sofla free agency thread

He started at Edison last season?
Hey Macho..been meaning to ask you..Who is this Xavier Lucas kid ive been hearing about thats at Deerfield that has been blowing up the camp circuit? Heard hes picking up offers at every spot. 6'2 CB...You coach him or did he just transfer in?

Advertisement
This is one thing I've never understood about Harriet. He seemingly gets a pass while straight up emptying the shelves on schools. Doubt he actually recruited this kid (STA recruits itself and rightfully so) but he did it at Uschool and now STA and nobody ever calls him out like they do others.

Years ago when I was the DC at Western I saw Roger in the stands of our game versus Nova. He wasn't there to scout either team, so I can only assume he was there to scout two players of ours who were beginning to make a name for themselves. (Juwan Dowels & Adrienne Talan)

I was like "****, this MF'er is brazen!" 🤣

Can't even develop your own kids without somebody coming to take them.

Years ago when I was the DC at Western I saw Roger in the stands of our game versus Nova. He wasn't there to scout either team, so I can only assume he was there to scout two players of ours who were beginning to make a name for themselves. (Juwan Dowels & Adrienne Talan)

phony as they come.

Hey Macho..been meaning to ask you..Who is this Xavier Lucas kid ive been hearing about thats at Deerfield that has been blowing up the camp circuit? Heard hes picking up offers at every spot. 6'2 CB...You coach him or did he just transfer in?
Yeah that's my boy. Great kid.

A legit 6'2"+.
About 185.
Can run, jump, massive hands, like 4.0 GPA.

He had 5 picks for me last season as a Sophomore sharing reps.

Advertisement

Thats all he has ever done is recruit because he started at that ORIGINAL U SCHOOL PROGRAM.

I kinda feel sorry for the schools in that North Broward corridor or boca area....

If your kid is good STA is on em...Fort Lauderdale has become a not so easy target so they have pivoted since they have to battle the Stranahan's, Plantations, Dillard (now on the irse again) American Heritage now they pivot to the easy pickens recruits.

That being said this how loaded the area is..ALL the **** Broward high schools STILL have enough talent to win state...Chaminade, STA, AH, Cardinal Gibbons who still can win.

Chaminade stays out of lauderdale recruiting wise...they have south broward/north dade on lock

Advertisement
Thats all he has ever done is recruit because he started at that ORIGINAL U SCHOOL PROGRAM.

I kinda feel sorry for the schools in that North Broward corridor or boca area....

If your kid is good STA is on em...Fort Lauderdale has become a not so easy target so they have pivoted since they have to battle the Stranahan's, Plantations, Dillard (now on the irse again) American Heritage now they pivot to the easy pickens recruits.

That being said this how loaded the area is..ALL the **** Broward high schools STILL have enough talent to win state...Chaminade, STA, AH, Cardinal Gibbons who still can win.

Chaminade stays out of lauderdale recruiting wise...they have south broward/north dade on lock

Gonna be hard for STA to snag Lauderdale kids if we get this thing rolling at Dillard.

My biggest issue with guys like Harriot is...
Why the **** yall let us literally develop a kid for 2/3 years and then come poach him once he becomes a baller?
To me that's green as fvck. You wanna get jits from little league, or from defunked programs, fine. But in a case like Dowels, nobody paid attention to that kid until he snagged 7 picks his Junior year and was locking up kids like Malcolm Lewis. NOW yall wanna come get them from a public school that just went 7-3 and was on the rise? It's like "**** we can't have nothin!" lol

I'm just using him as an example, but coaches all over the county do this. And sometimes they have homeboys that coach at the programs they're poaching from! That's one of the reasons the South Florida coaching culture is one big a$$ soap opera full of guys who have beef with each other.

Here's my opinion...
When you're a good coach...
And you do right by the kids...
And your face is clean and you get along with the right people...
MF'ers WILL SEND KIDS YOUR WAY.

Gonna be hard for STA to snag Lauderdale kids if we get this thing rolling at Dillard.

My biggest issue with guys like Harriot is...
Why the **** yall let us literally develop a kid for 2/3 years and then come poach him once he becomes a baller?
To me that's green as fvck. You wanna get jits from little league, or from defunked programs, fine. But in a case like Dowels, nobody paid attention to that kid until he snagged 7 picks his Junior year and was locking up kids like Malcolm Lewis. NOW yall wanna come get them from a public school that just went 7-3 and was on the rise? It's like "**** we can't have nothin!" lol

I'm just using him as an example, but coaches all over the county do this. And sometimes they have homeboys that coach at the programs they're poaching from! That's one of the reasons the South Florida coaching culture is one big a$$ soap opera full of guys who have beef with each other.

Here's my opinion...
When you're a good coach...
And you do right by the kids...
And your face is clean and you get along with the right people...
MF'ers WILL SEND KIDS YOUR WAY.
My former teammates raided Mcarthur their alma mater.

Advertisement
Aquinas has been stealing the best players for decades. It didn’t start with Roger Harriot. They were doing it when I was in school and I graduated 25 years ago. Back then it was just STA and Cardinal Gibbons. Now you’ve got Heritage doing it too. They’re not just offering kids from bad teams a chance to showcase their skill. They literally steal kids from playoff teams at positions they don’t even need. They just want to hoard talent even if it means they’re costing a kid a possible scholarship because he’s buried on their bench

Advertisement
Aquinas has been stealing the best players for decades. It didn’t start with Roger Harriot. They were doing it when I was in school and I graduated 25 years ago. Back then it was just STA and Cardinal Gibbons. Now you’ve got Heritage doing it too. They’re not just offering kids from bad teams a chance to showcase their skill. They literally steal kids from playoff teams at positions they don’t even need. They just want to hoard talent even if it means they’re costing a kid a possible scholarship because he’s buried on their bench
This is correct. I think the difference is that Coach Smith didn't do it as much and supplemented his roster with skill players because they had plenty of OL and DL. Cassulo's approach was similar to Coach Smith's. Harriott is recruiting in greater numbers because it helps STA and hurts local competitors.

He would get plenty of exposure at Edison this year because every school is going to watch Ray Ray's film and they will see him throwing the ball to Ray Ray.
Yeah, there was a time when playing at a major private powerhouse meant you could get exposure but if you’re good, scouts will find you. I mean Miami is recruiting a QB from the panhandle and that plays for a team that went 5-5 against weak competition. It’s not like the old days before the internet made scouting a much easier job

Advertisement
Back