sofla free agency thread

Another thing that struck me about South Florida coaches...

They're super ambitious when it comes to being around these kids, holding onto their jock, attaching themselves to the kids, taking credit for their success, etc.
But they're never AS AMBITIOUS about working on their own craft.

They will go to every fvckin' 7-on-7 known to man...
Drive to all the skill camps...
Just to be around these kids... (and latch onto them)

But they won't drive 2 hours up the road to attend a clinic and learn more about their craft.
They won't go out of their way to network, meet college coaches, pick their brains, etc.
Everything they do is centered around latching onto D1 athletes...NOT ACTUAL COACHING.

That's why we have so many handlers down here but VERY FEW technicians.
Our position coaching...particularly at OL/DL (the most technical positions)...down here is atrocious.
They're not true "football guys".

Another thing that plagues our area is guys thinking that they "know it all" because they played some college ball.
Meanwhile they don't study the game. They don't study Saban, Meyer, Venables, Aranda, etc. They can't name a single fvckin' modern offensive or defensive concept other than "RPO dawg!". That's why we don't see any scheme versatility down here. 87% of the defenses down here run 4-front with Cover-4 or Cover-1-Man. Nobody knows WTF the "Tite Front" is (except Columbus). Nobody knows WTF "Stubby/Special" coverage is.
And then when you try to bring up these concepts, they look at you crazy! lol

And they don't WANT to learn or work on their craft, so instead, they just work hard at recruiting better athletes to their school.
Without those athletes they're absolutely fvcked because then they'd actually have to develop.
Well, thats why alot of them will never be anything more than what they are if they have ambitions to ever be on someones support staff or QC analyst for a college team. Will never happen.

Advertisement

They're super ambitious when it comes to being around these kids, holding onto their jock, attaching themselves to the kids, taking credit for their success, etc.

But they won't drive 2 hours up the road to attend a clinic and learn more about their craft.
They won't go out of their way to network, meet college coaches, pick their brains, etc.
Everything they do is centered around latching onto D1 athletes...NOT ACTUAL COACHING.

Our position coaching...particularly at OL/DL (the most technical positions)...down here is atrocious.

Another thing that plagues our area is guys thinking that they "know it all" because they played some college ball.
Meanwhile they don't study the game. They don't study Saban, Meyer, Venables, Aranda, etc. They can't name a single fvckin' modern offensive or defensive concept other than "RPO dawg!". That's why we don't see any scheme versatility down here. 87% of the defenses down here run 4-front with Cover-4 or Cover-1-Man. Nobody knows WTF the "Tite Front" is (except Columbus). Nobody knows WTF "Stubby/Special" coverage is.

And they don't WANT to learn or work on their craft, so instead, they just work hard at recruiting better athletes to their school.
Without those athletes they're absolutely fvcked because then they'd actually have to develop.
I'll stop you when you start lyin' fam...

I bet alot of these guys that Macho is describing go to these colleges and try to use the recruit as a bargaining chip to get a spot on the support staff. And get laughed out of the room and told, "How about we just give you a little $umthin, $umthin for your time and efforts and we never see each other again?".

I bet alot of these guys that Macho is describing go to these colleges and try to use the recruit as a bargaining chip to get a spot on the support staff. And get laughed out of the room and told, "How about we just give you a little $umthin, $umthin for your time and efforts and we never see each other again?".
Coach Mo can confirm this.

And to a lesser extent, alot of these guys refuse to learn anything other than what they played in HS/College. Nothing is more annoying in a coaches office then the new guy who starts off with "well we used to run it this way at _____".

If I kept that mindset, I would be running lead/sweep/trap in 2022 lol.

Advertisement
You literally look like a little kid on his way to school. But you're supposed to be coaching? How?

The way I coach, there's no way I could wear a book bag.

Plus, I know my fat a$s would just fill it with lemon pepper wings that I can eat between defensive series.
I only wear my bag on the bus on the way to games, as soon as I get to the stadium, I either put it next to my seat in the booth if I'm upstairs, or behind one of the benches if I'm coaching on the sidelines. Makes no sense to me why you have a backpack just to have one lol.

And to a lesser extent, alot of these guys refuse to learn anything other than what they played in HS/College. Nothing is more annoying in a coaches office then the new guy who starts off with "well we used to run it this way at _____".

If I kept that mindset, I would be running lead/sweep/trap in 2022 lol.
Oh that one kills me!

One of my former assistant coaches was in his 50's and literally said...

"The Safety should be reading the Guards! Back in my day we read the Guards! When we saw them run block, we filled the alley!"

I said... "My dude, do you know what an RPO is?"

"I don't care about no **** RPO!"

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Advertisement

This is sad man but so true. Man, your comments about attending clinics is huge. That can help our athletes out so much more. If more coaches actually invested in learning about the game our athletes would be even more equipped to play right away. I remember seeing an interview with Sean Spence and he was talking about his time at MNW. He said when he first started playing in the 9th grade they had a DC that ran a 5-2 defense no matter what. On top of that he always blitzed. As result they did bad. I’m like , “how do you run a 5-2 with no adjustments?” Granted in the late 00’s we still had a lot of run heavy teams but still.

This is sad man but so true. Man, your comments about attending clinics is huge. That can help our athletes out so much more. If more coaches actually invested in learning about the game our athletes would be even more equipped to play right away. I remember seeing an interview with Sean Spence and he was talking about his time at MNW. He said when he first started playing in the 9th grade they had a DC that ran a 5-2 defense no matter what. On top of that he always blitzed. As result they did bad. I’m like , “how do you run a 5-2 with no adjustments?” Granted in the late 00’s we still had a lot of run heavy teams but still.
I remember going to a coaches clinic at FIU in 2016 or 17. I can't remember if it was the MNW head coach or DC that spoke, but he said that they STILL run that 5 down front defense. I remember hearing it as "5-3 cover zero" and he said they never got out of that. Didn't shock me when the West went to play a team out of Arizona and they got carved up on defense. Yeah you have some elite athletes, but you're scheming them out of the game just to satisfy your own ego.

there is a straight line progression between "coaching" at a park to randomly getting a high school gig and joining the 7 on 7 circus while wearing said backpack.

some of their practice plan highlights include

-45 minute team periods

-throwing the ball on inside run

-everyone blocking zone to the right/left with 0 rules or calls

-backpack on, shirt untucked, non school hat and a long *** towel in back pocket while coaching
1647479608691.png

Advertisement

ITS BECAUSE THEY CANT .....COACH.

THEY ARENT GOING TO GO TO THOSE CLINICS BECAUSE IT WILL BE BLATANTLY OBVIOUS THEY DONT HAVE A CLUE.

THEY ARE WHAT I CALL...."BUSS EM IN THE MOUTH" COACHES....thats their answer for everything...we down 10 pts..buss em in the mouth...Play doesnt work-.."its because ol aint blocking ..they gotta buss em in the mouth".

When we beat out of state power house programs.....Yall dont realize the coaching difference and how lacking prepared our kids are...But they still go out n out talent those out of state teams/.

They ride the coattails of these kids from youth ball...n hoard talent at the youth level and use those kids to move up to the high school ranks. You should hear how they talk about these kids...its almost like its a litter of puppies.

Very few know how to coach...its why you will see them at the same typical schools or at the same parks where all the talent is...They seldom build anything.
Its all about recruiting for them.

And they are territorial as ****....I remember 1 day i went to a training or practice of a db trainer in the area..just for the **** of it...it was a bunch of kids i coache din youth ball that i havent seen in about 2 years....they were practicing 7 on 7 but when they saw me they all came to talk with me...
their 7 on 7 bs coaches were looking like...

I remember going to a coaches clinic at FIU in 2016 or 17. I can't remember if it was the MNW head coach or DC that spoke, but he said that they STILL run that 5 down front defense. I remember hearing it as "5-3 cover zero" and he said they never got out of that. Didn't shock me when the West went to play a team out of Arizona and they got carved up on defense. Yeah you have some elite athletes, but you're scheming them out of the game just to satisfy your own ego.
MIAMI NW STILL RUN THAT SAME DEFENSE TO THIS DAY.

THATS WHAT YOUR GOING TO GET REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOUR RUNNING. THEIR HC RUNS THAT.

YOU GOTTA GET THE BALL OUT QUICK ON THEM...BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL ABOUT GETTING TO YOUR QB. ITS BASICALLY ALL THAT IS RUN IN YOUTH BALL DOWN HERE AS WELL...THATS HOW YOU KNOW MOST OF THESE GUYS ARE YOUTH BALL COACHES THAT JUST OUT TALENTED OTHER PARKS SINCE THEN

Hahaa yea! Exactly. Do you think it’s ego or it’s all they know?

Advertisement
I only wear my bag on the bus on the way to games, as soon as I get to the stadium, I either put it next to my seat in the booth if I'm upstairs, or behind one of the benches if I'm coaching on the sidelines. Makes no sense to me why you have a backpack just to have one lol.
nOW I UNDERSTAND IF YOU HAVE A TABLET...AN CERTAIN THINGS IN IT..WHEN I WOULD BE IN THE BOOTH ARE GUYS WOULD HAVE BACK PACK FOR THE HEAD SETS, ETC. THESE DUDES MUST JUST SEE OTHER COACHES WEARING IT AND JUST THINK ITS COOL AND MAKES THEM SEEM IMPORTANT. THEY are walking around with that at 7 on 7's and regular college camps for no reason

ITS BECAUSE THEY CANT .....COACH.

THEY ARENT GOING TO GO TO THOSE CLINICS BECAUSE IT WILL BE BLATANTLY OBVIOUS THEY DONT HAVE A CLUE.

THEY ARE WHAT I CALL...."BUSS EM IN THE MOUTH" COACHES....thats their answer for everything...we down 10 pts..buss em in the mouth...Play doesnt work-.."its because ol aint blocking ..they gotta buss em in the mouth".

When we beat out of state power house programs.....Yall dont realize the coaching difference and how lacking prepared our kids are...But they still go out n out talent those out of state teams/.

They ride the coattails of these kids from youth ball...n hoard talent at the youth level and use those kids to move up to the high school ranks. You should hear how they talk about these kids...its almost like its a litter of puppies.

Very few know how to coach...its why you will see them at the same typical schools or at the same parks where all the talent is...They seldom build anything.
Its all about recruiting for them.

And they are territorial as ****....I remember 1 day i went to a training or practice of a db trainer in the area..just for the **** of it...it was a bunch of kids i coache din youth ball that i havent seen in about 2 years....they were practicing 7 on 7 but when they saw me they all came to talk with me...
their 7 on 7 bs coaches were looking like...

Hahaa naw man… But you’re right! They are territorial. It’s crazy bruh. It’s weird.

Hahaa yea! Exactly. Do you think it’s ego or it’s all they know?
Its all they know...and to them if it aint broke dont fix it. In the case of MNW alot of the time they have the talent up front to JUST do that.
Realize these dudes may have been running this same scheme since T-DIDDY and COACH ICE HARRIS took the remote days....literally.

Its all they know...and to them if it aint broke dont fix it. In the case of MNW alot of the time they have the talent up front to JUST do that.
Realize these dudes may have been running this same scheme since T-DIDDY and COACH ICE HARRIS took the remote days....literally.

You’re right. It’s unfortunate because it’s truly a disservice to the kids

Advertisement
Back