

Advertisement
This entire issue will finally force schools to re-evaluate athletic spending, and that is a long overdue. The facilities for athletes only, the salaries of the coaches, the size of the staffs, are all grossly inflated. Maybe this pandemic will remind schools and the entire country about what really matters. I love sports, but the amount of money many schools spend on their athletic programs is obscene and out of touch with how the rest of the campus exists.
I know the counter argument is that sports raise revenue and profile, and that is valid. But when budget shortfalls occur at Clemson and Alabama, I hope someone has enough sanity to question the athletic expenses.
Yeah. Alabama and ole miss are just gonna shut down all that sht down. So is Tennessee.
No way. That’s jobs and revenue to those towns.

I like shorten coaching exposure to players. Other schools have good coaches who developed players and enhance their performance and value. Our staffs seem to have the opposite effect. If all the players only got touched by coaches the day before first game and only one day a week afterward,
it would help level the playing field for us. Call me cynical, but I see our coaching as not just bad but making players worse with each day.
It will also help even more if we have more talent than we have had the last 10 years. The NFL Draft doesnt lie

I agree. Salaries for coaches and administrators have gotten out of hand.

Advertisement
That’s not what I meant, I was saying that it’s a convenient reason for athletic departments to get rid of whatever sports they so choose that are losing money to operate

good luck doing that and still meeting Title IX requirements.

let me know how that works out.

:eczk8maixn847u2tx5.jpg:

Attachments

• C301C648-033F-411A-B2D2-96544FC2933D.png
    C301C648-033F-411A-B2D2-96544FC2933D.png
    349.8 KB · Views: 15
From the first article

yep.

which means, they're not trimming money losing sports, they're trimming "Men's" money losing sports.

i'm absolutely for gender equity, but with football counting 100% in the statute, and no equivalent women's sport to offset, it really throws the whole thing out of kilter.

Advertisement
Well, this is where we're at in SEC SEC SEC land

Attachments

• 100057616_1525115574317974_1110454573086015488_n.jpg
    100057616_1525115574317974_1110454573086015488_n.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 4
Yeah. Alabama and ole miss are just gonna shut down all that sht down. So is Tennessee.
No way. That’s jobs and revenue to those towns.
It’s not about shutting down the programs. That’s the problem with so much Covid discussion. So many people act as though It is either all or nothing. For as much money as you believe college football generates, schools also have very high expenses, and the margins are much thinner than you can imagine. Basketball and football literally pay for entire athletic department. As such, if revenue in revenue sports drops by even 5%, that is a major impact on a budget.
The same is true of the airline industry, restaurant industry and many others, including college sports. So when athletics don‘t generate their usual revenue, and they won’t because stadiums and arenas will not be full, that shortfall in revenue will be met with A reduction in the athletic budget. So that means either reducing sports as many MAC schools have already done, or reducing the salaries of coaches and other personally, like Rutgers which cut coaches pay.
another potential budgetary consequence is that the university May have to Supplement the athletic department. But this action gives the academics more control over the otherwise independent athletic department. And don’t forget that academic revenue will also drop as international students don’t attend in typical numbers for a few years.
So don’t think for a second that athletic budgets, including salaries and number of assistantax, and other things, will not feel the Covid impact.
Remember always that 5% is a bid deal in large, marginally thin business.

Schools would love to get rid of sports that are financial drains. This unfortunately gives them a convenient excuse.

Love watching bull dyke lesbians in skorts beat each other with sticks in field jockey.

Catch the Action!

Advertisement
Back