So is this the game our front 7 plays up to their potential?

QuattroCane

Junior
I'll admit that we've basically played two openers, but what we've seen thus far isn't what I really expected.

Advertisement
I'll admit that we've basically played two openers, but what we've seen thus far isn't what I really expected.

They played much better against toledo especially in the interior with mcintosh and moten leading the charge who Imo played better than norton by far. Jackson was making plays, Trent Harris was a monster, chad and Garvin was making plays. The lb unit has been far more disappointing tbh. Idk what is up

Hard to expect anything from the dl when slot wr is wide open off the line,and the ball is gone is two seconds

Not sure what you expect when our DB's play automatic bail and our DE's are dropping into coverage.

They played much better against toledo especially in the interior with mcintosh and moten leading the charge who Imo played better than norton by far. Jackson was making plays, Trent Harris was a monster, chad and Garvin was making plays. The lb unit has been far more disappointing tbh. Idk what is up

Its all about the offensive scheme we play against.

Bethune runs an RPO type of offense and they threw the ball 40 times. The lbs are pretty much stuck forcing QB to committing while defending the short pass.

Toledo runs a lot of spread and has an excellent passing game. They threw the ball 50 times. The lbs were in coverage a bunch...

What I didn't like were the mis-tackles!

Advertisement
Yea the toledo QB was slinging quickly , our D-line should do better against duke

Plus duke qb runs mad slow

If Duke wants to try to throw the ball downfield, they're in for a long night. I'm sure they've seen plenty of film and will continue to attack our DB's with quick drops and short passes. Reggie White isn't getting sacks against a QB who throws the ball in less than 2 seconds.

The number of bad missed tackles I saw from Mike Smith in the hole at the LOS was horrifying and I didn't even watch that much tape. Also, Perry was completely lost and got abused in pass coverage. #25 WR for Toledo was his man and wide open every time. The problem appears to be depth. Per Manny, we seemed to have lost our conditioning with Irma and the layoff so we need to plug in these JAGs, who aren't Miami caliber players of what we expect to see.

If Duke wants to try to throw the ball downfield, they're in for a long night. I'm sure they've seen plenty of film and will continue to attack our DB's with quick drops and short passes. Reggie White isn't getting sacks against a QB who throws the ball in less than 2 seconds.

That's what has me the most concerned Duke's staff has always been good at gameplanning/scheme it seems especially vs Miami. Throw in a pretty good QB...

Advertisement
A couple of things. First off we have seen the front 4 get dragged down by a poorly performing secondary and LB depth is nonexistent. Teams have neutralized the front 4 by spreading us out and taking advantage of mismatches with our base defense. The first 2 opponents have found it easy to hit quick passes against a back seven that can't get on the same page.

If the secondary somehow shows significant improvement this Friday then our front 7 will look infinitely better. Also the less we see Perry and Owens at LB the better off we will be. Those 2 have been plain bad while Mike Smith has been invisible. Depth at LB looks to be a huge concern right behind the secondary.

A couple of things. First off we have seen the front 4 get dragged down by a poorly performing secondary and LB depth is nonexistent. Teams have neutralized the front 4 by spreading us out and taking advantage of mismatches with our base defense. The first 2 opponents have found it easy to hit quick passes against a back seven that can't get on the same page.

If the secondary somehow shows significant improvement this Friday then our front 7 will look infinitely better. Also the less we see Perry and Owens at LB the better off we will be. Those 2 have been plain bad while Mike Smith has been invisible. Depth at LB looks to be a huge concern right behind the secondary.

I think Smith and Carter should get groomed for that Safety / WLB position. In the short term, I would use Finley and Knowles... We need the speed!

The front 7 has been just fine against the run, it's the pass def that's bringing the unit down as a whole

Advertisement
We need the best 4 db's in the game at all times and Delaney ain't one of them. Like I read earlier, put DJ Dallas in there. He sure as **** ain't helping us at WR. Time to Delaney to get splinters.

Advertisement
Not sure what you expect when our DB's play automatic bail and our DE's are dropping into coverage.

DE's are dropping into coverage because Toledo was throwin the ball quick. Why have 4-6 rushers when the ball is out before they could straight line the QB?

I don't understand the complaining about dropping back a DE every now and then against a team that is religiously letting the ball go on quick hitches, and trusting 3 D-Lineman (who are supposed to be elite right?) to get to the QB if he holds it longer than the norm for the game.

From what I have seen of Duke's OL we should push them around all night.

Unless they go max protection, but then we should be able to cover their receivers much easier than Toledo's if they chose to do so.

The defense will be fine i think we cause some turnovers and impose our will weather will be nice. Our offense is gonna help alot cause dukes defense doesnt stand a chance.

Advertisement
Back