Smith and Hillery

benwbuck

Recruit
I know Mr. Ariz already mentioned Hillery is a Cane, but 247 just posted a "VIP" update on Smith and Hillery. Mostly curious about Smith. Anyone have the article? Thank you!

Advertisement
Smith expected to pick Bama, Miami still sending him a LOI

Forget the fact that I'm a Canes fan -- as a logical person, I truly do not understand this decision. Smith is, at best, the third-best WR heading to Bama, a run-first offense, thi syear. And based on the scouting reports, Smith has elite upside but may not be ready to play day 1. No doubt Bama will bring in another three or four 4* or 5* guys again next year. When is this guy gonna see the field?

I could see this guy jilting us for LSU, since it's the hometown team, but Bama is just nuts.

Advertisement
Smith expected to pick Bama, Miami still sending him a LOI

Forget the fact that I'm a Canes fan -- as a logical person, I truly do not understand this decision. Smith is, at best, the third-best WR heading to Bama, a run-first offense, thi syear. And based on the scouting reports, Smith has elite upside but may not be ready to play day 1. No doubt Bama will bring in another three or four 4* or 5* guys again next year. When is this guy gonna see the field?

I could see this guy jilting us for LSU, since it's the hometown team, but Bama is just nuts.

The whole thing with him is fishy. I know he's very low key, but the silence coming from literally everyone around him makes it seem like more of a toss up. Alabama isn't the logical choice for him...

I can't stand Alabama as much as the next non-Alabama fan, but you don't think they're selling these receivers on Sark plus number one ranked quarterback? And that's on top of all the other benefits.

I can't stand Alabama as much as the next non-Alabama fan, but you don't think they're selling these receivers on Sark plus number one ranked quarterback? And that's on top of all the other benefits.

Why should Sark be considered a transcendent offensive mind? And all of the QB talent in the world is useless to a receiver if he doesn't see the field.

Advertisement

I can definitely see where you're coming from, but at the same time I feel like it makes way more sense for a 5* recruit to go to a P5 school ( especially one like Miami) and ball out instead of going to Alabama where there are more doubts than anything. Yea they have a top QB, but they're gonna focus predominantly on running the ball and they already have a ton of top WRs. Also, the fact that Smith scheduled a late announcement might mean he's waiting to see what happens with other players Bama is targetting.

At this point everything is speculation, especially with a kid that's as low key as he is.

There isn't a ton of material on him but every quote I have seen from Smith early playing time seeemed to be the priority, which doesn't favor Bama and favors UM. Plus his comfort level with Richt, I'm gonna say he picks UM.

Will I bet money in it, no

It might get interesting with Smith if Ruggs chooses Bama as every CB at 247 projects that he will. They have three receivers enrolled from the 2017 class. He and Ruggs would be numbers 4 and 5. Townsend could play DB, but they are already loaded with more kids coming. Their QB is a TB who is a descent passer, and they have no WR coach. To me, Smith should be all UM - play early and often on a team on the upswing that sends players to the league.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back