So what's the deal with Avontae

Advertisement
If it makes you feel better to school me on the metrics, have at it OCCC. I wanted to point out that just because UGA is an $EC school doesn’t mean we can make the case that a UM degree/college experience will be worth much more. Thank goodness our coaches/recruiting staff are more nuanced in selling a UM education and specific areas of study to recruits than just going by rankings.

For those interested, USNWR methodology for college rankings link (Found here).

You don’t understand the USNWR college ranking metrics, do you?

Summary: I dislike UGA, but its a pretty competitive school academically. On par with Miami, but a different experience.

I hate to debunk a myth about the Dawg$ since I’m a GaTech grad, but UGA is ranked in the Top 50 for overall universities (US News & World Report) while Miami is just on the outside (#46 vs #53). I’d say they are relatively even though its obvious that certain programs will be better at one school than another.

More importantly, its a much different “college experience”, not just if he gets paid. Athens is a great college town (hate it but its true) and UGA takes care of its own all across the state of GA. Miami is a costlier, small private school experience in a great international city, with a much smaller alumni base that is spread out much more geographically (NE, Chicago, FL, Atlanta, etc. have strong alumni groups).

Just don’t think you can make a blanket statement that a Miami degree is much more valuable than UGA. If you are connected, you are connected - no matter where you go to college.

None of this matters really for us to argue about, Avantae will decide for himself and his family what is important to him.

This is false. UGA is awful academically. USnews rankings and the like are all jokes. Academics only count for about 10% of the rankings. I can't speak for UGA taking care of their own in Georgia. I guess if your goal is to be an accountant for Billy Bob Joe's pig farm in bumfvck Georgia. Then by all means. Go to Georgia. However, if you ever plan on making 7, 8, 9, or 10 figures a year. Going to UGA would be a terrible choice.

This is false. UGA is awful academically. USnews rankings and the like are all jokes. Academics only count for about 10% of the rankings. I can't speak for UGA taking care of their own in Georgia. I guess if your goal is to be an accountant for Billy Bob Joe's pig farm in bumfvck Georgia. Then by all means. Go to Georgia. However, if you ever plan on making 7, 8, 9, or 10 figures a year. Going to UGA would be a terrible choice.
This is an incredibly naive statement. Atlanta is one of the major and growing business hubs in the country, with great job opportunities in industry and professional services. The idea that Georgia work opportunities are primarily pig farming type agriculture is just ignorant.

Secondly, there are plenty of smart graduates of UGA who do very well in competitive job environments.

Thirdly, very few of our recruits are at an educational level where it remotely matters which academic program they go to, because they aren’t taking advanced classes in any case, and either degree is okay for saying you have a degree.

So claimimg a kid should make this pick based on degree quality seems like an unlikely selling argument to resonate. The U sells stay home because it’s home, plus football history, nfl opportunities, family environment in the program, and solid degree. UGA sells get outta your home, because college atmosphere, play for titles, SEC, get what you deserve, fun, and solid degree. Our sell isn’t the degree, and we’ll lose most battles if we think otherwise.

Advertisement
This is an incredibly naive statement. Atlanta is one of the major and growing business hubs in the country, with great job opportunities in industry and professional services. The idea that Georgia work opportunities are primarily pig farming type agriculture is just ignorant.

Secondly, there are plenty of smart graduates of UGA who do very well in competitive job environments.

Thirdly, very few of our recruits are at an educational level where it remotely matters which academic program they go to, because they aren’t taking advanced classes in any case, and either degree is okay for saying you have a degree.

So claimimg a kid should make this pick based on degree quality seems like an unlikely selling argument to resonate. The U sells stay home because it’s home, plus football history, nfl opportunities, family environment in the program, and solid degree. UGA sells get outta your home, because college atmosphere, play for titles, SEC, get what you deserve, fun, and solid degree. Our sell isn’t the degree, and we’ll lose most battles if we think otherwise.

Can you really expect anything less from this forum's foremost expert on conjecture, talking in absolutes, and making sweeping/hasty generalizations?? :LOL:

Ya people are flocking from all over the world to go work in Atlanta. LMFAO!! Atlanta may be growing, but it is still miles behind the true business hubs of the world.

Second, I never disagreed with this. There are smart people that go to Dade community college, hair dresser school, and Lincoln tech. However, the percent of "smart grads" from UGA are going to be smaller than graduates from higher tier schools.

Third, that is not what is being discussed. I agree fully with that statement though.

Fourth, I never claimed a kid should pick a school based on a degree. I am talking about the nonsense being spewed that UGA is a great school. Obviously we are not Stanford were the degree is the sell. I am not even saying this kid should pick Miami over UGA.

Can you really expect anything less from this forum's foremost expert on conjecture, talking in absolutes, and making sweeping/hasty generalizations?? :LOL:

I expect nothing less from the resident "star don't matter guy". I bet you are also the type of guy that tells people "schools don't matter just get your degree". "Online college is just as good as graduating from Harvard. Why waste all that money?"

If it makes you feel better to school me on the metrics, have at it OCCC. I wanted to point out that just because UGA is an $EC school doesn’t mean we can make the case that a UM degree/college experience will be worth much more. Thank goodness our coaches/recruiting staff are more nuanced in selling a UM education and specific areas of study to recruits than just going by rankings.

No dog in the fight, but yeah actual academics only accounts for 20% of the ranking, less than last year actually.

UM has a higher graduation rate and higher average salary post graduation.

I'd be interested to see just the academics portion compared but it looks like you'd need a subscription.

Advertisement

for undergrad, if you aren't at a top 20 school really maybe 25 depending on the name, its very regional and depends on connections (depending on your field of course). if you want to stay in ATL or in GA, overall, UGA is perfect. it's not a bad school at all and the ATL area is filled w alums that will hire back

He's going to UF or UGA.

We have a much better chance getting a recommit from Tenninsom than we do getting Tae to flip back to us.

If we're trying to take another Safety in this class we should be after Vito Tisdale.

I dont think he goes to UF

It will come down to UGA, Miami, and Oregon

Ya people are flocking from all over the world to go work in Atlanta. LMFAO!! Atlanta may be growing, but it is still miles behind the true business hubs of the world.

Second, I never disagreed with this. There are smart people that go to Dade community college, hair dresser school, and Lincoln tech. However, the percent of "smart grads" from UGA are going to be smaller than graduates from higher tier schools.

Third, that is not what is being discussed. I agree fully with that statement though.

Fourth, I never claimed a kid should pick a school based on a degree. I am talking about the nonsense being spewed that UGA is a great school. Obviously we are not Stanford were the degree is the sell. I am not even saying this kid should pick Miami over UGA.
Agreed the pay differential between what someone makes in Atlanta to say DC is crazy. People move down to spread money out because COLA (cost of living adjustment) is so cheap.

Summary: I dislike UGA, but its a pretty competitive school academically. On par with Miami, but a different experience.

I hate to debunk a myth about the Dawg$ since I’m a GaTech grad, but UGA is ranked in the Top 50 for overall universities (US News & World Report) while Miami is just on the outside (#46 vs #53). I’d say they are relatively even though its obvious that certain programs will be better at one school than another.

More importantly, its a much different “college experience”, not just if he gets paid. Athens is a great college town (hate it but its true) and UGA takes care of its own all across the state of GA. Miami is a costlier, small private school experience in a great international city, with a much smaller alumni base that is spread out much more geographically (NE, Chicago, FL, Atlanta, etc. have strong alumni groups).

Just don’t think you can make a blanket statement that a Miami degree is much more valuable than UGA. If you are connected, you are connected - no matter where you go to college.

None of this matters really for us to argue about, Avantae will decide for himself and his family what is important to him.
Agreed but good look luck getting any of our fans to see it this way. UM is a great school, but we think we're Stanford or Harvard suddenly. And like that would honestly matter anyway...as if more than 1% of elite recruits truly give a sht about school rankings.

Advertisement
Good discussion. I'll say this much, UGA seems to be way more selective than you'd believe from reading this board. My recent high school graduate was considering UGA, and their numbers seemed to be pretty impressive. He scored a full tuition scholly at UM and was only offered peanuts at UGA.
With that said, I hate uga. I'm happy as **** he didn't choose them. LOL

UGA is much easier to get into. They accept %53 of applicants, UM is 37. You need higher grades and test scores at UM

I can't remember the exact stats, but when sitting in on the campus seminars, I remember the averages for the freshman class of uga and UM being similar.

Advertisement
As someone who attended Miami and now lives in Atlanta, my opinion is that UGA can be a good school, and certainly I know a lot of intelligent people from my kids high school in the HONORS program at UGA. But outside of the Honors program, UGA is not well respected. Yes it creates connections in the south, but less in Atlanta and much more so in the rest of Georgia. Georgia Tech built Atlanta and runs Atlanta. UGA runs the politics of the state, but that’s because most of the state is rural and full of UGA grads. But the engine that drives Georgia is Atlanta, and the school that runs Atlanta is Tech.
No way is the typical UGA degree of the same quality as the typical Miami degree. Try taking a UGA degree outside of Georgia and it is no different from Alabama, Ole Miss, or most SEC schools apart from Vandy.

He's going to UF or UGA.

We have a much better chance getting a recommit from Tenninsom than we do getting Tae to flip back to us.

If we're trying to take another Safety in this class we should be after Vito Tisdale.

I think it's as simple as taking Balom, nothing wrong with him.

UGA is NOT a good school. Try getting a job outside of Atlanta with a Georgia degree.

If your work experience is absolutely stellar, you can get a job anywhere, but how many " 'Dawgs" are on Wall Street or working for the non-Atlanta offices of McKinsey, BCG or Bain. The answer is practically none. Elite companies will maintain several " 'Dawgs" in their Atlanta offices, but those fellows rarely end up in major markets.

We were just voted #6 place to work at globally and we do not hire ANYONE from Georgia. We hire PhDs from Florida's Industrial Engineering department and are now taking a slew of PhDs from numerous UCF Stem departments. We will hire PhDs in Economics from LSU and from Indiana. We also hired a PhD from NC State because she published several articles on how to build certain models to better forecast revenue in our industry.

If you have to attend an SEC school, then go to Florida. You only go to Georgia if you want to work in Atlanta.

As someone who attended Miami and now lives in Atlanta, my opinion is that UGA can be a good school, and certainly I know a lot of intelligent people from my kids high school in the HONORS program at UGA. But outside of the Honors program, UGA is not well respected. Yes it creates connections in the south, but less in Atlanta and much more so in the rest of Georgia. Georgia Tech built Atlanta and runs Atlanta. UGA runs the politics of the state, but that’s because most of the state is rural and full of UGA grads. But the engine that drives Georgia is Atlanta, and the school that runs Atlanta is Tech.
No way is the typical UGA degree of the same quality as the typical Miami degree. Try taking a UGA degree outside of Georgia and it is no different from Alabama, Ole Miss, or most SEC schools apart from Vandy.

I thought UGA has a pretty well respected Risk Management & Insurance program in their business school? I would still easily take Miami's business school over theirs every day though.

Advertisement
Back