So of the current DE's on the roster, who fits the viper position?

Advertisement
Wait, is "viper" just the weak side DE? Usually it's odd front defenses that use the hybrid DE/OLB with a silly name.
Yes. And yep 3-4 defenses usually call that position buck or jack and etc. But diaz been calling it viper. Don't know why people making it a big deal now.

Playing safety not gone help him play DE.

I understand your point that anyone on the roster could play it and that Jackson hardly ever dropped back. But that doesn't mean we've really seen how they'd intend to fully use the spot (maybe we haven't had personnel for it). As I understand it's a jack of all trades of sorts from rushing to spot coverage and Greg's skill set probably best suits that. Hand in the ground but enough ability to drop as a LB on different fronts.

Otherwise, sure anyone could play it just fine.

Advertisement
I understand your point that anyone on the roster could play it and that Jackson hardly ever dropped back. But that doesn't mean we've really seen how they'd intend to fully use the spot (maybe we haven't had personnel for it). As I understand it's a jack of all trades of sorts from rushing to spot coverage and Greg's skill set probably best suits that.

Otherwise, sure anyone could play it just fine.
Dude it's just a fancy name. You have seen the full function. They are not going to have one of the best pass rushers in coverage. How many times did ferguson at LA tech drop in coverage? That guy was rushing the qb.

Just like striker. Some people have such a hard time with that position when it's just a 3rd safety on the field. They call the SS a rover.

Dude it's just a fancy name. You have seen the full function. They are not going to have one of the best pass rushers in coverage. How many times did ferguson at LA tech drop in coverage? That guy was rushing the qb.

Just like striker. Some people have such a hard time with that position when it's just a 3rd safety on the field. They call the SS a rover.

I completely understand (both) are essentially fancy names for established positions, but the question is who is best suited. Here's a direct quote from Baker. He's looking for a unique athlete who is comfortable in space. Greg fits the bill is all I'm saying.

Screenshot_20190717-103150.png

Yes. And yep 3-4 defenses usually call that position buck or jack and etc. But diaz been calling it viper. Don't know why people making it a big deal now.

View attachment 90412

based on that depth chart from 2016, here's a prediction for day 1 of camp:

End: Garvin / Patchan / Walker
Nose: Bethel / Ford / Martin
Tackle: Silvera / Nnoruka / Miller
Viper: Hill / Rousseau / Harvey
Mike: Shaq / Joyner / Brooks
Will: Pinckney / McCloud / Stephenson
Striker: Finley / Frierson / Alford
LCB: Bandy / Williams / Bethel
FS: Hall / D. Smith / Knowles
Rover: Carter / Keontra / Murphy
RCB: Ivey / Blades / Couch

Advertisement
Joe played SDE last year. And was much more productive/versatile than Chad so his draft stock was confusing.

Anyway, I don’t know who will fill that spot. It’s a unique skill set I imagine.

I want another Trent Harris type. Kid was one of the best pass rushers I’ve ever seen. Well, he was the best pass rusher that I’ve personally ever seen.

Someone interviewed Quentin Williams and posted it on YouTube a couple of hours ago. Kid don’t sound like much of a rah rah guy but he might be a **** of a pass rusher.

based on that depth chart from 2016, here's a prediction for day 1 of camp:

End: Garvin / Patchan / Walker
Nose: Bethel / Ford / Martin
Tackle: Silvera / Nnoruka / Miller
Viper: Hill / Rousseau / Harvey
Mike: Shaq / Joyner / Brooks
Will: Pinckney / McCloud / Stephenson
Striker: Finley / Frierson / Alford
LCB: Bandy / Williams / Bethel
FS: Hall / D. Smith / Knowles
Rover: Carter / Keontra / Murphy
RCB: Ivey / Blades / Couch
Nah. Greg is at sde with patchan and patchan will start game 1.Mcloud is also listed as a striker on the roster. And nesta isn't starting.

Advertisement
Back