So about that Dade/Broward/Palm Beach talent ...

High schools with most NFL players drafted since 2006:
1. STA (Fort Lauderdale)
2. Glenville (Cleveland, OH)
3. Norland (Miami)
Poly (Long Beach, CA)
5. Central (Miami)
Northwestern (Miami)

7. Blanche Ely (Pompano Beach)
De La Salle (Concord, CA)
Stephenson (Stone Mountain, GA)
10. Atlantic (Delray Beach)
Glades Central (Belle Glade)

Chandler, AZ
Colton, CA
Crenshaw (Los Angeles)
DeSoto, TX
Dorsey (Los Angeles)
Evangelical Christian (Shreveport, LA)

That's 4 of the top 6, 5 of the top 9 and 7 of the top 14 NFL factories — located within a three-county area in South Florida!

Yet more proof that while the LA, Atlanta, Dallas and Houston areas produce a lot really good football talent, Greater Miami is on a whole different level.

LINK:High school programs that have produced most NFL draft picks since 2006

Advertisement
This is why if we keep a lot of kids home, as it looks to be the case for #Storm18 , then we should be in the national title picture every year.

Quenton Nelson would have been drafted high if he left. That is one that we should have grabbed from Red Bank.

Advertisement
Yet more proof that while the LA, Atlanta, Dallas and Houston areas produce a lot really good football talent, Greater Miami is on a whole different level.

Standard Swag commentary follows, skip if you've heard this before....

Miami is definitely the top metro area in America for producing talent and I don't think it's particularly close, but this stat is apples and oranges with regards to DFW/Houston. Dallas and Houston kids don't get to transfer wherever they want like kids do in South Florida & almost every other school on that list (mad props to Glades Central). DFW powerhouses are lucky to get 1 impact transfer a season, and those are heavily scrutinized in the media, and often get vetoed by the school the kid left or flat out overturned by the UIL. The head coach at Desoto (which is on that list) is about to get ran out of town after winning the school's first state championship because the community is ****ed off at him trying to bring in outsider kids into the school (he supposedly found a QB/WR duo from Louisiana - allegedly). The school board has been in gridlock for over a week now after half of them tried to get him ousted. Texas football is much more community driven and the people - for the most part - don't want the mercenary programs. There's a price to pay for that - you don't see the schools with 15 D1 kids appear on their rosters as soon as they hire a Roland Smith or Ice Harris type guy - but it's also much better in some ways as well.

Let's be real - with the money and emphasis on football in DFW & GHA, if the rules got abolished and things got opened up with recruiting & private schools like they are in Florida, you would see STA type-factories all over Texas, too... not to mention, the inner city schools would get to come back, too. To the same degree as SoFla? Who knows, but the list would look a whole lot different.

Last edited:

Miami is definitely the top metro area in America for producing talent and I don't think it's particularly close, but this stat is apples and oranges with regards to DFW/Houston. Dallas and Houston kids don't get to transfer wherever they want like kids do in South Florida & almost every other school on that list (mad props to Glades Central). DFW powerhouses are lucky to get 1 impact transfer a season, and those are heavily scrutinized in the media, and often get vetoed by the school the kid left or flat out overturned by the UIL. The head coach at Desoto (which is on that list) is about to get ran out of town after winning the school's first state championship because the community is ****ed off at him trying to bring in outsider kids into the school (he supposedly found a QB/WR duo from Louisiana - allegedly). The school board has been in gridlock for over a week now after half of them tried to get him ousted. Texas football is much more community driven and the people - for the most part - don't want the mercenary programs. There's a price to pay for that - you don't see the schools with 15 D1 kids appear on their rosters as soon as they hire a Roland Smith or Ice Harris type guy - but it's also much better in some ways as well.

Let's be real - with the money and emphasis on football in DFW & GHA, if the rules got abolished and things got opened up with recruiting & private schools like they are in Florida, you would see STA type-factories all over Texas, too... not to mention, the inner city schools would get to come back, too. To the same degree as SoFla? Who knows, but the list would look a whole lot different.

I don't know man....A few years ago in the grassy when we would go at it I would actually be there with you...but ****....the big dogs in tx have fell off a cliff. UT sucks, tx a&m never was good...I dk...worst part about it they got awhole bunch of talent supplanted from Katrina with them NOLA kids in TX.

Even with all the transfer kids etc, the winning is still reciprocal and teams have been producing....Norland hasn't won since duke and company. Carol City is now back...so expect some kids to come out of their rather soon...Booker t Washington likely has 2-5 picks in the next 2 years..and Miami Central/MNW wont stop anytime soon...that's just in DADE...STA is a well oiled machine...and American Heritage is about to go on a run of draft picks in the next 4 years.

Advertisement
This is just amazing!
High schools with most NFL players drafted since 2006:
1. STA (Fort Lauderdale)
2. Glenville (Cleveland, OH)
3. Norland (Miami)
Poly (Long Beach, CA)
5. Central (Miami)
Northwestern (Miami)

7. Blanche Ely (Pompano Beach)
De La Salle (Concord, CA)
Stephenson (Stone Mountain, GA)
10. Atlantic (Delray Beach)
Glades Central (Belle Glade)

Chandler, AZ
Colton, CA
Crenshaw (Los Angeles)
DeSoto, TX
Dorsey (Los Angeles)
Evangelical Christian (Shreveport, LA)

That's 4 of the top 6, 5 of the top 9 and 7 of the top 14 NFL factories — located within a three-county area in South Florida!

LINK:High school programs that have produced most NFL draft picks since 2006

Advertisement

Lots of good points here, but a couple things ...

1. You point out that high school football in Texas is community driven, which in conjunction with a very powerful HS Football Coaches Association and strict rules enforcement by the UIL (the Texas equivalent of the FHSAA), transfers are very limited.

That, of course, is the opposite of the free-for-all we see in Florida high school football.

BUT ... my question is this: If kids aren't allowed to transfer, why AREN'T inner-city schools in Houston and Dallas doing well? They're not losing kids right, other than a handful getting pulled by the non-UIL elite private high schools in those areas.

Where are former powerhouses like Dallas Carter or Houston Yates? They — or any other "inner city" schools — are nowhere to be found among the elite teams of the last couple decades

Meanwhile in Miami Dade, you got:

Booker T. with 5 State Titles and 3 nationally-ranked teams since 2007
-AND-
Central with 5 State Titles and 5 nationally-ranked teams since 2010
-AND-
Northwestern with 3 State Titles since 2003, including a national championship in '07
-AND-
Norland with 2 State Titles since 2002, including unbeaten team in 2011 that was nationally ranked
-AND-
Carol City with 2 State Titles since 2003, including last season
-AND-
Southridge (like MCCHS) restoring its tradition with a State Title last year.

You really think a bunch of schools in Houston or Dallas could pull ALL THAT off?

Just to add:

I think the biggest difference is that football is unquestionably the No. 1 sport in inner-city Miami — no ifs, ands or buts about it.

There's really no other major city in America like it.

I think basketball has made big in-roads in both Dallas and Houston -- just look how many NBA players and college stars come from those two places.

It only follows to reason that more and more inner city kids in Texas are focusing on basketball.

I don't know man....A few years ago in the grassy when we would go at it I would actually be there with you...but ****....the big dogs in tx have fell off a cliff. UT sucks, tx a&m never was good...I dk...worst part about it they got awhole bunch of talent supplanted from Katrina with them NOLA kids in TX.

Even with all the transfer kids etc, the winning is still reciprocal and teams have been producing....Norland hasn't won since duke and company. Carol City is now back...so expect some kids to come out of their rather soon...Booker t Washington likely has 2-5 picks in the next 2 years..and Miami Central/MNW wont stop anytime soon...that's just in DADE...STA is a well oiled machine...and American Heritage is about to go on a run of draft picks in the next 4 years.

On phone, will reply more later, but TX kids did awesome in this draft, just playing for OOS schools for the most part. Go check out how many TX kids went early.

Advertisement
This is one subject I refuse to debate anybody about. (which is rare)

The evidence is overwhelming.

Nobody in the country plays football like we do in South Florida.

"I'm not scared of competition, I'm from Florida" - Jack Allison circa 2015

Just to add:

I think the biggest difference is that football is unquestionably the No. 1 sport in inner-city Miami — no ifs, ands or buts about it.

There's really no other major city in America like it.

I think basketball has made big in-roads in both Dallas and Houston -- just look how many NBA players and college stars come from those two places.

It only follows to reason that more and more inner city kids in Texas are focusing on basketball.

I don't know DFW, but in ATL you don't see inner city schools win at football because they can't compete for coaches that single HS districts can. Looking at the 8 teams that won state last year, only one would I not send my kid too (Cedar Grove).

Advertisement
Back