So would this be smart or silly?

Advertisement
Not agreeing to this but NCAA needs dismantling. There needs to be major changes, but I have no solutions other than a body to fairly investigate and levy penalties.

Advertisement
For an FCS team, playing an FBS team means revenue and a televised game. I actually think that's important.

Advertisement
I think it would be a bit too much.
F9yAvk7Xpr0c.gif

Not a fan of this part: "In football, each school will play a full round-robin schedule plus one nonconference game (no FCS opponents). The nonconference opponent will be locked in for a minimum of four seasons before there is an opt-out to schedule someone different. There will be no conference championship games"...when talking about a 12 team conference. College football is much more fun and exciting with MORE out of conference match ups, not fewer. This would allow for only one non-conference game every year in the regular schedule. I agree with the no FCS, but if doing a conference round robin, then limit conferences to 10 teams, allowing 3 non-conference games every year.

I was working on something similar a few years ago, trying to get back to the old conference setups before all the realignment.

"EAST"- PSU, ND, WVA, PITT ,BC, RUT, SYR, TEM
ACC- FSU, CLEM, UNC, NCS, DUKE, UVA, USCe, WFU, MARY
"SOUTH"- MIA, LOU, VAT, GAT, UCF, USF, ECU, MEM
SEC- ALA, LSU, GEO, AUB, TEN, FLA, MISS, MISS ST, KEN, VAN
BIG 10- OSU, MICH, MSU, WIS, NOR, IOWA, MINN, IND, ILL, PUR
SWC- TEX, TCU, BAY, TXT, TAM, ARK, HOU, SMU, RICE
BIG 8- OKL, NEB, OKS, COL, ISU, KSU, KAN, MIZ
PAC 10- USC, UCLA, WAS, STAN, ORE, ASU, ARZ, CAL, WSU, ORST

Conference champs play for NC. Lots of room for OOC play.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Would it be smart??? 100%... Complete realignment that makes geographical sense is the way it always should be...
Never gonna happen though... Too much money tied to existing conferences... Sure some smaller schools could bounce around and such but try breaking up the SEC..... Again not gonna happen.... But I like idea that SI proposed...

I think it would be a bit too much.

A bit too much?

Forde's moronic "think piece" is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Sorry, but it is brain-dead.

There are, literally, too many ignorant and stupid aspects of Forde's article to go into in one post. But the worst of all would be the collapse of TV money. Forde acts as if the "real" issues are playing round-robin, more playoff teams, and geographic identity. The reality is that the drop-off in TV money would be precipitious, as no league could guarantee enough high-quality matchups week after week to justify the money. What national TV network would pay a penny for Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas State, North Dakota State, Kansas, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, and Eastern Michigan? Maybe Fox Sports Midwest would be interested in bidding...against nobody.

Or how about the conference with TEN Texas teams and 2 Oklahoma teams. Yeah, there's going to be soooo much TV money for that ****e-show.

So, Forde would have you believe that directional Michigan schools would somehow benefit from being tossed into a bogus league that won't even sniff any TV money...or that people across the country are going to be happy with a steady diet of regional action, of which half of the games will be mismatches (and those are the CONFERENCE games). And that somehow parity would be achieved...I have no idea how, once the revenue dries up...

Forde is not only a rotten person, but he's an even worse sports journalist.

Last edited:
It's interesting and I kind of like some of it, but unless you do something about the money that flows so unequally in the sport, you're not really solving much. The only way to do that without directly regulating the money strem is to change the foundation and structure of recruiting.

Advertisement
Back