soldinger speaks on state of program

Advertisement
Golden is enamored with "process" and book learning. He has no clue how to motivate or execute when the lights go on. He should be a consultant for a widget factory.

“I don’t see that coming out of those guys. So you’ve got to talk about that. You’ve got to – heck, we brought in a sports psychologist [under Butch Davis]. He helped immensely. He helped coaches, players, everybody. What’s wrong with that? I know for me, my ego ain’t that big. I see certain things and if you can help me, help me. If a kid can talk to me, tell me, man. Talk to me.

I can almost bet that's a shot at Folden

Doubt it:

“Somebody asked me what do you think’s happening over there? I don’t think anybody can, because you’re not in the inside. All you hear is hearsay. I happen to like Al Golden. I think he’s a sharp young guy. I think he’s very organized. But if I were to say something to him – just because the years I’ve been around, I’ve been around since ’68, a long, long time – I would tell any of those guys it’s not about the Xs and Os, it’s not about all the organizational things. It’s about people. How to get people to become the best they can become and play the hardest they can play. That’s what it’s about.

Then who in the **** is responsible for getting people to become the best they can become and play the hardest they can play?

“I don’t see that coming out of those guys. So you’ve got to talk about that. You’ve got to – heck, we brought in a sports psychologist [under Butch Davis]. He helped immensely. He helped coaches, players, everybody. What’s wrong with that? I know for me, my ego ain’t that big. I see certain things and if you can help me, help me. If a kid can talk to me, tell me, man. Talk to me.

Almost but not quite?

Advertisement
Primadonna's. Stay at your school, even if they were 2-8 last year. Losing builds character. There is no easy way out to be a winner. Just because you transfer from Edison to BTW and win a state championship doesn't me you're a winner. It means that the school and team your chose to transfer to is a winner. Your just along for the ride.

So you're okay with the six games we lost last year -- because it builds character??? Or in the words of the coach you love to hate -- It's a process! LMAO

I ***** about this all the time. I think people think it's mostly because I'm from Texas, but it's really not. I hate the attitude this kind of environment breeds. Mercenary regional all-star teams aren't high school football, and it just makes easier targets for the pimps of the world. It also fosters the easy-way-out mentality where you just go to the winner instead of trying to build one which transitions nicely into their signing day decisions. Al Golden's our program's biggest problem by miles and miles, but this is a really tough issue for UM football too, IMO - at least until we're a top dog again.

What Soldinger was talking about is nothing new, kids jumping from HS to HS has been going on since I was in HS (Central) in the early 90s. Now I don't know what the school zones are like now, but once you got to 95th St. & below, the school zones were pretty liberal, it was pretty much a free-for-all. Kids either want to play for a winner...or where they'll get exposure...or both.

Exactly this has been going on for the longest... When we were winning it was prevalent in the area... Too be fair, it's an issue in every sport in every location...

Primadonna's. Stay at your school, even if they were 2-8 last year. Losing builds character. There is no easy way out to be a winner. Just because you transfer from Edison to BTW and win a state championship doesn't me you're a winner. It means that the school and team your chose to transfer to is a winner. Your just along for the ride.

So you're okay with the six games we lost last year -- because it builds character??? Or in the words of the coach you love to hate -- It's a process! LMAO

I agree with ArizonaCane in regards to the serial transferers like Clarington...but if a kid & His parents/guardians don't like their current situation, then there's nothing wrong with exploring other options. As long as they don't sacrifice academics, I'm cool with it.

You know who hired Kevin Elko to come talk to his team and then come back once a week for the rest of the season in 2013? Jimbo Fisher

You know who told Jimbo to hire Kevin Elko to come talk to his team to get them over the hump? Nick Saban

You know the sports psychologist that Solly is talking about that Butch Davis hired? Kevin Elko

See a pattern???

Advertisement

You know who hired Kevin Elko to come talk to his team and then come back once a week for the rest of the season in 2013? Jimbo Fisher

You know who told Jimbo to hire Kevin Elko to come talk to his team to get them over the hump? Nick Saban

You know the sports psychologist that Solly is talking about that Butch Davis hired? Kevin Elko

See a pattern???

Butch is way ahead of his time. Best college coach available.

he never said al was a good coach

Solly is not a fan of Golden's. Soldinger doesn't want to publicly bash Golden, but he understands better than anyone that Golden's philosophy & leadership skills are a bad fit at UM.

And I don't care if Soldinger is 80 years old, the guy is a fantastic coach - one of the best in all of college football. Shannon and Golden were/are fools to not retain him on their staffs.

was just talking to [UM Sports Hall of Fame offensive lineman] RichieMercier’s mother and dad and they were saying, ‘You guys loved the kids. It was very obvious.’ We went through some hard times, with winning and losing, but we believed in each other. We always believed in each other.”
One problem is the same can't be said about golden.

Everything trickles down from the top. Fundamental problems such as mentioned in the article are clearly coach related. Butch instilled the culture soldinger is talking about. Make golden HC of those late 90s/00s teams and that mindset and team camaraderie does not exist.

Player's loyalty & character derive from their HC.

Even when things weren't going well in the height of the probation era, Butch Davis never threw his players under the bus. Butch's young players had a tremendous amount of loyalty toward the coaching staff, and they played hard for Miami during our return to glory.

When I see Golden & D'Onofrio repeatedly throw players under the bus to cover up for their own deficiencies, it greatly diminishes the bond between player and coach. And that's what Solly is talking about - the team doesn't have the unity and fire that they did from the '80s through early 00s.

Advertisement
“I think they’ve got good athletes,” he said. “I think it’s a little bit of what’s going on in the high school community now. My wife teaches part-time at Southridge right now. [Three-time state champion coach] Billy Rolle just got the job down there – now you’ve got kids transferring in from all over the place. We never had that. I wanted community kids. I never wanted kids from other communities coming in. That’s kind of par for the course now. They don’t like what’s going on at their school, they’ll find another situation. I’m big on loyalty. I’m big on the character things. I can see that in the work ethic, character. To turn it around … these kids were like infants raised in that system. So if kids don’t go well for them, they ***** and moan. Stop *****ing and moaning.”

I ***** about this all the time. I think people think it's mostly because I'm from Texas, but it's really not. I hate the attitude this kind of environment breeds. Mercenary regional all-star teams aren't high school football, and it just makes easier targets for the pimps of the world. It also fosters the easy-way-out mentality where you just go to the winner instead of trying to build one which transitions nicely into their signing day decisions. Al Golden's our program's biggest problem by miles and miles, but this is a really tough issue for UM football too, IMO - at least until we're a top dog again.

i kind of had that deal in high school of recruitment...and looking back at it it probably would of ended up in a better situation for me. had i transferred out..I still ended up signing to a div 1-aa program and had div 1 offers...but i had the loyal thing and stayed at my high school. I had the opportunity to go to chaminade and play with jon beason, glen cook, and company or attend Miami Pace with Lavon Ponder, Willie Williams and company. It just didnt sit well with me as the year before my team was highly competitive and a playoff team. Just couldnt pull the trigger with the easy way out thing.......MAJORITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA is easy way out htinkers isall we have....and it STARTS from these kids are in PEE WEE Leagues, they switch parks every **** year....and it transitions to high school, and even their high school recruitment as south florida kids are front runners and just ride the wave.....**** if north dakota state becomes div 1 and starts putting in work...you will see a high group of s.fla kids leaning to them.lol...

We have kids down here crediting oregon, and likely have not watched a full oregon football game on tv or know where in the united states the school is located.

We just got to WIN, get this current coaching staff out of here and begin to just win games and we'll be back on track.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back