So what's the deal with Avontae

Advertisement
Arguing the difference between degrees of schools rated in the 40s, 50s, 60s is silly... Most of us know this. If you aren't going to one of those "elite" universities/colleges, its wise to choose a school with the largest, most concentrated networks in the area that you're planning to live the rest of your life.

When you throw in the fact that most of the kids we want to see playing football for UM aren't concerned with pursuing advanced degrees, its really as trivial as trivial gets...

What’s the metrics?

I had a detailed post about that - I think about a year ago, or within the year. I’m not going go looking all that stuff up now.

Suffice it to say that true academic metrics comprise somewhere around 10 to 15% of how they rated schools. The rest of the parameters are nothing related to academic exclusivity.

Last edited:
Arguing the difference between degrees of schools rated in the 40s, 50s, 60s is silly... Most of us know this. If you aren't going to one of those "elite" universities/colleges, its wise to choose a school with the largest, most concentrated networks in the area that you're planning to live the rest of your life.

When you throw in the fact that most of the kids we want to see playing football for UM aren't concerned with pursuing advanced degrees, its really as trivial as trivial gets...

this. absolutely makes no real diff. also, for those arguing bout jobs in Dc and NYC from UGA, these kids (anywhere) don't give a **** bout that. more often than not, if they dont make the Pros, they'll stay in the area they went to school.

Summary: I dislike UGA, but its a pretty competitive school academically. On par with Miami, but a different experience.

I hate to debunk a myth about the Dawg$ since I’m a GaTech grad, but UGA is ranked in the Top 50 for overall universities (US News & World Report) while Miami is just on the outside (#46 vs #53). I’d say they are relatively even though its obvious that certain programs will be better at one school than another.

More importantly, its a much different “college experience”, not just if he gets paid. Athens is a great college town (hate it but its true) and UGA takes care of its own all across the state of GA. Miami is a costlier, small private school experience in a great international city, with a much smaller alumni base that is spread out much more geographically (NE, Chicago, FL, Atlanta, etc. have strong alumni groups).

Just don’t think you can make a blanket statement that a Miami degree is much more valuable than UGA. If you are connected, you are connected - no matter where you go to college.

None of this matters really for us to argue about, Avantae will decide for himself and his family what is important to him.

UGA is a very weird place. Campus is filled with hippies. Very eclectic and just weird place overall

Advertisement
.. don’t make the Pros, they'll stay in the area they went to school.

I don’t think that’s right.. most of the kids from down here end up back here... and I imagine that’s true of most places. How many exCFB players do you see living in Gainesville, Athens, or Tuscaloosa? Probably only the ones that lived near there anyway. And that’s very few. At least that’s what I am surmising

A kid at his age with financial issues will certainly be swayed by money. Nothing against him but his priorities are short term over long term. Explain to him the value of a Miami Degree vs UGA and he’ll roll his eyes. Offer him 25-50k and he’ll jump never mind that the UM degree, assuming he doesn’t make it to the NFL, will return that money ten fold.

He has a baby to provide for now not in 4 years, so you can't fault him on chasing the bag life. His kid will be 4 yrs old before he sniffs the NFL. Diapers and daycare are not cheap.

Go Canes.

Advertisement
I don’t think that’s right.. most of the kids from down here end up back here... and I imagine that’s true of most places. How many exCFB players do you see living in Gainesville, Athens, or Tuscaloosa? Probably only the ones that lived near there anyway. And that’s very few. At least that’s what I am surmising

greater area -- Gainesville (orlando), Athens (ATL), Tusca (B-Ham) id say

He has a baby to provide for now not in 4 years, so you can't fault him on chasing the bag life. His kid will be 4 yrs old before he sniffs the NFL. Diapers and daycare are not cheap.

Go Canes.

also i went to UM and zero shot the UM degree is worth something that the quoted poster is referring to. great school but man its not harvard compared to UGA.

Advertisement
Fck Ugau and the $ec.
Atlanta. Nice city. Cool people. Nobody gives a sht.
Athens nice college town. Just like all the others. REM, kool band and nobody gives a sht either.

Miami, the cultural and economic hub of al of Latin America. From Mexico to Patagonia. A melting pot of cultures and races. A world wide destination. I’ve met people from Australia to Siberia that come here. All of that and much more while still going to school in a private university with small class sizes in one of the most beautiful cities in America coral gables.
Beautiful woman all over Miami. I can’t go buy dog food at Petco without seeing quality strange.
Sick and tired of people coming on here and talking about everything from FAMU hotties and free dinner in tuskkkaloosa as a reason to not play here. Really? Now we want to put out school rankings based on degrees these kids might not even get if they’re 3 and out. Or degrees that they can’t major in due to time or scheduling conflicts.
But we want to argue about rankings and being a king on main street nowhere USA.
Really?!
Y’all really going to sell some kids on being able to walk into a bar in Athens and not have to pay for a bear or a burger over living down here for 3-4 years?
Many people can retire and live like kings in a 3rd world country but they don’t.
These small towns had to buy kids to be relevant. It wasn’t cmr’s persuasiveness and Athens’ global reach, or atlanta’s Business hub that made Sony Michelle go there. And for the past 18 years this school has made it easier for schools to buy them.
Why do you think Emmett and co are putting the breaks on the portal?
I’m not dissing these towns a place to have quality life and raise a family. But please. All college towns offer the same Sht.
That’s why the trolls come out here as fake fans.

Last edited:
A kid at his age with financial issues will certainly be swayed by money. Nothing against him but his priorities are short term over long term. Explain to him the value of a Miami Degree vs UGA and he’ll roll his eyes. Offer him 25-50k and he’ll jump never mind that the UM degree, assuming he doesn’t make it to the NFL, will return that money ten fold.

Actually per US News 2019 college rankings a UGA(# 46) degree is more valuable than Miami ( # 53), so is a UF (# 35) degree for that matter.

Go Canes

Advertisement
UGA is NOT a good school. Try getting a job outside of Atlanta with a Georgia degree.

If your work experience is absolutely stellar, you can get a job anywhere, but how many " 'Dawgs" are on Wall Street or working for the non-Atlanta offices of McKinsey, BCG or Bain. The answer is practically none. Elite companies will maintain several " 'Dawgs" in their Atlanta offices, but those fellows rarely end up in major markets.

We were just voted #6 place to work at globally and we do not hire ANYONE from Georgia. We hire PhDs from Florida's Industrial Engineering department and are now taking a slew of PhDs from numerous UCF Stem departments. We will hire PhDs in Economics from LSU and from Indiana. We also hired a PhD from NC State because she published several articles on how to build certain models to better forecast revenue in our industry.

If you have to attend an SEC school, then go to Florida. You only go to Georgia if you want to work in Atlanta.

This is what people don't understand. They will point out that John Doe with a UGA degree works at a certain company. Well John Doe sure as schit didn't get that job right out of college unless he had really really really good connections. The reason you go to elite schools is to accelerate your career path. Kids from Harvard are landing jobs at the age of 22 that 35 year old UGA grads with stellar work performance are clamoring over and most likely will never land.

Actually per US News 2019 college rankings a UGA(# 46) degree is more valuable than Miami ( # 53), so is a UF (# 35) degree for that matter.

Go Canes

That is because they fator in all sorts of nonsense like percent of students from low income families, number of on campus clubs, how many parades they have on campus etc. etc. If this was purely based off how good a job you will land after college UGA would be far below UM.

This is what people don't understand. They will point out that John Doe with a UGA degree works at a certain company. Well John Doe sure as schit didn't get that job right out of college unless he had really really really good connections. The reason you go to elite schools is to accelerate your career path. Kids from Harvard are landing jobs at the age of 22 that 35 year old UGA grads with stellar work performance are clamoring over and most likely will never land.

lol these kids dont give a **** if they land a wall street job or not. they're going to the school that does the best job in getting them drafted.

Advertisement
Back