So, we gonna sign any DTs this year?

Advertisement
seriously this position is the most neglected recruiting wise, year in and year out under this staff.

DT is one **** of a position to scout, i like our D-line this year and for the next 2, norton is a stud, willis will be eligible, courtel has proven to make plays, macintosh has potential, i think we need one this cycle but i really don't see any we are in the running for, I'm more worried about secondary particularly the safety spot, i like pierres tape but wasn't overly impressed and cook hasn't really looked good this year, don't know who else is there too

Advertisement
They have done a **** poor job since they have been here, we also have missed on the Top secondary guys in our own back yard but when you look at the DC, Secondary Coach and the Defensive Line Coach under Golden it answers why we have struggled in recruiting and development like never before Howard got here in the very beginning.

Whitfield, Logan, ????

2016 DT/SDE Glenn Logan is committed to LSU so forget about that.

2016 DT Darius Whitfield from Alabama is now getting the full court press from FLorida, an with UF's DLine coach Chris Rumph having coached at Bama a few years ago he has strong ties within the state alabama so I would look for Whifield to sign with UF. Also Whitfield is better suited to a 1 gap defensive scheme where he can utilize his speed and quickness which are his best treats as an interior dlinemen.

Miami best shots for landing a few good DT's are:

2016 DT Benjamin " Shug" Frazier our of Georgia who is a extremely athletic massive young man who is ideally built to be a NT/DT in a gap system. I see him falling to Miami by default because he doesn't really fit what LSU and UF do defensively and UGA also both schools have other players higher rated on their boards. So this will end up very similar to the Kendrick Norton situation from 2015 where Miami is the least best option, but he will thrive in UM's 3-4/4-3 under fronts.

4-3 Under Front Explained (Do Not high jack this thread with defensive Scheme talk the link is just for reference)
The Seahawks and the 4-3 Under Front: Winds of change? - Field Gulls

2016 DT Stephon Taylor is player from Louisiana that most likely could fall into Miami's 2016 class also because of the number of quality DT's throughout the Louisiana and Georgia. LSU is has other players rated higher on the board both in state and OOS, an some think Taylor's best position is Off Tackle (which would make him a good candidate as SDE in the 3-4 scheme to set the edge). He knows he is a Plan C for LSU but the thing is LSU knows how to play the game so the recruit all the kids on their board, but he is LSU's to lose an would probably flip on NSD if they offered him. I am thinking AL Golden is would be leery of being left at the alter again. LSU will take a large number of dlinemen in their 2016 class, but I have feeling Taylor will be left out. Also Texas is a dark horse to land him, back in the summer he named Texas & LSU his top schools.

He says he is serious about considering Miami according to a Canesports article.
https://miami.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=903&script=%2Fcontent.asp&cid=1788263

Coach Randy Melvin is not the strongest recruiter, and Miami's defensive philosophy doesn't endear it to high profile interior dlinemen so for those of you hoping / looking for Miami to recruit high profile 5* and 4* DT's/NT's you can forget about it! This defensive is built for blue collar space eating Massive linemen that have some athletic ability, but the premium is placed on size, strength, and length in the trenches with speed being an optional bonus but not a requirement.

I think UM's staff is hoping they can use the ranking of the 2016 class to sway some quality DT's later in recruiting process that are not picked up by the kids 1st or 2nd choice. There are a lot of good DT's available this year and next year. Miami needs to stay away from relying on the Juco ranks for DT recruits every year. At most UM should look for 1 or 2 every other year, instead we should be bringing in quality prep kids and then redshirting them.

Go Canes

Last edited:
There are a few other names I will drop later tonight I think would work at Miami.

Such as 6'3" 300lbs 2016 DT Anthony Long from Pennsylvania. He is rated as the #1 dt in Pennsylvania and wants to commit to Pitt badly but Pitt is slow playing him big time because he is a 2 gap type DT all the way and Pitt's coach Pat Narduzzi wants 1 gap type dlinemen.

Go Canes

[HUDL]athlete/1725019/highlights/223523377[/HUDL]

Last edited:
Advertisement
[MENTION=4597]Paranos[/MENTION] I know he's committed to LSU but they are looking to bring in about 3 more 4* or higher DTs

one of the recruits I like a lot is 6'4" 350lbs 2016 DT Soape Tupou from Northern California the kid is a monster but for some reason only has an offer from UCLA. This is typical type of Polynesian kid that goes to Wash or Utah and gets drafted in the 1st round 5 years from now an everyone wonders why he was a bigger name coming out of high school. look past the Oline highlights an think about how his ability to physically control his opponent translates to 2 gaping style of play.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sf_BgUQF-k[/video]

[video=youtube;ax3flCajMV8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax3flCajMV8[/video]

Last edited:
[MENTION=4597]Paranos[/MENTION] I know he's committed to LSU but they are looking to bring in about 3 more 4* or higher DTs

Logan is #1 ranked overall player in Louisiana, Les Miles is not letting go of the states #1 player especially at a position of need. Rule #1 of recruiting is take the local kid first if all things are equal or close to being evenly matched. Securing your states borders is paramount.

don't get me wrong I think the kid is a helluva player, but he is not leaving the SEC.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back