SO I NEED HELP FROM ANY PROGRAMMERS

I'm interested in becoming a full stack developer.

But I'm unsure which degree to pursue in order to achieve this I was thinking about software engineering.

But I was wondering if there are any other degrees that would get me the knowledge to Become one.

I'm 29 and I'm getting old lol I can't stand my job anymore. I've always wanted to be a developer.

Thanks for any info. A middle age confused person. Lol

Advertisement
if you must have the 4 year degree. software engineering, computer science, computer information system are all fine.

to be honest, in this field.. its less about the degree and more about your talent. you could learn all you need for free online(or at least, just the cost of an internet connection and a computer) if you were truly self motivated.

the degree will help you get an interview and a longer look after, but do a cost/benefit analysis. know your self motivation level. and then decide.

especially if you already have another 4 year degree

I'm motivated I'm just not sure a corporate job would be achievable without the degree.

Honestly I don't really want to teach myself programming or engineering I don't think I want to learn it that way as I'd probably teach myself bad habits.

I see quite a few people saying they've taught themselves coding but I'd feel more comfortable having a degree I'm looking to pursue a graduate degree as well. My end goal is CTO I'm sure I can best be in position for this kinda job. With multiple degrees and e
Experience. I wouldn't think you could get this position without both. Or...............?

Last edited:
Do you have any BS or BA degree? Possibly higher? There are a lot of people where I work with all kinds of degrees you would not think would go toward programming or IT at all.

The school will teach you some basic stuff and terminology but most of what you learn is from where you work. Especially since each place has its own way of doing things, tools, and what they want done.

I'm motivated I'm just not sure a corporate job would be achievable without the degree.

Honestly I don't really want to teach myself programming or engineering I don't think I want to learn it that way as I'd probably teach myself bad habits.

I see quite a few people saying they've taught themselves coding but I'd feel more comfortable having a degree I'm looking to pursue a graduate degree as well. My end goal is CTO I'm sure I can best be in position for this kinda job. With multiple degrees and e
Experience. I wouldn't think you could get this position without both. Or...............?

perfectly understandable. im not merely suggesting self taught, just you and a book. there are A LOT of free courses you can take from many different resources.

to start, just check out https://www.coursera.org/

https://www.coursera.org/learn/python

https://www.coursera.org/browse/computer-science/software-development?languages=en

Last edited:
Advertisement
I would suggest c# (c sharpe), c++, java, javascript, jquery, sql server, oracle for things you want to focus on learning. Then there is also general terminology that you need to know that go between all different languages.

But I'm unsure which degree to pursue in order to achieve this I was thinking about software engineering.

But I was wondering if there are any other degrees that would get me the knowledge to Become one.

I'm 29 and I'm getting old lol I can't stand my job anymore. I've always wanted to be a developer.

Where do you live?

Advertisement

Where do you live?

I'm in South Florida basically port st lucie

If you wan't a degree to get you hired as an engineer, it's computer science. But a degree alone won't guarantee you a job.

Start contributing to projects on github and maintain a presence on there. I've interviewed people who post their github accounts and that can weigh pretty heavily since you can actually put your code on display.

Start practicing on https://www.hackerrank.com in whatever language you want to improve on. Your profile there is another thing to put on a resume and some companies use hackerrank as part of their interview process.

As far as languages, it's tough to say what you should learn since there are so many options. Javascript and CSS are a must for client side technologies. C# or java are good options to learn object-oriented programming. A large percent of companies end up using one of those as their server side options. You don't need to learn both out the gate since they are pretty similar. Javascript and CSS are a must for client side technologies. For databases, get familiar with SQL (relational database) and MongoDb (non-relational). Mongo has a really good online course. And finally, Javascript and CSS are a must for client side technologies.

Here's a link of a yearly survey that shows trends in the industry.
Stack Overflow Developer Survey 2016 Results

Last edited:
Advertisement
-ps- In interviews, it's really important to make it known that your more motivated than the next guy and are willing to learn things on your own time. Most people won't know all the languages and patterns of a company that they are interviewing for. The companies will have some learning materials but you'll probably have to spend time learning on your own to get a leg up.

-pps- If you get hired as a full time developer out the gate, you're pretty lucky. You're most likely going to be looking at a paid internship for some period of time before getting hired full-time.

if you must have the 4 year degree. software engineering, computer science, computer information system are all fine.

to be honest, in this field.. its less about the degree and more about your talent. you could learn all you need for free online(or at least, just the cost of an internet connection and a computer) if you were truly self motivated.

the degree will help you get an interview and a longer look after, but do a cost/benefit analysis. know your self motivation level. and then decide.

especially if you already have another 4 year degree

Experience is the big thing here as well. School will only teach you the theory and basics. When it comes to this field, you need experience. Constantly setting things up, it breaking and you having to fix things. Same could be said of coding concepts such as data algorithms, understanding of classes, etc...

I hire software developers. I don't even look at degrees. All I care is that you can do the job, work with a team, and are self directed(you do not require hand holding). Energy and passion in interviews are extremely important. All that being said, our interviews are brutal and we are very picky about who we hire.

Unfortunately the tech industry in florida is not great (coming from denver) so starting out you will prob get paid ****. However, the most important thing is getting experience. About the 4 year mark you will start to see significant gains in pay due to experience and after 7/8sh years the world is your oyster. All of this is assuming you have at least average talent and interview well.

Advertisement

Learning properly is very important or else you will develop bad habits and others will hate reading your code. That being said you can learn this online. As one other user pointed out, getting involved in projects is big because it gives you something to point to and prove you can do the work. Depending on what you do now it may not be as hard to find a job as others have mentioned. If a company believes you understand business and can code you will find a job.

Former IT guy here. Programming languages are similar. If you learn one well, you can figure out others on your own. IT is a tricky field, especially for technical jobs (vs. functional). Since the early 2000's there has been an invasion of Indians along with outsourcing of core IT operations by mid to large size companies. So the pay has gotten much lower since I left the field a dozen years ago. The problem with Indians is that they are good sales people, tend to over-promise and under-deliver. I have interviewed many Indians that swear that they know every language and function under the sun, which is impossible to do, but they will claim it just to get the job (the quite ones are actually quite good). And the naïve managers (and there are many) will hire them. So if you can do the same, you might be ok, for a while, until your job is outsourced -- same thing here, Indian off-shore firms will promise the world. My friends left in the field are suffering and waiting for their time to retire and get out. But if you must get into the field, get to the functional side. They do limited programming but know the business functional needs and match them to the applications (and vice versa). Harder to outsource functional because the clients need someone onsite. But a lot of outsourcing firms have moved onshore so they can get this business as well. Another safer career would be hardware. Client wants quick onsite service here as well. Ultimately, get your MBA and move to management, hopefully senior management. Or work for a smaller company, but harder work because they want someone who can do everything. Another good field would be healthcare IT. Get in it while you can.

I would suggest c# (c sharpe), c++, java, javascript, jquery, sql server, oracle for things you want to focus on learning. Then there is also general terminology that you need to know that go between all different languages.

Question are you suggesting learning those independent of my studies?

Yes. Those are the big languages right now. Jquery is built on Javascript so there is some crossover on some of these. Personally between c#, c++, and Java which are the object oriented languages I am partial to c#. Between sql server and Oracle which are the databases I am partial to sql server. Though I don't know your area and what jobs might be there so it would help to at least see all of them.

School and training probably won't expose you to all of them so some will be on your own to learn a little.

Do you have any degree already? Because it is more so having any BA or BS degree.

If you work for a local company now do they have local programmers? That would be a place to start and get experience.

I graduated from one of Miami's Full stack coding bootcamps. I'd try to teach yourself for "x" amount of time and then accelerate the pace by considering a fully immersive bootcamp - in Miami or away, depending on your resources. If you have any specific questions or want details, shoot me a message.

Advertisement
Back