Softball?

"More women's sports" is not the issue. The number of scholarships IS the issue. And there is no women's sport equivalent for football (85 scholarships).

As for the difference between "head count" scholarship sports (football, basketball) and "equivalency" scholarship sports (everything else), that is a separate issue.

We just need honest debate, and no "blaming" of Title IX based on a misleading comparison of "number of women's sports" instead of number of women's SCHOLARSHIPS.

And for the record, Dave Maggard got rid of the men's swimming team (not the diving team) in the 1990s. So, again, accuracy.

View attachment 183105
I'm aware of the head count issue. All I'm saying is I don't like it. Kinda crazy that a third string punter gets a full ride and a potential 1st round draft pick in baseball gets a fractional scholarship.

Advertisement
I'm aware of the head count issue. All I'm saying is I don't like it. Kinda crazy that a third string punter gets a full ride and a potential 1st round draft pick in baseball gets a fractional scholarship.

OK, well that I can agree with, though I'm not sure we've ever given a THIRD string punter a full ride. SECOND string, maybe...

But I've made a bunch of posts stating my opinion that all sports, and AT LEAST baseball, should be "head-count" scholarship sports, not equivalency. But the biggest impediment seems to be the NCAA trying to be "fair" to all schools, since not all Division I programs even have enough money to fund all of the MAX number of equivalency scholarships:

1650656541044.png

In other words, while I'd love to see every school give out a head-count full scholarship to every athlete, we [Division I overall, not Miami specifically] can't even get all of the "lesser" sports funded to the point they can give out the max number of PARTIAL scholarships.

Sad. But reality.

Last edited:
11.7 for baseball. Softball rosters are around 21 so the 12 goes a longer way.

And it just got worse. 11.7 equivalency scholarships for (up to) 32 PLAYERS.

"For '22, the roster limit is set at 40, the number of players on scholarship is up from 27 to 32 and there is no 25 percent scholarship minimum." Feb 4, 2022

Advertisement
It's a problem with the way the NCAA set the rules for baseball scholarships. Really sucks as baseball is a popular sport and more teams are on tv than football. With ESPN+ you can watch any D-1 team.

I'd like to see more money spread to sports other than football and basketball. Yes, they are the money makers, but they also spend excessively.

Advertisement
Back