So 20 commits already. How many left?

MizCane

Senior
How many spots do we have open? We all want Bethel, Dixon, Berrios, Cook and at least another DT. I sure hope we have more fat cut off after this season to fit all these recruits for next Feb.

Advertisement
Not everyone is going to stay committed and that's the truth to it. We actually have 22 if you count Griffin & lockley. The numbers don't really matter, if we are "full" & the a good player wants to come here the staff will make room

Advertisement
I realize that. I guess my real question is, forget the commits. Today, how many can we sign in Feb? I know a lot can happen btw now and then with transfers and other BS but how many are open right now?

I realize that. I guess my real question is, forget the commits. Today, how many can we sign in Feb? I know a lot can happen btw now and then with transfers and other BS but how many are open right now?

No one knows, not even the staff. They have a range of kids they are looking to take, but there's always going to be attrition plus we will be getting scholarship reductions soon.

cook, lane/TR/dixon(2 at the most), berrios/jojo, ravian pierce(window might be closed), wynn/knox (i dont think we get either), william/thomas/brown/street/harris (optimism says 3 but maybe 2),juco DT, bethal/lammons/(off radar dude)
high 20's

cook, lane/TR/dixon(2 at the most), berrios/jojo, ravian pierce(window might be closed), wynn/knox (i dont think we get either), william/thomas/brown/street/harris (optimism says 3 but maybe 2),juco DT, bethal/lammons/(off radar dude)
high 20's

I agree with the high 20s but everyone should not be stuck on the names we only know now. Plenty of names will pop up on the way till signing day

Advertisement
high 20's

I agree with the high 20s but everyone should not be stuck on the names we only know now. Plenty of names will pop up on the way till signing day

Recruiting at it's best just let it shake itself out

30+ this year.

Ive been working on the assumption that coach Golden will take 28-29 commitments with the intent of having 26-28 actually end up in this class. Ive seen nothing that has made me change that thought.

Golden has stated multiple times that he is not in the business of pulling recruits scholarships. Unlike a lot of other schools Golden is not about that ******* life. With that being said. We probably get 30-35. Name wise I could not tell you. there will be some movers and shakers over the course of the Fall. These current rankings are far from the final. Kids still gotta play their senior seasons.

Who is to say that some of the lower rated kids that we can really have committed won't jump up in the rankings become four star players. At that point will you still be calling certain kids projects?this discussion should truly be held after the kids play their senior seasons.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ive been working on the assumption that coach Golden will take 28-29 commitments with the intent of having 26-28 actually end up in this class. Ive seen nothing that has made me change that thought.

I agree with SFBay. Here are my numbers.
Start with 19 Seniors (incl. O'Donnell). We will play 2013 with about 80 Scholie players. [Aprox].
Subtracting the 19 Seniors from 80 leaves room for about 24 in 2014 cycle. But, we will only have about 20-21 incoming against the 2013 cycle (counting Derosier, Gilbert & O'Donnell), less the number of EEs from last January who were back-charged against 2012.(Only staff knows).
Therefore, we will be able to back-charge about 5 EEs this coming January against the 2013 cycle. Note, this assumes only 80 Scholie players this upcoming season because 85 is a 'hard' ceiling.
Again, assuming the above, that leaves room for about 29 players, plus expected attrition following 2014 Spring practice.
I would expect at least 2 QBs (Crow & Dewey) to transfer elsewhere, as they should be behind Olsen, Williams, Lassiter & 2 0r 3 other incoming recruits, who will probably be here for Spring Practice.) That would allow for about 31 openings, plus any other attrition which usually occurs. Let's guess just 2 more, leaving 33 slots.
Of course, there is a possibility that those numbers might be reduced by NCAA punative action, but we should know that by mid-September or October.
Assuming about 3 schollie reduction by NCAA, we would have about 28-30 available openings according to the above.
Also assuming that all 'committed' recruits stick (tough assumption), we now have 20 commits, plus Berios, who I consider a 'silent', or the equiviaient. Also, we must factor in Lockley and Griffin, against those numbers, assuming they don't qualify in September, but do in January.
Bottom line --- we have room for about 7 to 8 more guys. One less if Nigel Patton-Bethel commits as expected on Monday.
The train has most seats full and is pullin' out o' de station. I expect that we will have all but 3 or 4 spots filled by October 1.
Here is my analysis of the number available at each position. But remember, just as i qualified all of the above numbers with the word, about, so too the following numbers are flexible. If we take more at one position, another position must suffer.
----------
DT - 1-2 of (Clark, Holley,C. Johnson, Lamins)
DE - 1-2 of (C.Thomas, L.Carter,?)
RB - 2 of (Cook/Powell/?)
WR -2-3 of (Lane, Dixon, Brady, Randolph, JoJo)
DB - 2 of (T.Harris/Lammons/ Patton/ Kiy Hester)
LB - 1 (V.Jackson)
S - 1 of ( Gayot, Dudley-Gordon)
TE- 1 (Pierce)
OG - 1 of (Knox, Wynn)
One additional caveat --- Remember that Al looks everywhere - everywhere - and is relentless in pursuit of talent. I'm sure he has someone up his sleve we are not even aware of.

Last edited:
I just hope that we have taken all the "projects/Diamond in the rough" kids we are gonna take. People can say what they want but we have a good number of those kids committed already. We need to save the rest of the scholies for the studs and the kids who might want to jump on out of nowhere if we ball out on the field this year like I think we will.

Currently we sit at 75 ships with 18 sr's. Say that AQM, Gilbert and Derosier get in that's 78 for the fall. I'm counting 1 more to come in this fall pushing the number to 79.

So for 2014, you have just at a base point of 18 plus 6(85-79) equalling 24. Throw in your typical early NFL departures, transfers and guys that can't stay out of trouble and I can see it balloon to 29-30.

All this said, NCAA will determine the true number based on the number of ships they take away...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back