So in the baseball tourney

Miami04

Senior
There is zero difference in being a 3 seed vs a 2 seed correct? Seems a lot of 3 seeds got easier routs to the Supers than us.

Wonder if there is a way to punish a 3 seed more going forward? Possibly matching them up with the 1 seed.

Advertisement
There is zero difference in being a 3 seed vs a 2 seed correct? Seems a lot of 3 seeds got easier routs to the Supers than us.

Wonder if there is a way to punish a 3 seed more going forward? Possibly matching them up with the 1 seed.

Say what? A #3 seed has to play a #2 seed, who had a better season. A #2 seed plays a #3 seed, who had a worse season. Would you rather play Central Michigan or Tennessee?

Matching the #3 with the #1 means the #2 gets to play the worst team in the regional. Think about that for a second.

Say what? A #3 seed has to play a #2 seed, who had a better season. A #2 seed plays a #3 seed, who had a worse season. Would you rather play Central Michigan or Tennessee?

Matching the #3 with the #1 means the #2 gets to play the worst team in the regional. Think about that for a second.

I agree with you, but I think the OP's point assumes that 2 and 3 seeds are similar in quality. If so, their paths to Omaha are basically the same. Kind of like an 8/9 in the basketball tournament.

The difference is that there are only 4 seeds in baseball, but 16 in basketball. In baseball, a 2 seed is the equivalent of anywhere between a 5 and 8 seed in basketball, and a 3 seed is the equivalent of anywhere between a 9 and a 12. Seeds in the baseball tournament therefore include teams with wider ranges of quality than seeds in the basketball tournament.

I guess it's possible that if a strong 3 is matched up against a weak 2, that they would have an easier path than some 2s.

Advertisement
We got hosed. Period end of story

**** straight we did.

what is unfathomable to me, is that the NCAA doesn't even PRETEND it is without an SEC bias, and a UM animus.

CTCANE, have you seen this NCAA TV ad, with Jerry RIce? the one where the slogan is: "NCAA, prioritizing academics, well, being, and fairness?"

i really thought it was an SNL spoof.

athlete well being? seriously?

fairness??? for whom? SEC football public universities and Nick Saban's bag men?

prioritizing academics? where at places like Auburn, LSU, and FSU, the athlete literacy rate rivals that of the female population in the South Sudan??

if it wasn't so tragic and horrifying, it would be hysterical.

In '15 and '16 we had ridiculously easy paths to Omaha. **** happens.

That's the way I see it.

I want DiMare to turn this thing back STRONG, or I want to go a different direction ASAP in a few years.

I don't want to coast to Supers and/or CWS appearances to be outclassed by superior ballclubs. Sure, that can and will happen...but if your tested during the season and regional, it likely will result in a deserved outcome.

This year we were much improved from last year. I would have loved for us to host, but I knew it was just because I wanted our young squad to have the best chance to get to a Super. What bothered me is what I figured would be waiting them once they got to one of the projected sites and would they be ready.

This is arguably the toughest regional site. Win or lose, this will likely strengthen this squad.

UM

Last edited:
Advertisement

I get that. What I’m saying is that in baseball your path to a championship is not different at all if you are a 2 or 3 seed. Which to me seems a bit weird considering the drop off from 2 to 3 seeds.

It’s the nature of the beast but it’s crazy that in baseball, a sport that bad teams win a higher percentage of the time than any other sport, teams that are last 4 in could with one win put a top #25 ranked team in the country in a hole so deep they can’t get out.

There’s no fixing it and I may be the only one that thinks this way.

**** straight we did.

what is unfathomable to me, is that the NCAA doesn't even PRETEND it is without an SEC bias, and a UM animus.

CTCANE, have you seen this NCAA TV ad, with Jerry RIce? the one where the slogan is: "NCAA, prioritizing academics, well, being, and fairness?"

i really thought it was an SNL spoof.

athlete well being? seriously?

fairness??? for whom? SEC football public universities and Nick Saban's bag men?

prioritizing academics? where at places like Auburn, LSU, and FSU, the athlete literacy rate rivals that of the female population in the South Sudan??

if it wasn't so tragic and horrifying, it would be hysterical.

If we are good enough to be a one seed we should be good enough to make it out of this regional. Play your hand.

Advertisement
We got hosed. Period end of story

How did we get hosed? The top 16 teams get to host. We didn't finish in the top 16 in any of the below:

-RPI
-USA Today
-D1 Baseball
-Baseball America
-Collegiate Baseball
-NCBWA

Furthermore, the other ACC team that was on the bubble for hosting, UNC, not only finished in the top 16 basically everywhere, but beat us 3 out of 4 times, including in an elimination game in the ACC tournament - and then went on to win the whole thing. We didn't deserve to host.

We can nitpick which regional we were sent to, but that seems to be based mostly on geography.

How did we get hosed? The top 16 teams get to host. We didn't finish in the top 16 in any of the below:

-RPI
-USA Today
-D1 Baseball
-Baseball America
-Collegiate Baseball
-NCBWA

Furthermore, the other ACC team that was on the bubble for hosting, UNC, not only finished in the top 16 basically everywhere, but beat us 3 out of 4 times, including in an elimination game in the ACC tournament - and then went on to win the whole thing. We didn't deserve to host.

We can nitpick which regional we were sent to, but that seems to be based mostly on geography.
We got hosed not because we arent a #1 seed. we got hosed being pared with a Super Regional Host. Should have been pared with #9-16 seed

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back