sofla free agency thread

I've been on both sides.
When I was at Western I had kids taken from me every year.
Now I'm on the other side. I get a handful of transfers come to me every off-season.

It's a love/hate thing for me. I'm certainly not gonna turn kids down, and I'm actually grateful when they choose to come play for me/us. Most of these kids have been great young men.
But at the same time, I don't like having a roster full of transfer kids. That's like a mercenary program. I like having kids who have been in the program 3/4 years. I believe it creates more pride for the school/program, creates a tighter bond between teammates and coaches, etc.

I also don't like (having to worry about) my kids being recruited away from me every off-season by these 7-on-7 slapd!cks. These MF'ers are like vultures. We've actually been pretty fortunate though, we seldom lose kids during the off-season.
Yall are lucky because the 7 on 7 guys are WEAK in north broward.

This sh*t in south broward n Miami is different/different..its some of the top 7 on 7 teams in the country all wintin 5 miles of each other. And all the guys coached together. I coached on a team with Fl Fire, SFEXPRESS, DEFCON all on the high school staff. Sh*t is crazy...and i told you laot of the kids were concerned about 7 on 7 and wasnt even getting playing time in real games lmao

Advertisement
Yall are lucky because the 7 on 7 guys are WEAK in north broward.

This sh*t in south broward n Miami is different/different..its some of the top 7 on 7 teams in the country all wintin 5 miles of each other. And all the guys coached together. I coached on a team with Fl Fire, SFEXPRESS, DEFCON all on the high school staff. Sh*t is crazy...and i told you laot of the kids were concerned about 7 on 7 and wasnt even getting playing time in real games lmao
Being located in **** near Boca benefits us a lot. (as far as getting kids)
Not only do we get kids from mediocre North Broward schools, but we also get a lot of Palm Beach kids that are looking to transfer. Delray and Boca are basically right down the street. QB Michael Pratt (Tulane), DB Jared Moorer (Charleston Southern), DB Tyler Gaskin (Navy) and WR/DB Aydin Henningham (Pitt) were all 561 kids that helped us.

Our Northernmost location helps us keep kids too.
Where's a kid gonna go if he leaves Deerfield? No other public schools are competing far into the playoffs. Their closest option is Dillard or Western? (we've had kids leave for both, but usually it's cause they couldn't play here)
Stud kids generally don't make lateral moves, so if they leave us they'll probably "upgrade" to a private school like STA, Gibbons or Heritage.
1. Our kids don't like Gibbons. That's why we snatch so many kids away from them.
2. STA is kinda far, and most of our kids either can't play there or won't take the gamble. Plus they wanna graduate early.
3. Heritage is kinda far too, and we take more kids from them than they do us.

So the 7-on-7 coaches can try to sway our kids but unless they're affiliated with STA or Heritage then our kids probably won't even entertain them.
As much trouble as we've had getting over the hump, no other public school in Broward has even come close to competing in 3 straight state semifinals. And they also don't play 2 national games every year like we do. So other than playing time, these dudes have nothing to "offer" our kids.

Kinda sounds like I'm spitting a recruiting pitch right now, doesn't it? LOL

Truth be told, we actually LOSE a lot of kids that are THINKING about transferring here. I've heard countless stories of kids who were gonna come here but they (and their parents) were afraid that they wouldn't play.
And that couldn't be further from the truth, especially on defense. We play 17-20 kids every game.

Not only do we get kids from mediocre North Broward schools, but we also get a lot of Palm Beach kids that are looking to transfer. Delray and Boca are basically right down the street. QB Michael Pratt (Tulane), DB Jared Moorer (Charleston Southern), DB Tyler Gaskin (Navy) and WR/DB Aydin Henningham (Pitt) were all 561 kids that helped us.

Where's a kid gonna go if he leaves Deerfield? No other public schools are competing far into the playoffs. Their closest option is Dillard or Western? (we've had kids leave for both, but usually it's cause they couldn't play here)
Stud kids generally don't make lateral moves, so if they leave us they'll probably "upgrade" to a private school like STA, Gibbons or Heritage.
1. Our kids don't like Gibbons. That's why we snatch so many kids away from them.
2. STA is kinda far, and most of our kids either can't play there or won't take the gamble. Plus they wanna graduate early.

So the 7-on-7 coaches can try to sway our kids but unless they're affiliated with STA or Heritage then our kids probably won't even entertain them.
As much trouble as we've had getting over the hump, no other public school in Broward has even come close to competing in 3 straight state semifinals. And they also don't play 2 national games every year like we do. So other than playing time, these dudes have nothing to "offer" our kids.

Exactly.

The school that could/should be a threat is ELY but they cant get right....and the school just may be tooo hood for most lol

I know the Gibbons situation...i remember being at a camp and all of your coaches knew the Gibbons kids or were "talking" to them lol

The clemson commit last class, etc.

I like what you guys do at DB you get guys going to college that is BIG. Yall just cant get oevr that **** hump man

Ya'll just getting your pick of the litter from the Pompano kids now that Ely is a dumpster fire?

Advertisement
I've been on both sides.
When I was at Western I had kids taken from me every year.
Now I'm on the other side. I get a handful of transfers come to me every off-season.

It's a love/hate thing for me. I'm certainly not gonna turn kids down, and I'm actually grateful when they choose to come play for me/us. Most of these kids have been great young men.
But at the same time, I don't like having a roster full of transfer kids. That's like a mercenary program. I like having kids who have been in the program 3/4 years. I believe it creates more pride for the school/program, creates a tighter bond between teammates and coaches, etc.

I also don't like (having to worry about) my kids being recruited away from me every off-season by these 7-on-7 slapd!cks. These MF'ers are like vultures. We've actually been pretty fortunate though, we seldom lose kids during the off-season.

Yeah man from the outside looking in, it just seems crazy to me. I know a lot of these kids have their heads on straight, but it seems like maybe some of the weaker minded ones, can get the wrong idea about what’s going on, and it can affect the way they approach the sport in the future. I’m not saying all of them, but I think you know what I’m saying. I mean how did we even get to this point?

At the same time, I suppose for some kids it’s a good thing they can go to a better situation, so there’s good and bad to everything I guess.

We get some really interesting acquisitions too.

Our punter apparently just showed up one day and wanted to punt for us. We didn't know anything about him. The kid is one of the top punters in the country. Straight up "dude", surfer boy type who can't punt unless he's wearing his lucky socks.
Kid has a cannon!

Definitely was an interesting addition to our culture. LOL

Yeah man from the outside looking in, it just seems crazy to me. I know a lot of these kids have their heads on straight, but it seems like maybe some of the weaker minded ones, can get the wrong idea about what’s going on, and it can affect the way they approach the sport in the future. I’m not saying all of them, but I think you know what I’m saying. I mean how did we even get to this point?
I'm gonna be honest with you, bro...

A lot of the time it's THE ADULTS who are around these kids.

Advertisement
We get some really interesting acquisitions too.

Our punter apparently just showed up one day and wanted to punt for us. We didn't know anything about him. The kid is one of the top punters in the country. Straight up "dude", surfer boy type who can't punt unless he's wearing his lucky socks.
Kid has a cannon!

Definitely was an interesting addition to our culture. LOL

Had he ever punted before, I mean for a football team even? Or was he just some kid with a strong leg?

Not the biggest fan of all this , but I get it. I’d love to see Ely, BA, Miramar balling again.

I like what you said Macho about having some pride in your program/team.

hey, even Flanagan was able to win an 8A title over this. I never thought I’d see that day.

Not the biggest fan of all this , but I get it. I’d love to see Ely, BA, Miramar balling again.

I like what you said Macho about having some pride in your program/team.

hey, even Flanagan was able to win an 8A title over this. I never thought I’d see that day.
Miramar isnt sorry. They still win alot of games yearly and send guys div 1 every year.
Ely and BA have eroded.

Flanagan won with all recruited players...lol they have no talent base foreal. Thats why that run was short live with Devin Bush. It was his kids and other wise recruited kids.

Advertisement
Miramar isnt sorry. They still win alot of games yearly and send guys div 1 every year.
Ely and BA have eroded.

Flanagan won with all recruited players...lol they have no talent base foreal. Thats why that run was short live with Devin Bush. It was his kids and other wise recruited kids.
Yup, Flanagan was a blip on the radar. Never did anything before or after the Bush years. While there are always some talented dudes out there in the West Miramar/Pines area, the elite kids go private and there aren't enough left to sustain the Flanagans & Everglades of the world. Add that to the fact that the staffs at those schools have no pull. For example, Nesta started off at Cypress Bay(who was quickly losing steam post-Guandolo), cuz & Ant Schwartz were zoned to be Everglades Gators but everyone knew that wasn't happening...

Yup, Flanagan was a blip on the radar. Never did anything before or after the Bush years. While there are always some talented dudes out there in the West Miramar/Pines area, the elite kids go private and there aren't enough left to sustain the Flanagans & Everglades of the world. Add that to the fact that the staffs at those schools have no pull. For example, Nesta started off at Cypress Bay(who was quickly losing steam post-Guandolo), cuz & Ant Schwartz were zoned to be Everglades Gators but everyone knew that wasn't happening...
Yup u know i knew the deal with the area.

Yup Nesta was a cypress bay kid b4 he and his bro transferred. Heritage lives off of those kids.
The west miramar/pines kids you have 100 percent correct...if they play sports they going private school all the way lol.

I wonder what needs to happen for that American-HML area to become atleast somewhat respectable again. Its going on over a decade of neither being relevant.

Ely, Coco Creek & Boyd Anderson have suffered the hardest from the migrational transfers.

If the kids that lived on those area stuck to their home school those 3 schools would be in the playoffs every year.

Miramar got hit pretty rough lately too after they had a coaching change, but because the area is so talent rich they replenish from the parks in just a couple of years, they’re still producing D1 P5 kids despite losing a bunch to transfers.

But I can’t stand how STA ransacks the lower schools in Broward, they invade PB & even hit Northern Dade too.

But I won’t be a hypocrite, because even my school MNW has benefitted from snatching kids from Jackson & BTW recently, we also joined in the Hialeah raid, Hialeah dispersed kids to schools all over Dade & Broward lol. We took from North Miami too after they had a coaching change, we got their best OL & their best LB last year.

CC, Norland, American, AH & even Pace have all traded & competed for kids from the same areas to transfer.

But them South Broward schools transfer Wars are crazy bruh lol

Advertisement
Yup u know i knew the deal with the area.

Yup Nesta was a cypress bay kid b4 he and his bro transferred. Heritage lives off of those kids.
The west miramar/pines kids you have 100 percent correct...if they play sports they going private school all the way lol.

I wonder what needs to happen for that American-HML area to become atleast somewhat respectable again. Its going on over a decade of neither being relevant.
American fell off talent-wise when they re-zoned the Bahas & Lake Lucerne(the neighborhoods NW and directly North of HRS)back to CC a few years after I graduated. Actually Miramar was the first school to take advantage of the re-zoning due to CC having a really rough transition from the Frazier Era. Dudes like Malc, Bruh Man(Tracy Howard),Geno, Stedman, Sticks, etc. were all supposed to be Chiefs. When they were added to the Miramar talent(plus a few cats who were supposed to be at McA, SB, etc.), y'all saw what happened. HML just plain fell off. They were on their last gasp when I was in school. Their feeder pattern is the same but just haven't had a respectable staff in forever. De La tried to make something happen but the hole was too deep. Now anybody in HML zoned parts of Opa-Locka & Miami Gardens just go to Central or CC, even Norland. Anywhere but there...

Ely, Coco Creek & Boyd Anderson have suffered the hardest from the migrational transfers.

If the kids that lived on those area stuck to their home school those 3 schools would be in the playoffs every year.

Miramar got hit pretty rough lately too after they had a coaching change, but because the area is so talent rich they replenish from the parks in just a couple of years, they’re still producing D1 P5 kids despite losing a bunch to transfers.

But I can’t stand how STA ransacks the lower schools in Broward, they invade PB & even hit Northern Dade too.

But I won’t be a hypocrite, because even my school MNW has benefitted from snatching kids from Jackson & BTW recently, we also joined in the Hialeah raid, Hialeah dispersed kids to schools all over Dade & Broward lol. We took from North Miami too after they had a coaching change, we got their best OL & their best LB last year.

CC, Norland, American, AH & even Pace have all traded & competed for kids from the same areas to transfer.

But them South Broward schools transfer Wars are crazy bruh lol
One thing bout the West, they always had impact dudes that wasn't supposed to be a Bull. But that comes with being the flagship school in Dade's black community. Springs, Central, Hialeah, Edison, Jackson, Beach, you name it. If a talented dude didn't like his situation at those places, he could wind up in Blue & Gold. The magnet game took it to a whole other level. When I moved to the Bahas as a 10th grader, I remember being shocked to find out that Sidney Simpson, the starting CB opposite Big Yul on y'all '98 State team lived a few blocks from me...

And those used to be some of the most populous schools around. You’d think they can find 30 kids that can play. Amod Ned was balling for them before bolting for Northeast. They did have one DB who transferred to Everglades and later on to Utah and Raiders PS briefly, Conroy Black.

Everglades had something brewing back in 2006-2008. Palmeri was building something real and if he had today’s recruiting rules...

/those are my schools

And those used to be some of the most populous schools around. You’d think they can find 30 kids that can play. Amod Ned was balling for them before bolting for Northeast. They did have one DB who transferred to Everglades and later on to Utah and Raiders PS briefly, Conroy Black.

Everglades had something brewing back in 2006-2008. Palmeri was building something real and if he had today’s recruiting rules...

/those are my schools
Cypress Bay is still the largest school in the state of Florida. The administration just doesn't care about football nor does the student body have much interest.

It's crazy how class 8A has the biggest schools but might be one of the weakest classes, it's almost all suburban soccer mom schools

Advertisement
Back