Some Comfort About DB's

Rumph On younger members of the team who are standing out…
“Jaquan Johnson, Sheldrick Redwine and Michael Jackson. They’re very athletic younger guys, and they can definitely play for us this year. Sheldrick has a nice size and he’s not scared to tackle. He’s very athletic to be that big and that size. He has really good man to man coverage technique and he can really help us a lot.”

Advertisement
also talk about adding juco or transfer this fall....
and could that be

JCJ

Last edited:
Still need a transfer for depth concerns

Last edited:
Of course they can play for us this year as there isn't the necessary depth to do otherwise.

In 2011, Texas had the 34th ranked pass defense with a true freshman and sophmore (that had no experience) at CB. I'd take that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If our front 7 can get the pressure they're capable of then that should take a lot of pressure off of our secondary...its pretty easy to cover a guy for 3-5 seconds instead of 5-7

3 to 5 seconds, NFL teams don't even average anything close to that in coverage. Teams we faced last year had a long time to work with, but nowhere near 5 to 7 seconds.

I wont believe they are ballers until I see them in action. As we have all painfully learned over the past decade...talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words.

Advertisement
they have stated that redwine has look very good. fast quick to ball. elder we know we can trust at cb. rumph wants Johnson at cb cause of his athleticism but says is learning d as a safety right now. I think give the kids a shot see what can do at worst it adds experience so they are better next year.

I know the past, Goldofrito Era, still haunts us, but they just had it all wrong in so many ways an still won and we're competitive in all but 2 games. Although we lack depth at DB, we do have very capable talent to start and play well. Given a good nickle back, a big DB in Jackson, J. Johnson to spell a CB on a couple series and most importantly front four pressure, I think we'll be ok till we build outstanding depth in the next two classes.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back