So If Everyone Sucks at recruiting now...

Can we keep it real...it was the #9 class in the country. It was good...but lets pump the brakes on claiming it was something to hold up as a standard in comparison to this disaster of a class. It wasn't like he was getting the #1 recruiting class in the country, which Randy did, FWIW. It was a nice, solid class after a good season...but to be fair, that class didn't finish particularly strong nor did it have the top South Florida talent as they for the most part went elsewhere.

It wasn't a national championship caliber class and late targets failed. We ended up scrambling for sleeper defensive tackles instead of multiple top tier kids locked up.

Definitely an improvement but we needed to do progressively better than that. Instead this group may essentially nullify last year.

Jim Harbaugh's situation is what we need to mirror. He fell off into the 20s last year after two groups well within the Top 10. The difference between Ohio State and Michigan's recruiting last season was shocking. But this year Michigan has rebounded back to prior range.

Advertisement
Recruiting is selling. Anyone can sell their product when it’s hot. The turnover chain made Richt’s offense at least somewhat appealing by hiding its deficiencies.

In the words of @k9cane “this offense is Blockbuster video in the Netflix era”.

Would you buy a Blockbuster membership right now?

Advertisement
How the **** are you going to be rocking a boss don biggavel avatar and defending this mediocre joke of a coach.

Not defending anything. I'll reserve my judgment until February 6th. I'm not jumping out the window off of rumors and sauces like most of these clowns on here. Let it play out.

Last season we took advantage of the deepest secondary class in Dade history and stacked up at the WR and RB positions. Outside of that though, it was a woefully incomplete class missing out entirely on many key position groups and got us nowhere closer to being able to compete for playoff spots.

Let's not start rewriting history and pretend that it got us any closer to beating Clemson, let alone Bama.

@Bennubird what’s cold is that even after Golden was exposed that yr collapsing after that 7-0 start, the following yr we hit on the 14th ranked class.

Lol. Richt goes from top 10 to top 30. Wtf?!
Rell that's what I don't understand...you crush 2018 and then 2019 class looks like complete dog 💩 and if we struggle next year 2020 class is gonna be decommits and players who belong at a lower tier school.

Advertisement
Rell that's what I don't understand...you crush 2018 and then 2019 class looks like complete dog 💩 and if we struggle next year 2020 class is gonna be decommits and players who belong at a lower tier school.

Exactly. Like I know I’ve been clowning a lot lately, but on the real my g, I’m really concerned and my mind is truly boggled by all of this. U couldn’t tell me w the hiring of Richt we would be in this position. No, he wasn’t my first choice, but from the look on Finebald’s face, it’s like everyone knew we would be contenders, at least, every yr especially recruiting. I’m not lying when I say I truly feel like I’m in an upside down world right now. Nothing makes sense.

@Bennubird what’s cold is that even after Golden was exposed that yr collapsing after that 7-0 start, the following yr we hit on the 14th ranked class.

Lol. Richt goes from top 10 to top 30. Wtf?!

Indeed Relly. Lots to be frustrated with and concerned about our program.

Canes keep thinking that if we add this player on offense or that player that things will turn around, and to an extent that way of thinking is logical. But if you're wanting to field a team that is going to compete for a national championship, then incremental changes are not going to fix what's wrong with our football program.

Our whole philosophy and approach needs to change. Richt has to be more adaptable and more willing to change. Look at how Saban has adapted to the talent that he currently has on offense. I believe his 2017 class was loaded with talented receivers - Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, etc. Some other poster, perhaps @The Franchise, posted about how he's gone from a power running team to more of a passing attack to take advantage of that talent. Mind you Saban has been winning over the years with different offensive coordinators, but he's had former head coaches as coordinators. Every decision they make seems to have national championship and remaining out in front informing it. By Richt's staff decisions, he aims to compete with the Coastal Division of the ACC, and I am not attempting at humor in saying that. It's truly disheartening.

Just like you need to match rosters with your competition. You also need to have a comparable staff. You might not have all the consultants and so forth that Bama has, but at the key coordinator and position coach positions on your staff, you had better have coaches who can teach at a comparable level as your competitors. In fact, if we don't have the same level of talent on our roster, then we really need our coaches to be able to out teach the game to our players, i.e., player development, and our coordinators need to be able to out scheme and out strategize those more talented teams.

To this point, I'm not seeing that. @Liberty City El

Last edited:
Indeed Relly. Lots to be frustrated with and concerned about our program.

Canes keep thinking that if we add this player on offense or that player that things will turn around, and to an extent that way of thinking is logical. But if you're wanting to field a team that is going to compete for a national championship, and then incremental changes are not going to fix what's wrong with our football program.

Our whole philosophy and approach needs to change. Richt has to be more adaptable and more willing to change. Look at how Saban has adapted to the talent that he currently has on offense. I believe his 2017 class was loaded with talented receivers - Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, etc. Some other poster, perhaps @The Franchise, posted about how he's gone from a power running team to more of a passing attack to take advantage of that talent. Mind you Saban has been winning over the year with different offensive coordinators, but he's had former head coaches as coordinators. Every decision they make seems to have national championship and remaining out in front informing it. By Richt's staff decisions, he aims to compete with the Coastal Division of the ACC, and I am not attempting at humor in saying that. It's truly disheartening.

Just like you need to match rosters with your competition. You also need to have a comparable staff. You might not have all the consultants and so forth that Bama has, but at the key coordinator and position coach positions on your staff, you had better have coaches who can teach at a comparable level as your competitors. In fact, if we don't have the same level of talent on our roster, then we really need our coaches to be able to out teach the game to our players, i.e., player development, and our coordinators need to be able to out scheme and out strategize those more talented teams.

To this point, I'm not seeing that. @Liberty City El

Brother, appreciate this post.

To be great, you can’t be afraid to surround yourself around ppl that will push and challenge you.

My biggest concern w/ this staff was who was there to push Richt? It was the same w Golden’s staff. If you have a staff full of yes men, then no one is there to tell you what’s wrong. When yes men are always in your corner, then when will you know something is wrong?

We have an infrastructure issue. It’s not talent, clearly. We’ve had an infrastructure issue since Clappy. Whether it was too lienient with players (Clappy), problematic coaching (Randy), more loyal to a friend than the program (Golden) or an inability to adjust w time (Richt), the infrastructure is broken. It doesn’t matter if we signed each No. 1 player at their respective position, we will still fail.

Clearly we’re still putting out NFL caliber players who have maintained long careers, even during our lean yrs, so we don’t have a talent issue; our issue is coaching & development. If Richt adapts by hiring an OC that can push the envelope, and a subtitle OL coach that can develop, we’ll be OK...if not, then we’ll have to wait til we get the next coach.

Brother, appreciate this post.

To be great, you can’t be afraid to surround yourself around ppl that will push and challenge you.

My biggest concern w/ this staff was who was there to push Richt? It was the same w Golden’s staff. If you have a staff full of yes men, then no one is there to tell you what’s wrong. When yes men are always in your corner, then when will you know something is wrong?

We have an infrastructure issue. It’s not talent, clearly. We’ve had an infrastructure issue since Clappy. Whether it was too lienient with players (Clappy), problematic coaching (Randy), more loyal to a friend than the program (Golden) or an inability to adjust w time (Richt), the infrastructure is broken. It doesn’t matter if we signed each No. 1 player at their respective position, we will still fail.

Clearly we’re still putting out NFL caliber players who have maintained long careers, even during our lean yrs, so we don’t have a talent issue; our issue is coaching & development. If Richt adapts by hiring an OC that can push the envelope, and a subtitle OL coach that can develop, we’ll be OK...if not, then we’ll have to wait til we get the next coach.

The infrastructure issue, to which you allude, really refers to a lack of commitment on the part of the administration at UM to contend for national titles in football. That's been much talked about here, but I think that's the real source of concern because everything else rests on that commitment.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back