sofla free agency thread

Without making it p-rhymes with “litical”, there’s a reason that most of the western suburban high schools don’t care about having a good football team. Especially since it would involve bringing in kids from other neighborhoods. When I was in school, there was no Flanagan, Everglades or Cypress Bay. Weston kids went to Western and Pembroke Pines kids went to Cooper City. Obviously the population was a lot lower then. Also kids had to play for the school in their neighborhood. STA and to a lesser point Gibbons were the only recruiting private schools. The eastern schools (Dillard, Ely, Boyd Anderson) were generally the best public teams every year. The western suburb schools (Western, Cooper City, Taravella and Douglas) would get stomped by those guys every year. Oddly, Miramar wasn’t very good either. My senior year at Cooper City we only won two games, Miramar and a first year Flanagan squad full of sophomores.

@Coach Macho were you at Cooper a few years back when they actually had a good team and won district? If so, how the **** did they manage that?
No, I was at Cooper in 2014.

That year they beat STA and won districts Art Taylor was the HC. He struck lightning in a bottle with that team. They were loaded with seniors and he had them completely bought into the process. He had 5'9"-5'11" angry, possessed, juice-ball Linebackers playing both ways, doubling as Offensive Guards who would pull at lightning speed and knock your head off. He had a slow but tough RB in Camden Khron (spelling?) who ran the Wing-T like he was born in it. Earl Little was their DC and he blitz the fvck outta people and his LB's would knock your QB's head off, kick his helmet across the field and live with the personal foul penalty. (this actually happened against us lol)

The next season they lost all those seniors and they went back to being regular Cooper City. Art Taylor felt like the school wasn't giving him what he needed, wouldn't let him get kids in, etc...so he hauled a$$ and went to Everglades.

Cooper will NEVER be good. Their administration doesn't give a ****. They had a chance to hire my buddy, who has won coach of the year 3 times in 2 different counties, and they passed on him for the guy that is there now because he's an alum. (we knew they wouldn't hire a black guy with dreads anyway lol)
My buddy wanted that job bad, because believe it or not, they have a chance to be successful. The good athletes aren't that far from Cooper City. They have unlimited resources, as far as money and support is concerned. Their neighborhood is all about building a good football team. And their district isn't rough at all, so it wouldn't be hard to win districts and go to the playoffs every year. This would be relatively easy to accomplish with a good staff... and if the school lets them get a few kids in.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If Chaminade had a better passing Offense that would be the perfect place for Inniss & for us.

Our track record with STA hasn’t been good recently, although the last WR we got from there was Harley & he’s become our leading WR.

I’d be encouraged if he went to DFB, I think we’d have a good shot with him there & Rooster would help somewhat.
rubbing hands GIF

That year they beat STA and won districts Art Taylor was the HC. He struck lightning in a bottle with that team. They were loaded with seniors and he had them completely bought into the process. He had 5'9"-5'11" angry, possessed, juice-ball Linebackers playing both ways, doubling as Offensive Guards who would pull at lightning speed and knock your head off. He had a slow but tough RB in Camden Khron (spelling?) who ran the Wing-T like he was born in it. Earl Little was their DC and he blitz the fvck outta people and his LB's would knock your QB's head off, kick his helmet across the field and live with the personal foul penalty. (this actually happened against us lol)

The next season they lost all those seniors and they went back to being regular Cooper City. Art Taylor felt like the school wasn't giving him what he needed, wouldn't let him get kids in, etc...so he hauled a$$ and went to Everglades.

Cooper will NEVER be good. Their administration doesn't give a ****. They had a chance to hire my buddy, who has won coach of the year 3 times in 2 different counties, and they passed on him for the guy that is there now because he's an alum. (we knew they wouldn't hire a black guy with dreads anyway lol)
My buddy wanted that job bad, because believe it or not, they have a chance to be successful. The good athletes aren't that far from Cooper City. They have unlimited resources, as far as money and support is concerned. Their neighborhood is all about building a good football team. And their district isn't rough at all, so it wouldn't be hard to win districts and go to the playoffs every year. This would be relatively easy to accomplish with a good staff... and if the school lets them get a few kids in.
There’s a really elitist attitude among residents in Cooper City. My friend is a realtor and he told me one of the big selling points for people looking to move there is they have the lowest percentage of multi-unit dwellings of any city in the county. Translation: there’s no poor people in the city. It only got worse when Flanagan opened and all the Pines kids started going there. The only kids at Cooper City are kids that live there. The parents are perfectly fine supporting a three win football team as long as their kids don’t have to sit in class next to an undesirable.

There’s a really elitist attitude among residents in Cooper City. My friend is a realtor and he told me one of the big selling points for people looking to move there is they have the lowest percentage of multi-unit dwellings of any city in the county. Translation: there’s no poor people in the city. It only got worse when Flanagan opened and all the Pines kids started going there. The only kids at Cooper City are kids that live there. The parents are perfectly fine supporting a three win football team as long as their kids don’t have to sit in class next to an undesirable.
I don't doubt that one bit, bro.
I've always said, it's one of the only cities in the entire county that doesn't have at least one low income area. LOL
Cooper City is like one big Mr Rodgers neighborhood.

I met some amazing kids and families during my time there, though. Not gonna lie. And the parents around the program were extremely supportive. Coaching there almost had that small town feel to it, where somebody would buy you a drink if you walked into a local bar with your CC coaching gear on. Landlubbers always took care of us on game nights too, 50% off our check and some free stuff thrown in. Quite the contrast from being at Deerfield and Southeast High, where the parents spend more time talkin' **** about your play-calling than actually being supportive of their coaches.

It's crazy how you can win 5 games at one school, and have the parents and entire city behind your back....
But go to the state semi-finals 3 years in a row at another school and get nothing but hate from the locals.

It's so frustrating because Cooper really does love its football. Hopefully when they are looking for a new coach again, the admin will allow them to make a good hire.

Advertisement
It's so frustrating because Cooper really does love its football. Hopefully when they are looking for a new coach again, the admin will allow them to make a good hire.
I think the community gets behind the football team because they like seeing their kids out there playing, even if the team is perpetually 4-6 or 5-5. If they wanted to watch their kids sit the bench while recruited players star on the field, they would have sent their kids to St. Thomas.

You guys think Cypress Bay will be decent again now that they hired Rocco Cassulo? They're looking for some assistant coaches and I'm thinking of applying... Not quite sure yet though.

You guys think Cypress Bay will be decent again now that they hired Rocco Cassulo? They're looking for some assistant coaches and I'm thinking of applying... Not quite sure yet though.
Has Rocco been successful at any school where he wasn't allowed to recruit? (serious question)

That Cypress gig will be tough for anybody IMO.

Yeah I mean at this point I’m pretty sure the majority of posters on this board could coach STA and look like Don Shula

Advertisement
Has Rocco been successful at any school where he wasn't allowed to recruit? (serious question)

That Cypress gig will be tough for anybody IMO.
Trick question bc as far as I know, he's only been at places that he's been allowed to recruit (STA and Mater, unless I'm missing somewhere).

Played them 2 years ago you 100 % correct. I was SHOCKED at the community support they have...because they suck. They had agood amount of fans at the game and we beat them by 3 scores.
This is like this at numerous schools..even at supposed power houses. There was a period where chaminade admin was on a different vibe...they sucked those years...american heritage for years was a middling program UNTIL walker left and they were able to bring in kids.

Southridge & Palmetto been taking all the top area talent in South Miami for the last couple years.

Killian has been bled out dry for talent in the area because of transfers.

South Dade/Homestead used to have a sh*t ton of talent too, but those kids are all getting snatched up by Ridge & Palmetto too, so Ridge/Palmetto getting all the Perrine, Richmond heights, Culter Bay, Goulds kids & even getting the Homestead, Leisure City, Florida City kids from way down south too.
Maurice “Smoke” Jones is a grove kid. He’s at Killian. Lil Nolton ‘s dad is from the Grove also. Lots of Grove kids in the city. Amari Cooper came out the grove.

Advertisement
Played them 2 years ago you 100 % correct. I was SHOCKED at the community support they have...because they suck. They had agood amount of fans at the game and we beat them by 3 scores.
This is like this at numerous schools..even at supposed power houses. There was a period where chaminade admin was on a different vibe...they sucked those years...american heritage for years was a middling program UNTIL walker left and they were able to bring in kids.

I'm tellin' ya...

The one year I was there, I never felt that much community support at any school I've been at in 14 years of coaching.
Although it's not really a small town, it's kinda got a small town feel to it.

If they ever get an HC in there that can go 7-3 every year and get into the playoffs they'd treat him like a god.

NO.

AH has become a power house. They can get any kid from that area. Western has recruiters with more pull than Rocco as well. Good luck. There is no talent despite a million kids at the school

Advertisement
If you think about it, it's not much different than what we see on the college level.

There are some Universities who are okay with being "respectable" and making a decent bowl every year. They know they have a lower ceiling and they're okay with never being a legit NC contender.

They find a Head Coach that can keep them ranked in the top-25 every year, playing in respectable bowls and sending a couple guys to the NFL and they worship that dude. Think...uhh...Gary Patterson at TCU.
I'm sure there's some other examples too.

I just hope that's not WTF is going on with us.

NO.

AH has become a power house. They can get any kid from that area. Western has recruiters with more pull than Rocco as well. Good luck. There is no talent despite a million kids at the school
Cypress might have the worst talent draw of any school in Broward.
That school is 60% wealthy Hispanics.

They call it "Westonzuela" for a reason. LOL

There's talent all over that city, but it ain't on the football field.
close up flirting GIF

I'm tellin' ya...

The one year I was there, I never felt that much community support at any school I've been at in 14 years of coaching.
Although it's not really a small town, it's kinda got a small town feel to it.

If they ever get an HC in there that can go 7-3 every year and get into the playoffs they'd treat him like a god.
If they couldve done that and maybe locked up some of those Davie Optomist kids at a time. A bunch of those kids like Jason Taylor's kids etc. Then the optomist program for Cooper City...CCD ..has done good...but none of those kids that are good lived in Cooper or Davie.lol

But yea while playing them the fans were good..speaking and friendly. (i was in the booth)...and i remember when i was in high school early 2000s they were seen as a tough out. They always had big lineman.

Schools like Cooper need to get back to that. If you arent going to let kids in and be as talented you better **** get an identity. Either by getting big kids in to the program from other sports like basketball and then just creating from there.

*Look were talking like this about Cooper and literlaly Western was THE SAME sh*t and got a staff with recruiters and some solid coaches and allow kids to transfer in.....and Now they are a tough out.

Cypress might have the worst talent draw of any school in Broward.
That school is 60% wealthy Hispanics.

They call it "Westonzuela" for a reason. LOL

There's talent all over that city, but it ain't on the football field.
close up flirting GIF
Maybe i should coach there..... bring some relevancy back to the community.

giphy.gif

Advertisement
Back