sofla free agency thread

Aquinas has been stealing the best players for decades. It didn’t start with Roger Harriot. They were doing it when I was in school and I graduated 25 years ago. Back then it was just STA and Cardinal Gibbons. Now you’ve got Heritage doing it too. They’re not just offering kids from bad teams a chance to showcase their skill. They literally steal kids from playoff teams at positions they don’t even need. They just want to hoard talent even if it means they’re costing a kid a possible scholarship because he’s buried on their bench
Thats my only problem...at times they just take kids cause they can.

Kids are splitting time or not even seeing the field there..but they get a nice state ring and parents can brag their son is at sta, ah or whatever.

Its the sole reason why the private school rose in Broward. I was in high school in early 2000s and even then the broward public schools had parity and talent all over the place. Now we have schools that go like 5 years without a div 1 player signing. The middle of the road schools like mines put guys into the nfl. Its no luck for the Pipers, Boyd Anderson, South Plantation, Nova's, Coral Springs,Taravella, Monarchs of the world.

The privates like stated are taking from PLAYOFF TEAMS. STA may have like 5 div 1 lb prospects on roster...hence one of their lbs who already was a AH player likely transferred back there. Bring a little p[arity back is why im not mad at DILLARD. Go back n fight for your area and they have an built back a program., Stranahan got built somewhat an are turning kids to div 1 even though they are a middling program.

Advertisement
Thats my only problem...at times they just take kids cause they can.

Kids are splitting time or not even seeing the field there..but they get a nice state ring and parents can brag their son is at sta, ah or whatever.

Its the sole reason why the private school rose in Broward. I was in high school in early 2000s and even then the broward public schools had parity and talent all over the place. Now we have schools that go like 5 years without a div 1 player signing. The middle of the road schools like mines put guys into the nfl. Its no luck for the Pipers, Boyd Anderson, South Plantation, Nova's, Coral Springs,Taravella, Monarchs of the world.

The privates like stated are taking from PLAYOFF TEAMS. STA may have like 5 div 1 lb prospects on roster...hence one of their lbs who already was a AH player likely transferred back there. Bring a little p[arity back is why im not mad at DILLARD. Go back n fight for your area and they have an built back a program., Stranahan got built somewhat an are turning kids to div 1 even though they are a middling program.
There was a kid at Plantation a few years back who was getting some FCS and G5 looks as a tight end. Don't remember his name. Kid was solid, just didn't have the prototypical size/athletic ability. The coaches at Heritage convinced him to transfer and he spent the next season as a reserve tight end who was only used as a blocker in short yardage. This is the type of hoarding that goes on at the private schools. They steal productive kids from solid programs and stash them on the bench. I guess it's the kids' ultimate decision to transfer but we're talking about 16 year old kids. They'll believe anything a coach tells them and half the time, the parents do too.

I think a lot of the public schools started to develop a reputation for being unsafe and generally, just bad schools so parents would jump at the opportunity to send their kid to private school at a reduced tuition. In fairness a lot of the public powerhouses are in pretty rough neighborhoods so I can understand a parent maybe wanting their kid to go to school with rich kids.

There was a kid at Plantation a few years back who was getting some FCS and G5 looks as a tight end. Don't remember his name. Kid was solid, just didn't have the prototypical size/athletic ability. The coaches at Heritage convinced him to transfer and he spent the next season as a reserve tight end who was only used as a blocker in short yardage. This is the type of hoarding that goes on at the private schools. They steal productive kids from solid programs and stash them on the bench. I guess it's the kids' ultimate decision to transfer but we're talking about 16 year old kids. They'll believe anything a coach tells them and half the time, the parents do too.

I think a lot of the public schools started to develop a reputation for being unsafe and generally, just bad schools so parents would jump at the opportunity to send their kid to private school at a reduced tuition. In fairness a lot of the public powerhouses are in pretty rough neighborhoods so I can understand a parent maybe wanting their kid to go to school with rich kids.
Robzel Sylvester.
Think he went juco.
My relative was on the AH team.

The bolded makes NOOOO sense....and ive been stating it since i was in high school. My best friends in my neighborhood were island kids like me (Jamaican/Trinidad). Island parents predominantly PREFER private school as its a status symbol in their country. We were in south broward...not in a HOOD (Miramar) But my friends in the neighborhood went to PRIVATE SCHOOL their...ENTIRE LIFE. Which made no sense to me seeing as they would come right home EVERYDAY to chill with me...(who couldve went to private school if wanted to) and the rest of my public school friends. lol
My friends all played sports at Miami Pace and other private school powerhouse types (chaminade/ah/hollywood christian). They skipped school more than either of us, and imma be honest the private school girls were the easiest ever. I cant tell how much or how easy it was...**** its how i got cool with Willie Williams lmaoo

The private schools in south florida shoot that line though, they also show they have more help from their administration to sports whereas alot of the public school admins could care less about sports save for a few power house schools. They have booster clubs with rich donors and schools like AH make the parents hold jobs to pay tuition stuff like collecting tickets/ parking/cleaning classrooms etc.

Unless it's changed a lot in the last few years, isn't STA in a not so well-to-do neighborhood? Same with Pace. And like @gogeta4 said, if you're going home to a rough neighborhood anyways, I don't get what advantage there is. And gogeta is also spot on about private school being a status symbol in Caribbean communities. When I moved back down to South FL after living in NY for a couple years, I moved in with my grandparents, who moved from Lauderhill to Davie. They wanted to send me to Archbishop McCarthy. Only different it woulda made was wearing a uniform every day lol.

Idk, this is a very nuanced subject, but the main point of this is, I can't stand STA because they kept Western from being even better than they could have been in the late 2000s early 10s

Unless it's changed a lot in the last few years, isn't STA in a not so well-to-do neighborhood? Same with Pace. And like @gogeta4 said, if you're going home to a rough neighborhood anyways, I don't get what advantage there is. And gogeta is also spot on about private school being a status symbol in Caribbean communities. When I moved back down to South FL after living in NY for a couple years, I moved in with my grandparents, who moved from Lauderhill to Davie. They wanted to send me to Archbishop McCarthy. Only different it woulda made was wearing a uniform every day lol.

Idk, this is a very nuanced subject, but the main point of this is, I can't stand STA because they kept Western from being even better than they could have been in the late 2000s early 10s
St Thomas isnt in a good area.

AH and Gibbons are. Pace is smack dab in Opa locka.

What STA was to Western ...Chaminade is/was to Mcarthur...literally **** near all of their ballers over the years were Mcarthur kids.

Advertisement

STA isn’t in the hood but it’s not in a great area. Heritage and Chaminade are in nice areas. It’s not so much where the school is, it’s who’s going to school with you. A lot of parents believe because the other kids are well off, that the school is safer and their kid won’t get into trouble. But there’s a whole different type of trouble at rich schools. At most public schools, the only drug you’ll ever come across is weed. Private schools are full of kids who can afford coke, pills, molly, all kinds of stuff the average 15 year old can’t afford. In other words, if you’re looking for trouble, you’ll find it. Even at expensive private schools.

STA isn’t in the hood but it’s not in a great area. Heritage and Chaminade are in nice areas. It’s not so much where the school is, it’s who’s going to school with you. A lot of parents believe because the other kids are well off, that the school is safer and their kid won’t get into trouble. But there’s a whole different type of trouble at rich schools. At most public schools, the only drug you’ll ever come across is weed. Private schools are full of kids who can afford coke, pills, molly, all kinds of stuff the average 15 year old can’t afford. In other words, if you’re looking for trouble, you’ll find it. Even at expensive private schools.
Yearrrrrs ago, I used to travel on the student bus to Gainesville with my STA friends to watch them play in the State title game.

After being with those STA kids for a couple days, I swore I would never put my future child in private school. 😆

B!tches drinking liquor, taking bumps and sucking d!ck like it's their job.
Private school kids are terrible and entitled on top of it.

Yearrrrrs ago, I used to travel on the student bus to Gainesville with my STA friends to watch them play in the State title game.

After being with those STA kids for a couple days, I swore I would never put my future child in private school. 😆

Bruh. When I was at Western, a kid from STA transferred back to WHS and I heard stories about what the cheerleaders there were doing for football players and... I mean **** lol.

Advertisement

law and order crazy shit GIF

Gonna be hard for STA to snag Lauderdale kids if we get this thing rolling at Dillard.

My biggest issue with guys like Harriot is...
Why the **** yall let us literally develop a kid for 2/3 years and then come poach him once he becomes a baller?
To me that's green as fvck. You wanna get jits from little league, or from defunked programs, fine. But in a case like Dowels, nobody paid attention to that kid until he snagged 7 picks his Junior year and was locking up kids like Malcolm Lewis. NOW yall wanna come get them from a public school that just went 7-3 and was on the rise? It's like "**** we can't have nothin!" lol

I'm just using him as an example, but coaches all over the county do this. And sometimes they have homeboys that coach at the programs they're poaching from! That's one of the reasons the South Florida coaching culture is one big a$$ soap opera full of guys who have beef with each other.

Here's my opinion...
When you're a good coach...
And you do right by the kids...
And your face is clean and you get along with the right people...
MF'ers WILL SEND KIDS YOUR WAY.

I would NEVER play for a program that can't keep it funky.

Last edited:
I love these talks about south Florida hs football. As some of you may know I ref high school football in Broward and just the pure quality of games between the teams has disintegrated. Last year I had Taravella against Stranahan, and Stranahan was literally messing around with Taravella the entire game and still won by 50+.

I think you have two options…Option #1 combine schools and consolidate football teams ie…Taravella and Springs, Creek and Monarch, Northeast and BA.

Option 2…is the smarter approach and that would be allow a lot of the under enrolled community schools ie Ely, Hallandale, BA to move to what Dillard did and have a 6-12 school. That way you can at least build a culture of kids wanting to stay at the school they’ve been at forever.

Regardless you’re never going to be able to stop the full scale raiding of rosters by private schools but you can at least try to slow it down.

Advertisement

Preach John Stamos GIF by Fuller House

Coaches and boosters recruiting kids their school administrators wouldn't want anywhere near campus if these youngins weren't scoring touchdowns or averaging 20 points a game.

It's paternalistic, egotistical, self-serving hypocrisy at its worst.

Dislike these private school teams about as much as any not named UF or FSU.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back