Smart is Smart

Advertisement
To be honest osu lineup gave it away, as soon as they had fewer then usual blockers I knew something was askew and I don't know that much except watching tons of football.

What Dykes has done this year is an example of very smart coaching.

I agree on Smart making a good decision and while not as down on him as some, I do think he’s solid at best as a hc but always been a very good defensive coach.

That said: their ridiculous talent level and factory like development process he copied from Saban and the utilization/promotion of the Georgia coca-cola/mega church bag network is where his clearly biggest skill resides.

It’s why some of us can have real faith in Mario despite the numerous on field issues in year 1: he is going to dramatically raise the talent floor to the extent that a mediocre game day coach could get their way into the playoff in a couple years.
For all the things Dykes and Riley have done this year, nobody remembers that Morris was the starting QB, but got hurt. That team had a 9 win ceiling with him. They were very fortunate Duggan became the guy by default. He’s the reason they are where they are. Im certainly not downplaying what they did with Duggan, bc they turned him into a stud. Just saying they made the wrong decision out of camp.

For all the things Dykes and Riley have done this year, nobody remembers that Morris was the starting QB, but got hurt. That team had a 9 win ceiling with him. They were very fortunate Duggan became the guy by default. He’s the reason they are where they are. Im certainly not downplaying what they did with Duggan, bc they turned him into a stud. Just saying they made the wrong decision out of camp.
Duggan was a stud in high school

Advertisement
Attention to details. Awareness.
Late in the game, OSU faked a punt and got a first down to keep a drive alive.
But wait…1/2 second before the snap Smart saw OSU lined up for a fake, went a little nuts and called timeout Just in time,
No first down. OSU punted for real and Ga. Got the ball back.

The art of game management is no small thing.
Likewise was the likely instruction to have players “cramp” on OSU’s final drive.

Advertisement
^^^^

Came here to post this.

Sometimes being smart is one thing, but surrounding urself w/ a bunch of smart ppl is another. Kirby learned from Nick; u don’t always have to be the smartest or the best, but u should surround urself w/ such.

They continued to say it was seen from up stairs & alerted Smart to call a time out to adjust. To be a successful CFB team, u need an entire infrastructure. We’ve been sorely lacking in that dept.

We have the not being the "smartest guy on the sidelines " down.
Now about the surrounding himself with the smartest assistants .... hmm . Not so much.

I think this is one way how the game has really changed since we were good. The amount of infrastructure you need now is much more. You cant mom and pop it like we used to and win.

It is s multi million dollar entertainment business.... accept the reality and act accordingly

Certain Miami fans jock every and any coach not associated with Miami. It's almost like most of our fans actively hate their own program and want an excuse to cheer for anyone else. No one is saying that Smart isn't a **** good coach, we are saying that giving him credit for merely having the sound on in his headset doesn't make sense. Smart isn't an X's and O's guy, he isn't really a great game manager when you look at it, he's a great recruiter and organization guy.

Kirby Smart will likely win back to back titles, but let's be honest here: He's very similar to Dabo Swinney, in other words a guy that benefits from the flaws in the college football landscape, where richest programs win more often than not Joe Torre was a solid manager, but when he started managing a team with no budget, he magically became great. Compare that to a Joe Maddon or Art Howe, who won big with limited payrolls.

Kirby Smart is a solid coach, he wins with organization and bottomless resources. He's what we are hoping Mario Cristobal turns out to be. It's an effective model, if you have a guy with certain traits. Kirby has them, Mario appears to have them.
I can't stand UGA, but their formula works. I agree, we HOPE Mario has these traits. Man, I'm sick and tired of losing.

Advertisement
But recruiting a s*** ton of talent is a pretty good strength, no? Doesn’t deserve to be demeaned.
Richt recruited well at Georgia but never came very close to winning a NC.
If using the Bammer formula guarantees wins, why haven’t SarkesIan or Kiffen reached the playoffs?
I just look at results. You are what your record says you are, a famous man once said.
When Kirby interviewed with UGA, he basically laid out what it cost's to win, Richt was always in a constant battle for $$$ for program. Kirby got UGA to unbuckle the $$$$. long term UGA and alumni base has the $$$$ for NIL as well

Hiring the right people and putting the right personnel around oneself is absolutely a skill, and something that the jury is still out on for Mario, to put it lightly.
Kirby does that very well, yes they are accountable but they are not micro managed

Advertisement
Attention to details. Awareness.
Late in the game, OSU faked a punt and got a first down to keep a drive alive.
But wait…1/2 second before the snap Smart saw OSU lined up for a fake, went a little nuts and called timeout Just in time,
No first down. OSU punted for real and Ga. Got the ball back.

The art of game management is no small thing.
They were lined up incorrectly. Only coach ever to catch a misalignment.

Not a Bulldog fan, but give Smart his due. He's the best of the Saban proteges and is on the verge of back-to-back national titles, after having had a boat load of talent drafted in the NFL. Yeah, he's got some built in advantages - rich talent-base state, facilities/staff, resources/money and a supportive fan base, but a number of other coaches do and very few are winning at the same level. Took over what was a nice program under Richt, significantly raised the level of physicality and turned Georgia into a monster. Mario isn't at the same level in terms of advantages, though clearly is following the same Saban model.

Advertisement
Back