Off-Topic So, I'm Attempting To Join The Army..

TerragonSix

Itsa Me, Mario!
At 37. (National Guard)

Nearly twenty years ago, I joined the Air Force and quit during basic training. Its something I have regretted for most of my life. Ten years ago, I tried to join the Navy, but was laughed out of the recruiting office.

A few months ago, I decided to give it one more try. I scored a 95 on the ASVAB, went on a diet, and lost 30lbs to pass the physical. I had to include three character references.

All the documentation went to Army brass to see if they'll grant me a waiver. Even after all these years, I have this burning feeling in my gut to serve. I *want* to serve my country.

The reason I guess I mentioned this on the board because even after this loss to UNC normally I'd drown my sorrows with Johnny Walker Black. Instead I am putting my shoes on and putting in some road work. Havent drank in three months. Or had soda.

Anyway, I know it sucks we lost, but there is still things to enjoy other than mediocre Hurricane football. Even if I dont get a second chance; I will keep endeavoring to make myself a better person.

I hope this finds you all well tonight.

Advertisement
At 37. (National Guard)

Nearly twenty years ago, I joined the Air Force and quit during basic training. Its something I have regretted for most of my life. Ten years ago, I tried to join the Navy, but was laughed out of the recruiting office.

A few months ago, I decided to give it one more try. I scored a 95 on the ASVAB, went on a diet, and lost 30lbs to pass the physical. I had to include three character references.

All the documentation went to Army brass to see if they'll grant me a waiver. Even after all these years, I have this burning feeling in my gut to serve. I *want* to serve my country.

The reason I guess I mentioned this on the board because even after this loss to UNC normally I'd drown my sorrows with Johnny Walker Black. Instead I am putting my shoes on and putting in some road work. Havent drank in three months. Or had soda.

Anyway, I know it sucks we lost, but there is still things to enjoy other than mediocre Hurricane football. Even if I dont get a second chance; I will keep endeavoring to make myself a better person.

Good luck to you. I hope it works out for you.

Good luck to you. I hope it works out for you.
I dont know if I'm getting in, tbh. Luckily, the Army needs skilled truck drivers. If I get in, I'll get a 20k bonus and a promotion to E-4 when I get out of basic.

In one of my recommendation letters, my Marine Corp buddy said, "Yeah, when he gets his ******* *** in shape, he'll be great."

He was an infantryman in Iraq and Afghan for ten years, and has a great way of cutting through bull**** in conversation, lol.

At 37. (National Guard)

You're right! There ARE still things to enjoy other than football.

The Army allowed me to go to foreign lands, fight, and kill folks I'd never met before. And the greatest part - ammo was free!

Just joking. A little bit. Well - a sliver.

Maybe you'd have an interest in the Reserves? That might be easier - and I do respect your drive to continue to serve. Sometimes I miss the action, but then again - I sleep pretty well now - for the first time in my life.

They require three references? Well, that kills it for me . . .

Good luck, brother.

You're right! There ARE still things to enjoy other than football.

The Army allowed me to go to foreign lands, fight, and kill folks I'd never met before. And the greatest part - ammo was free!

Just joking. A little bit. Well - a sliver.

Maybe you'd have an interest in the Reserves? That might be easier - and I do respect your drive to continue to serve. Sometimes I miss the action, but then again - I sleep pretty well now - for the first time in my life.

They require three references? Well, that kills it for me . . .

Good luck, brother.
Doing the National Guard brother.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back