So what are the chances...

MiamiVice7

Senior
that the O steps up and at least makes this thing a shootout on Saturday?

This was already my train of thought BEFORE the DP news, now I can't help but think an offensive explosion is our only shot.

I keep telling myself we're capable with Duke et al., but haven't seen it yet and it only gets tougher from here.

Need Stephen to shine big time (and the WRs...and the OL...and TEs...).

Advertisement
I'd say that's pretty much the only hope we have. And that the defense can come up with some TOs when they're not busy bending over.

I just hope we see something new. Ran the same offense game 1 and 2. Tried to open it up against bcc but failed.

I'm shocked that we have no semblance of a vertical passing game. Without this, we are a 3-4 win team.

I'm shocked that we have no semblance of a vertical passing game. Without this, we are a 3-4 win team.

Morris has got to convert the few chances he's given in that area. First play against BCC was a gimme TD to Duke and he flat out missed it. Another time on the flea flicker, he threw it between the goal posts. Got to do better than that.

He was horrible on Saturday. We won't win another game if he plays like that.

Advertisement
My concern is that we'll force the short pass/dink and dunk crap in some effort to "keep the ball out of GT's hands"...you know, ball control. I get that idea to a point, but I don't care to play keep away at the cost of getting downfield. Plus, we can try to control the clock all we want, but it won't matter when we're getting gashed for 12 yards a clip. We seem to suck at the short stuff as much as downfield anyways, so I'd rather live/die by the sword (generally speaking, but especially in a game like this). I'm also happy lining up like men and trying to smash the ball down their throats, but I guess we just don't do that these days.

I don't think I can handle: shotgun draw for 2 yards, incomplete 1-yard attempt to Thompkins' ankles, and 3-yard completion to Dorsett on 3rd and 8....followed by a 5-play GT scoring drive with Gaines and Green diving at ankles.

I live in Atlanta...it's been fun having GT's number, but not getting the warm n' fuzzies this time.

Who knows what we get out of Morris on Saturday. I know he has a good game in him, just not sure why it hasn't come out yet.

GT is much improved on defense, if our defense doesn't play well, we have no chance. Morris has looked awful in the last 2 games, that performance on Saturday was Kirby-esque. I'm afraid this one could be ugly

Advertisement
I just hope we see something new. Ran the same offense game 1 and 2. Tried to open it up against bcc but failed.

Playcalling was fine (except for some odd redzone ****) but Morris sucked. Nothing anyone can do if the QB cant deliver.

Just like going into KSU I thought the red zone would be the key.

GT will move the ball on us but we sometimes show some life against the run when the field gets shorter. If we can keep them kicking field goals and get a fumble or two that will obviously be huge.

The O is really going to have to play well though I agree.

the O will only play well if they calm down and stop with this panicky, helter-skelter offense.

Advertisement
I'm gonna watch more game tape, but I remember GT pressing Tech's receivers behind the zone blitz repeatedly. Against that sort of look, we need to be more vertical, and/or also incorporate more screens/flares to Duke. There will be opportunities for BIG plays against them, I'm almost certain of that, but we have to execute and we need BC not BCC Morris.

nice assessment, DCF. I don't know what our offensive personality is, but we definitely are not a grind it out ball-control team. The lateral passing may function that way if it is well done, but i think we need to open it up and play to what we are made for.

Mike James may keep them honest, but I sure would like to see some 1st down play-action down field.

Just like going into KSU I thought the red zone would be the key.

GT will move the ball on us but we sometimes show some life against the run when the field gets shorter. If we can keep them kicking field goals and get a fumble or two that will obviously

The O is really going to have to play well though I agree.

Running the ball would be huge for us, keeps GT's offense off the field and allows us to control the clock. With that said we won't be able to line up and just run it down their throat, Morris has to hit some passes to soften up the defense.

Playcalling was fine (except for some odd redzone ****) but Morris sucked. Nothing anyone can do if the QB cant deliver.

Thats what i basically meant. If morris cant do it vs bcc then oh ****

That was a terrible first half for Morris, he needs to start hitting our WR's in stride so they have a chance to do something after the catch, his accuracy took a step back Saturday.

Advertisement
I think we had so much success early with the run that SM never really got into rhythm. I watched it with the patriots this weekend, they try to be htis running team as if they did not have a good passing game and would you believe it the passing game suffered. Now Tom Brady is good enough to break out of it late in the game, but it never would have been a game if they just came out and started the game slinging the ball around. In BC we did that with Morris and he got very comfortable and as the game progressed you could see it in his reads and throws.

We are not a road grading power football team, we need to set up the run with the short quick hitters out of the shotgun, then run a bit out of the I. Then hit the big one when they think we run in the I and only pass when we are in shotgun. BOOM, a lil I formation PA deep ball to Scott! Hopefully, by then Duke has struck a couple of big plays, and the other guys are making plays as well, and SM is in rhythm! Hey!, one can hope can't he?

So what are the chances that the O steps up and at least makes this thing a shootout on Saturday?
1.gif

only way i see us winning is if the offense puts up 49pts because i dont see our defense stopping them whatsoever

i havent seen anything out of the offense this year (besides Duke) that makes me think we can even score even 35 against a decent team

Advertisement
Back